Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #141
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
. . . as I wouldn't have thought that their doors were designed with this sort of use in mind. Perhaps it has been all checked out and approved.
This one is definitely for the ProMaster but we think they have similar models for other vehicles. This is the rack - - which replaces the Fiamma - - that Winnebago is now delivering on their Travato.

We do have some concern about 'door integrity' - - not from our installation/use, but we did run into a new Travato owner who did experience door damage - - the outer skin separated along the inner fold (the inside being the edge adjacent the latch). Hoping this is not an endemic problem.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #142
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
This one is definitely for the ProMaster but we think they have similar models for other vehicles. This is the rack - - which replaces the Fiamma - - that Winnebago is now delivering on their Travato.

We do have some concern about 'door integrity' - - not from our installation/use, but we did run into a new Travato owner who did experience door damage - - the outer skin separated along the inner fold (the inside being the edge adjacent the latch). Hoping this is not an endemic problem.
Hope all goes well - I imagine there must be spotwelds all along at that inner fold so obviously could be fixed. although I guess a repaint of the door would be in order.

It surely looks like a neat rack though!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #143
Platinum Member

Weekend get away. Figure this pic belongs here.

Although I can tilt this rack down with the bikes on to open the left door I really want a RakAttach so I can swing this out of the way for both doors.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #144
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Weekend get away. Figure this pic belongs here.

Although I can tilt this rack down with the bikes on to open the left door I really want a RakAttach so I can swing this out of the way for both doors.
Looks good! What is that gadget on the end of the rack? (extreme end, away from the van).

As well as the Rack Attach side swing device, there is a pretty substantial one from Wilco Offroad and also one from Kuat.

I am still deciding what to do before we get our Plateau this Fall

My thoughts keep changing and my current favourite is to buy the Wilco
"HitchSwing" and use it with one of the RV approved bike racks made by "Swagman"

I suspect I will also weld up a small removable cargo rack that would clamp onto the Swagman hitch just to carry a small & light weber bbq and maybe a ground mat and two folding camp chairs just to keep them out of the van. It would add very little extra weight and since our bikes don't weigh much I cannot see it being a problem - other than that caused by the extra length.

Incidentally I have been in touch recently with customer service people at Thule. they make a 2" hitch mount hanging bike rack with an integrated side swing device. They confirmed to me that it would be a good fit with the Mercedes Van.

I replied back to him asking if he could double check suitability, as I had heard Thule racks were not approved for use on a MB 3500 170" wheelbase cargo van.

He did check with a senior person in the department and emailed me back to say that any of their racks designed for a 2" receiver would be suitable for this vehicle. I suppose not for a rack intended for an 1-1/4" hitch and using a 2" adapter.

Seems different folk as questions of these companies and get different answers!

I suspect sometimes when the word "RV" enters the discussion with some of the customer service people, they go by their instructions and everything is lumped into the same category and tarred with the same brush whereas obviously "RV" covers a wide variety of configurations!

Brian.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 AM   #145
Platinum Member

Thumbs down Brian.. maybe yes, maybe no

Quote:
Looks good! What is that gadget on the end of the rack? (extreme end, away from the van).

As well as the Rack Attach side swing device, there is a pretty substantial one from Wilco Offroad and also one from Kuat.

I am still deciding what to do before we get our Plateau this Fall

My thoughts keep changing and my current favourite is to buy the Wilco
"HitchSwing" and use it with one of the RV approved bike racks made by "Swagman"

I suspect I will also weld up a small removable cargo rack that would clamp onto the Swagman hitch just to carry a small & light weber bbq and maybe a ground mat and two folding camp chairs just to keep them out of the van. It would add very little extra weight and since our bikes don't weigh much I cannot see it being a problem - other than that caused by the extra length.

Incidentally I have been in touch recently with customer service people at Thule. they make a 2" hitch mount hanging bike rack with an integrated side swing device. They confirmed to me that it would be a good fit with the Mercedes Van.

I replied back to him asking if he could double check suitability, as I had heard Thule racks were not approved for use on a MB 3500 170" wheelbase cargo van.

He did check with a senior person in the department and emailed me back to say that any of their racks designed for a 2" receiver would be suitable for this vehicle. I suppose not for a rack intended for an 1-1/4" hitch and using a 2" adapter.

Seems different folk as questions of these companies and get different answers!

I suspect sometimes when the word "RV" enters the discussion with some of the customer service people, they go by their instructions and everything is lumped into the same category and tarred with the same brush whereas obviously "RV" covers a wide variety of configurations!

