Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #81
Platinum Member

Default Absolutely correct.... all the RS models are 170 inch wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpshivers View Post
Yep, We almost bought a 4x4 Roadtrek CS Adventurous XL back in 2015 at the Pomona Fairgrounds RIVA Show that was there on display. We elected to order a standard 2016 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (2WD) instead, We didn't see the need for 4WD and the additional $9K to have it. The Roadtrek Adventurous Series are all 170" wheelbase Sprinters...
And, therein lies the problem... three companies have now officially told me, two via email.. that they will NOT guarantee their product to work on a 170 inch wheelbase...

May have to look at compact bicycles?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #82
Platinum Member

Have you considered a front hitch, we had one on our Ford F350 and used it a lot. But, I have no experience with a front hitch on the Sprinter. https://www.aluminess.com/mercedes/s...eceiver-hitch/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Have you considered a front hitch, we had one on our Ford F350 and used it a lot. But, I have no experience with a front hitch on the Sprinter. https://www.aluminess.com/mercedes/s...eceiver-hitch/
Hi George,

We don't have our Sprinter yet - on order for Sept.

But I have been researching bike racks and initially thought it would be a simple thing, but this thread with comments about possible issues on a 170" WB concern me. (Although I would have thought the biggest issue would be distance from the back axle to the bikes.)

Anyway I briefly looked at the front hitch option as we have carried bikes that way on our last three tow vehicles (al GMC trucks).

Several companies make a front hitch and I may well go that way.

The only issue that concerns me a bit is that the installation is a little more complicated that it was on our trucks.

You need to remove the MB grille and complete bumper assembly . not a big deal, but apart from a few bolts there are quite a few plastic clips and such.

I would be a bit concerned doing this on my own on a brand new vehicle with clor matched painted bumper. I'm reasonably handy, but woudn't want to put the first scratch on the vehicle the way!

I had my dealer contact PW to se if they would install one during
manufacture - nope!

The dealer said they could possibly add one for me but expressed concern about the paint.

I'm still thinking about that route and may see if our local MB dealership - or some local hitch shop that has done this before, would install one for me.

The front hitch worked fine for us on our several previous trucks although on the most recent one - 2500HD diesel - the bike rack wound up being too high and obstructed vision somewhat so I had to cut the rack tube down and reweld it.

Brian.

PS - apart from concerns apparently expressed by some rack manufacturers, I wonder if there have actually been many instances of forum members actually experiencing rack failure on teh rear of a 170WB sprinter ? Would be interesting to know.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #84
Platinum Member

Default Bicycle rack conundrum... Continued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hi George,

We don't have our Sprinter yet - on order for Sept.

But I have been researching bike racks and initially thought it would be a simple thing, but this thread with comments about possible issues on a 170" WB concern me. (Although I would have thought the biggest issue would be distance from the back axle to the bikes.)

Anyway I briefly looked at the front hitch option as we have carried bikes that way on our last three tow vehicles (al GMC trucks).

Several companies make a front hitch and I may well go that way.

The only issue that concerns me a bit is that the installation is a little more complicated that it was on our trucks.

You need to remove the MB grille and complete bumper assembly . not a big deal, but apart from a few bolts there are quite a few plastic clips and such.

I would be a bit concerned doing this on my own on a brand new vehicle with clor matched painted bumper. I'm reasonably handy, but woudn't want to put the first scratch on the vehicle the way!

I had my dealer contact PW to se if they would install one during

manufacture - nope!

The dealer said they could possibly add one for me but expressed concern about the paint.

I'm still thinking about that route and may see if our local MB dealership - or some local hitch shop that has done this before, would install one for me.

The front hitch worked fine for us on our several previous trucks although on the most recent one - 2500HD diesel - the bike rack wound up being too high and obstructed vision somewhat so I had to cut the rack tube down and reweld it.

Brian.

PS - apart from concerns apparently expressed by some rack manufacturers, I wonder if there have actually been many instances of forum members actually experiencing rack failure on teh rear of a 170WB sprinter ? Would be interesting to know.

I think what I was told is the 170's have a longer rear axle to hitch than the 144". I think people simply refer to the 170 being the issue for easy reference but it is the rear axle to hitch. I looked quickly for the difference in measurement between the 2 and couldn't find. Visually you can see the 170 van is further to the rear than the 144.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #85
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
I think what I was told is the 170's have a longer rear axle to hitch than the 144". I think people simply refer to the 170 being the issue for easy reference but it is the rear axle to hitch. I looked quickly for the difference in measurement between the 2 and couldn't find. Visually you can see the 170 van is further to the rear than the 144.