Brian.
I would advise you to proceed with caution....a Thule representative who had a 30 minute conversation with me...and yes he knew exactly what my 170 inch Sprinter 3500 was ...he would not warranty it or sell it to me.... Same thing with Yakima.... I got an actual email from Thule....

Now... I did find a solution for a Kuat rack with a swing away .. EXCEPT that I went to an REI store... they tried to fit this on my Sprinter and you know what.... there wasn't enough clearance to open the rear doors....

Good luck...

---MARK
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #146
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Now... I did find a solution for a Kuat rack with a swing away .. EXCEPT that I went to an REI store... they tried to fit this on my Sprinter and you know what.... there wasn't enough clearance to open the rear doors....
''

Was the swing away you tried at REI the Kuat Pivot? It appears to come in just one size. The Rack Attach comes in three sizes and it's hard to believe that the large model wouldn't provide sufficient clearance for the Sprinter doors.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #147
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would advise you to proceed with caution....a Thule representative who had a 30 minute conversation with me...and yes he knew exactly what my 170 inch Sprinter 3500 was ...he would not warranty it or sell it to me.... Same thing with Yakima.... I got an actual email from Thule....

Good luck...

---MARK

Hi Mark, thanks,

Something weird gong on with Thule for sure - I too have emails from their customer service - but saying exactly the opposite! And I did specify exactly the same vehicle - Sprinter 3500 cargo van with 170"wheelbase - not XL model.

When I got the reply that their 2" racks were good for this application, I replied and told the rep that someone else had been told Thule racks were not suitable and would he mind double-checking. Later I got another email from him advising that he had consulted with a senior person within the department and was confirming to me that their racks designed for 2" receivers were ok for this specific vehicle.

Don't know what gives here but you got your emails and I got mine!

I think I will take your advise though and avoid Thule just because of this confusion and contradictory info!

I will likely go with "Hollywood" who have told me their racks are ok with the 170WB sprinter, or with one of Swagman's "RV Approved" racks.

Strange too about the Kuat swing hitch I am sure I have read posts from others who are using this device on Sprinters - maybe different Model years?

Rak Attach make three sizes of swing device, and I am told you need the large one for the Sprinter.

The Wilco Off road "Hitchswing" looks to me to be the most substantial of the side swing adapters, and when I contacted them I was told that their design was actually initially developed on a Sprinter. Again, I have read posts of people using this make on their Sprinters

Cheers ...... Brian.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #148
Platinum Member

Default Be careful

Quote:
Hi Mark, thanks,

Something weird gong on with Thule for sure - I too have emails from their customer service - but saying exactly the opposite! And I did specify exactly the same vehicle - Sprinter 3500 cargo van with 170"wheelbase - not XL model.

When I got the reply that their 2" racks were good for this application, I replied and told the rep that someone else had been told Thule racks were not suitable and would he mind double-checking. Later I got another email from him advising that he had consulted with a senior person within the department and was confirming to me that their racks designed for 2" receivers were ok for this specific vehicle.

Don't know what gives here but you got your emails and I got mine!

I think I will take your advise though and avoid Thule just because of this confusion and contradictory info!

I will likely go with "Hollywood" who have told me their racks are ok with the 170WB sprinter, or with one of Swagman's "RV Approved" racks.

Strange too about the Kuat swing hitch I am sure I have read posts from others who are using this device on Sprinters - maybe different Model years?

Rak Attach make three sizes of swing device, and I am told you need the large one for the Sprinter.

The Wilco Off road "Hitchswing" looks to me to be the most substantial of the side swing adapters, and when I contacted them I was told that their design was actually initially developed on a Sprinter. Again, I have read posts of people using this make on their Sprinters

Cheers ...... Brian.
Brian,

Here's the exact message I got from Patti at Thule........

We cannot recommend any of our carriers be installed on RV, Motor Homes, trailers or towed vehicle. The suspension is far different than on passenger automobiles by design. Mainly the rear axle is much farther forward as compared to a passenger vehicle. Thus, any road vibrations or bumps, are amplified over the longer distance which is transferred to the carrier and bikes, so that scenario poses a risk to the equipment, the carrier, as well as the receiver it is installed into.

The. 30 minute telephone conversation was with Yakima...no email..... can't remember the person's name..... but, my REI store was so surprised that this happened..he called them as well and got the same representative who told them the same thing.....no dice on the 170 inch wheelbase....

I was really hoping to make the Kuat bicycle rack work.... turned out that there's some bracket on the rack that's an impediment to opening the rear doors.....I'm going to see if their Sherpa rack would be different...the guy from REI put the rack and receiver on my Sprinter and we could not open the door.... again.. emergency exit.... and getting the doors open from the back WITHOUT removing the entire rack is essential..

---MARK
Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #149
Platinum Member

I suppose the best way to get a valid response is to not mention that you have an RV and describe it as a Sprinter van with the length and wheelbase specified. They may have a blanket response about RV usage without regard for the fact that it is a camper van.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #150
Platinum Member

Hello Mark,

Patti's message sounds pretty definitive although she doesn't mention the Sprinter - just RV's trailers, towed vehicles, and I wonder if that is why the response you got differs from mine - RV is a very generic term - some Class C motorhomes and trailers have exceedingly large rear overhangs and maybe in Patti's "Answer list" she just has a response for RV's.

Who knows! Anyway, I have put together a transcript of the exchange of emails that I had with Thule Customer Service below .......... Darned if I know what to think, except that unless this somehow is clarified I guess I won't buy a Thule or Yakima!

Exchange of emails 20 June 2018 with Thule Customer Service in which I have been told that any of Thule's 2" size bike racks will be
ok to use on a 170" wheel base Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Cargo Van.

(Newest message at top so go right to the bottom and read up!)

Tyler Kennedy (Thule)
Jun 20, 22:10 CEST

Any 2" compatible units
Best Wishes,
Tyler Kennedy
Thule Customer Service

Bricon1
Jun 20, 21:46 CEST

Thanks again Tyler.

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to be sure I understand! Does he mean I could use any Thule model that can fit a 2" receiver on my van, or just certain models?

If it is just certain models, could you let me know my choices svp.

Your help much appreciated - I want to get it right!

Cheers ................ Brian M.

Tyler Kennedy (Thule)
Jun 20, 21:33 CEST

Checked into it with a senior rep and he confirmed this is a fit for this vehicle
Best Wishes,
Tyler Kennedy
Thule Customer Service

Bricon1

Hi Tyler, Thanks,

I do indeed intend to use the 2" hitch on the van for the bike rack. The hitch receiver it is rated at 5000lbs towing and 500lbs tongue weight, so it will be more than adequate for use with a
bike rack.

However - I did read "Second hand" information on the internet (not always the best source of 100% reliable information!) that Thule did not support use of their bike racks
on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis with 170" wheelbase.

So before buying one, I felt it best to check directly this with Thule myself.

Is this something you might wish to double check, just to confirm that any Thule hitch intended for use with a 2" hitch receiver would be ok for my situation?

Thanks again .............. Brian M.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************

Tyler Kennedy (Thule)
Jun 20, 17:52 CEST

We would only recommend a hitch mount on a sprinter van
Best Wishes,
Tyler Kennedy
Thule Customer Service

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************************
Bricon1
Jun 20, 15:43 CEST

Hello - can you tell me which - if any - of your bike racks would be suitable for my camping van based on a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 cargo van 170"WB (not the XL extended version.) I would like to use the rack with a side swing mount if it does not already incorporate that feature.

Many thanks ......... Brian M.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #151
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I suppose the best way to get a valid response is to not mention that you have an RV and describe it as a Sprinter van with the length and wheelbase specified. They may have a blanket response about RV usage without regard for the fact that it is a camper van.
Hi Greg,

That is also my best guess also at what may be going on here, many other RVs certainly do have huge rear overhangs in comparison to the Sprinters.

Especially ones like 30 foot class C's - I wonder how they ever get into many of the gas stations due to elevation issues at entrances and exits!

Brian
Old 06-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #152
Platinum Member

That is a clamp to hold the bike if you need to perform maintenance, tires etc.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 06-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #153
Platinum Member

Quote:
Brian,

Here's the exact message I got from Patti at Thule........

We cannot recommend any of our carriers be installed on RV, Motor Homes, trailers or towed vehicle. The suspension is far different than on passenger automobiles by design. Mainly the rear axle is much farther forward as compared to a passenger vehicle. Thus, any road vibrations or bumps, are amplified over the longer distance which is transferred to the carrier and bikes, so that scenario poses a risk to the equipment, the carrier, as well as the receiver it is installed into.

The. 30 minute telephone conversation was with Yakima...no email..... can't remember the person's name..... but, my REI store was so surprised that this happened..he called them as well and got the same representative who told them the same thing.....no dice on the 170 inch wheelbase....

I was really hoping to make the Kuat bicycle rack work.... turned out that there's some bracket on the rack that's an impediment to opening the rear doors.....I'm going to see if their Sherpa rack would be different...the guy from REI put the rack and receiver on my Sprinter and we could not open the door.... again.. emergency exit.... and getting the doors open from the back WITHOUT removing the entire rack is essential..

---MARK
The Kuat I have tips down and with bikes still on the rack you can open the rear doors. I can't open the door with the Spare tire but you would be able to do so.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #154
Platinum Member

Default Brian... I was incorrect.....the Kuat Pivot and NV2 will work...it's just EXPENSIVE

Quote:
Hello Mark,

Patti's message sounds pretty definitive although she doesn't mention the Sprinter - just RV's trailers, towed vehicles, and I wonder if that is why the response you got differs from mine - RV is a very generic term - some Class C motorhomes and trailers have exceedingly large rear overhangs and maybe in Patti's "Answer list" she just has a response for RV's.

Who knows! Anyway, I have put together a transcript of the exchange of emails that I had with Thule Customer Service below .......... Darned if I know what to think, except that unless this somehow is clarified I guess I won't buy a Thule or Yakima!

Exchange of emails 20 June 2018 with Thule Customer Service in which I have been told that any of Thule's 2" size bike racks will be
ok to use on a 170" wheel base Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Cargo Van.

(Newest message at top so go right to the bottom and read up!)

Tyler Kennedy (Thule)
Jun 20, 22:10 CEST

Any 2" compatible units
Best Wishes,
Tyler Kennedy
Thule Customer Service

Bricon1
Jun 20, 21:46 CEST

Thanks again Tyler.

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to be sure I understand! Does he mean I could use any Thule model that can fit a 2" receiver on my van, or just certain models?

If it is just certain models, could you let me know my choices svp.

Your help much appreciated - I want to get it right!

Cheers ................ Brian M.

Tyler Kennedy (Thule)
Jun 20, 21:33 CEST

Checked into it with a senior rep and he confirmed this is a fit for this vehicle
Best Wishes,
Tyler Kennedy
Thule Customer Service

Bricon1

Hi Tyler, Thanks,

I do indeed intend to use the 2" hitch on the van for the bike rack. The hitch receiver it is rated at 5000lbs towing and 500lbs tongue weight, so it will be more than adequate for use with a
bike rack.

However - I did read "Second hand" information on the internet (not always the best source of 100% reliable information!) that Thule did not support use of their bike racks
on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis with 170" wheelbase.

So before buying one, I felt it best to check directly this with Thule myself.

Is this something you might wish to double check, just to confirm that any Thule hitch intended for use with a 2" hitch receiver would be ok for my situation?

Thanks again .............. Brian M.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************

Tyler Kennedy (Thule)
Jun 20, 17:52 CEST

We would only recommend a hitch mount on a sprinter van
Best Wishes,
Tyler Kennedy
Thule Customer Service

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************************
Bricon1
Jun 20, 15:43 CEST

Hello - can you tell me which - if any - of your bike racks would be suitable for my camping van based on a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 cargo van 170"WB (not the XL extended version.) I would like to use the rack with a side swing mount if it does not already incorporate that feature.

Many thanks ......... Brian M.
Brian, the guy I went to see at first didn't realize and didn't have the Kuat Pivot for my Sprinter...so, he tried to just install the NV2 and it was too close by just a little.....I talked again directly with Kuat....they assured me that with the Pivot swing away from them the NV 2 would work... and more importantly.... they will warranty the product on my vehicle....

Maybe all of these solutions are extremely expensive..? The two together are just over $1,000 with tax...... ONLY money I guess...

Safe travels .... I would rather spend the money on this than risk a failure.....
Besides, that NV2 rack is a beautiful piece of equipment...the pictures don't do it justice.... when you see it in person with the finely polished details.... you'll understand why it's the price it is.. It's certainly one of the more expensive products out there....

I see that Bob has the Kuat NV2 with the Wilco swing away or Swagman.....I'd rather go with a single source solution from Kuat to keep the sole responsibility with them... here's WHY.....I don't one of these parts to fail and get into a debate about which company is at fault....by purchasing the same company product for both devices... they are guaranteeing the products to work together....see what I mean?

Good luck...
Old 06-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #155
Platinum Member

Default BOB....the PROBLEM solved... thanks.....

Quote:
The Kuat I have tips down and with bikes still on the rack you can open the rear doors. I can't open the door with the Spare tire but you would be able to do so.
Bob,

You're absolutely correct.... the guy at REI was not using the Pivot Swing and the NV2 together.....

I'm going to get the Kuat Pivot and NV2.... Kuat says it will absolutely work...and I believe them...the NV2 was just a few inches away or less from allowing me to open the door....the Pivot Swing will set the rack back much further....

Did you use the Wilco swing on yours because of the Continental wheel kit????

---MARK
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #156
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bob,

You're absolutely correct.... the guy at REI was not using the Pivot Swing and the NV2 together.....

I'm going to get the Kuat Pivot and NV2.... Kuat says it will absolutely work...and I believe them...the NV2 was just a few inches away or less from allowing me to open the door....the Pivot Swing will set the rack back much further....

Did you use the Wilco swing on yours because of the Continental wheel kit????

---MARK

Hi. I don’t have a swing away arm on mine so with the rack on I can’t open the side with the tire unless I pull the rack off. It does pivot down and I am fully able to open my other door. Depending on how many trips will involve bikes I would like to have a swing away device added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #157
Platinum Member

Default No swing away... I see....

Quote:
Hi. I don’t have a swing away arm on mine so with the rack on I can’t open the side with the tire unless I pull the rack off. It does pivot down and I am fully able to open my other door. Depending on how many trips will involve bikes I would like to have a swing away device added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob, thanks for this picture..... SO...you have the Kuat NV2?? Or at least it looks like that in one of your earlier pictures??

First, how do you like the rack..if you have that??
And, was there a reason you could NOT use their Pivot Swing??
I imagine it was the Continental wheel????

I wouldn't like the idea of taking the rack on and off the vehicle...once mine is installed...it stays there...

----MARK
Old 06-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #158
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bob, thanks for this picture..... SO...you have the Kuat NV2?? Or at least it looks like that in one of your earlier pictures??

First, how do you like the rack..if you have that??
And, was there a reason you could NOT use their Pivot Swing??
I imagine it was the Continental wheel????

I wouldn't like the idea of taking the rack on and off the vehicle...once mine is installed...it stays there...

----MARK
It is a Kuat NV 2.0 - not sure what the '.0' means.

I didn't look yet at the swing but am only guessing the tire may interfere. It is easy enough to take off though. If we end up doing more bike type adventures I will look closer to see if the swing will fit but for now we just use like this and the tilt-down feature is fine for the door to clear even with the bike attached.

Like it very much. I personally like the 1-up from its "ruggedness appearance". We got the Kuat as it looks like a really good match to the van.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #159
Platinum Member

Default Question about your license plate on rear of vehicle??

Quote:
It is a Kuat NV 2.0 - not sure what the '.0' means.

I didn't look yet at the swing but am only guessing the tire may interfere. It is easy enough to take off though. If we end up doing more bike type adventures I will look closer to see if the swing will fit but for now we just use like this and the tilt-down feature is fine for the door to clear even with the bike attached.

Like it very much. I personally like the 1-up from its "ruggedness appearance". We got the Kuat as it looks like a really good match to the van.
Bob, I noticed that with your bicycles on the vehicle... you can't see the license plate.... I'm not complaining... I don't need to see it... BUT... what about the highway patrol???

FYI...on the Kuat website.. yes, they call the rack an "NV 2.0"... it's the successor to the original NV rack..

---MARK
Old 06-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #160
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bob, I noticed that with your bicycles on the vehicle... you can't see the license plate.... I'm not complaining... I don't need to see it... BUT... what about the highway patrol???

FYI...on the Kuat website.. yes, they call the rack an "NV 2.0"... it's the successor to the original NV rack..

---MARK
I'm guessing that you could be ticketed - or at least given a warning - about license plate visibility, but it may never happen!

Similar to the 20 years I spent carrying bikes on the front of our trucks. I believe technically you are not supposed to have anything that obstructs vision in any way, or blocks your headlights. But I never had any issues of that whole period of time.

I'd likely take my chances too with the license - and then certainly, I would fix it, if I ever did get a ticket or warning - but that's me!

It should not be difficult to relocate the license plate

In fact Wilco offer a license plate relocation attachment for their "Hitchswing" even an LED license plate light.

I am awaiting a bit more info from Hitch swing at the moment. I would like to leave the swing mechanism on the van and just remove the bike rack when not using it for a while.

However, the design of the Hitchswing is such that it raises the swinging
2" receiver about 5" (It retains the normal receiver position as well so you actually have 2 accessible receivers) so I don't know if the higher receiver would block the door even without bikes on it, meaning you would have to swing it aside each and every time you wanted to open the back doors.

That is not an issue with the Kuat because the receiver is not raised from normal.

The Wilco has 350lb capacity though compared to 250lb I think for the Kuat.

I would like as much capacity as I can get, as I also intend to fabricate a small cargo tray just for a little weber bbq and a few light items to be carried aft of our two bikes.

The small cargo tray will be mounted to the bike rack via an added 1'1/4 hitch receiver I will likely clamp onto the bike rack's 2" drawbar, and so, will move on the same swing hitch along with the bikes. Of course te rack will be further out, but I doubt the cargo load will exceed 50lbs, and the rack maybe 25lbs. Our bikes weigh 25lbs each.

Brian.