The difference can be calculated but regardless there is considerably more overhang on the 170 compared to the 144. The 170 shown is a RB. The EB is worse being 16" longer behind the rear axle. Yet you see many 170 RBs and EBs on the road with bicycles and storage boxes. Question begs, has anyone had a failure? I've read nothing about such in a 12 year stretch in any forum.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #86
Platinum Member

My thinking at the moment is to maybe go with a Wilco off roading swing hitch and to buy a rack separately to use with it (as well as maybe a small luggage rack for a portable bbq if we need it - the Wilco gives you two hitch receivers.

I do have welding equipt., and can easily make a small luggage rack if needed for a bbq and maybe lawn chairs - and I feel that I could also reinforce any commercial bike rack if the need were to arise.

(Current plan subject to change as I learn more about the subject!)

I still would like to hear from folks here that have actually experienced problems irrespective of what rack manufacturers say!

Brian
Old 06-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The difference can be calculated but regardless there is considerably more overhang on the 170 compared to the 144. The 170 shown is a RB. The EB is worse being 16" longer behind the rear axle. Yet you see many 170 RBs and EBs on the road with bicycles and storage boxes. Question begs, has anyone had a failure? I've read nothing about such in a 12 year stretch in any forum.
Think GregM posted earlier that he had a failure on his RT.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Hi Bob,

Yes - I just reviewed the thread and see the post you mentioned - I guess that is one make of bike carrier I would avoid! (Athough I think Greg said they have now modified the design.)

I suppose that when i buy a rack, if there were any fairly obvious points of possible failure in its design, I might consider "beefing it up" even before I install it, despite the fat that doing so would surely void any warranty!

Maybe a safety chain suitable attached might not be a bad thing either from the standpoint of liability should there ever be a failure!

Am I over-thinking this whole subject?! (A tendency I have - too much time on my hands being retired perhaps!)

Brian.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #89
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Think GregM posted earlier that he had a failure on his RT.
That's one. Personally I would not carry anything off the back of my van now. I do have a storage box for sale that I got for my Pleasure-way to carry two inflatable kayaks and learned that 150 lbs. is all I could safely carry without the front end feeling light. I also now think they defeat the purpose of class Bs of any length in being about to park just about anywhere.

My 144 Sprinter design is capable of storing two bicycles inside the van but at a cost of storing other stuff I consider more essential at least on long trips.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hi Bob,

Yes - I just reviewed the thread and see the post you mentioned - I guess that is one make of bike carrier I would avoid! (Athough I think Greg said they have now modified the design.)

I suppose that when i buy a rack, if there were any fairly obvious points of possible failure in its design, I might consider "beefing it up" even before I install it, despite the fat that doing so would surely void any warranty!

Maybe a safety chain suitable attached might not be a bad thing either from the standpoint of liability should there ever be a failure!

Am I over-thinking this whole subject?! (A tendency I have - too much time on my hands being retired perhaps!)

Brian.
I also think if you look at a few models like 1-Up super duty it says in FAQ it is ok for RV/Trailers so you just need to really get a good ($$$$) one IMO. I loved the 1-Up rack but my wife like the Kuat only due to the fact that it matched the vehicle better aesthetically and having the shorter span Kuat said we would be fine on our vehicle.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #91
Bronze Member

I’ve been looking at various web sites, kuat is the only brand that gives any guidance as not to install on an “RV”. Wow, but there are a thousand types of RV out there, all kinds of geometry and end use profiles... so it’s a pretty vague warning to be useful. Roadtrek camper vans are indeed rv’s but they are really highway passenger vans up-fitted with camping equipment instead of 15 passenger load. I have a Zion with class 3 receiver. I’m not too concerned about center of wheel to hitch receiver as it’s very similar to most cars. The wheelbase (159”) is slightly more than your average full size SUV but not compared to a lot of trucks on the road today. I don’t see how wheel base is the critical factor. Moment arm from rear wheel axle certainly is, and of course the load conditions ie: the way you drive, the frequency and magnitude of bumps encountered, the total installed weight on the carrier etc. I bought a rocky mounts backstage. I’ve listened to a lot of rather vague concerns, and thought about factors related to “will it break” and I’m not concerned. I will however continue to periodically visually inspect key areas for early signs of fatigue and degradation, but I’m not particularly concerned about use of the hitch carrier that I bought - on the promaster or sprinter vans which are operated on highways under pretty conservative operating conditions, ie not off road. Comments?
rclemins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #92
Platinum Member

Many options indeed! We all pay our money and make our choice!

I have not entirely given up on the option of a front mounted rack either as it ahhs worked so well for us for over 20 years on tow vehicles.

I don't foresee having more than 150# on the back - I have seen examples of huge boxes as well as bikes being carried and I would not consider doing that.

I do want a swing rack in order to maintain emergency egress from the back doors.

Don't believe I would over consider carrying bikes inside though!

My planned use would be just to carry the bikes to destination then remove bikes and rack for touring locally with the van - unless we want the bikes along with us for some reason in which case of course I'd just have to live with the increased length.

Cheers ...... Brian
Old 06-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #93
Platinum Member

When I bought an electric fat bike I looked at the options for bike racks that are recommended for RV use and capable of handling the 50+ lb weight of an electric bike times 2. Rad Power bikes recommends a heavy duty Hollywood rack and that is what I bought, you can see the model on their website but I bought it from etrailer.

The other one I found and considered was the 1 Up super duty and I think it is probably a more robust rack but about twice the price of the Hollywood. I am going to evaluate the Hollywood after our trip to Alaska and see how it works out. May switch to the 1 Up if I find the Hollywood is not working out for any reason.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #94
Platinum Member

Helpful post Greg - Thanks - I will be checking out those racks!

Brian.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #95
Platinum Member

As I mentioned in a prior comment, adding two support straps from the bike rack to the top of the rear doors on a van will prevent the vertical (and also sideways) oscillations that lead to rack failure when the rack is far from the rear wheels. Hitchrider sells straps designed for this or you can make some. Theirs are set up to go over the top of the door and get captured when you close the door.

See the Top Hand straps on this page...

Hitch Rider Bike and Trike Rack Accessories and Components
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #96
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclemins View Post
Looks fine... the rockymounts backstage is similar but incorporating the swing arm and bike rack in one design, so it’s less complicated and slightly more economical. Works with my promaster... absolutely no complaints thus far...
+1. Just installed the rockymounts on my rig as well. Working great so far..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rack with bikes.jpg (124.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg rack with bikes open.jpg (120.4 KB, 16 views)
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #97
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
When I bought an electric fat bike I looked at the options for bike racks that are recommended for RV use and capable of handling the 50+ lb weight of an electric bike times 2. Rad Power bikes recommends a heavy duty Hollywood rack and that is what I bought, you can see the model on their website but I bought it from etrailer.

The other one I found and considered was the 1 Up super duty and I think it is probably a more robust rack but about twice the price of the Hollywood. I am going to evaluate the Hollywood after our trip to Alaska and see how it works out. May switch to the 1 Up if I find the Hollywood is not working out for any reason.

I looked at these ones too. Great options, but I chose the rocky mounts for its fully integrated swing arm / frame mount. It’s so convenient to not take the bikes off or tamper with the locks before opening the rear doors... the 1upusa is the only one in which you can leave the rack on the receiver, but you still have to take the bikes off to open the doors. It’s certainly possible to buy various separate swing arms that work with any hitch rack, but the increased weight and moment arm on the van receiver if it can be avoided, it’s a good thing. For sprinters and promaster owners who want unfettered access to the back doors, I don’t think there’s a better option....
Old 06-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #98
Bronze Member

Looks great kite rider. I put a piece of 2 x 4 under the outer swivel when the swing arm is fully extended to take the moment off the van. Feels solid. Also, try flipping your bikes around so the inner bike handle bars are reversed. They will fit the van better, you can fully open the swing arm. You have to switch the support bars on the rack... The bAckstage is super useful. It’s easy to make a cargo rack from it as well...
Old 06-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #99
Platinum Member

Greg

The straps look like an interesting addition, do you already use them?

I thought the straps might use plasticised metal brackets that would hook over the door edge and was concerned about paint damage or deformation of the door itself.

But from the picture, I assume that the "dumbbell looking thing" on the end of the strap that presumably has foam on the ends gets trapped inside the door to hold the top end of the strap? Looks a good approach

Trust there is nothing on the inside of the door that PW or RT might have added that would become damaged?

My thought, - if I did not buy a really robust make of platform bike carrier that needed no reinforcement - was that I might weld a tie bar or a couple of gusset plates from the rack upright post to a point to the horizontal hitch bar back near the hitch receiver in order to beef up the rack 90degree joint where upright meets horizontal before starting to use the rack.

Have a great trip!

Brian.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #100
Mfm
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
And this was a standard length Sprinter so, as noted before, if you have an extended length Sprinter it is going to have an even higher risk of rack failure...
Was this the 19.5 foot Sprinter? Sprinter Agile? Just wondering since that is what I have.
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote