Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Default bigfoot class b

hi everyone, I am new to this forum and looking for advice or comments on a possible purchase of a 1995 bigfoot camper van. I hear the company is extinct and not many of these units were made. What would be a fair price and will I be able to get any oem parts down the road if needed. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. The van is a Canadian model with 72000 kms and 17 hours on the onan 2800 genset, awning and air conditioning and the usual class b interior items.
cheers, john
m38_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: bigfoot class b

I'm fairly sure I saw the listing just now and think it is priced right. In fact that's the exact amount I thought before seeing the ad.
I would not move much on that price if I was selling it. It looks to be in really good shape from the photos.

Make sure there is no rust. Check the age of the tires - I bought a 1997 that had 15 year old tires on it - way too old! A new set of tires cost me just under $1,000.

It is a good idea to get it checked by a mechanic to see if it needs brakes or anything. On the RV side it's 18 years old so you might need to fix or replace a thing or two in the coming years but I still think the asking price is reasonable.

Edit: The hours on the Onan are very low which means it was not run monthly as recommended by Onan. If it works that's great but I would follow Onan's instruction to "exercise" the generator monthly going forward. If the Onan doesn't run then get a quote to get it fixed before buying the van because the repair bills can be high on that.

And, you won't be able to get Bigfoot specific parts like the running boards or interior trim but that stuff is usually repairable or easy enough to find someone who can make it. The other items like the fridge and water heater can be replaced if ever not repairable. That is the same for older vans by manufacturers that are still in business. They won't have the stuff for them either.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

17 hours on the genset? Before even reaching to start that up, I'd change the oil on that. Most likely you are going to be out the cost of a carb, perhaps slip rings and other stuff if the generator head corroded.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If you live anywhere near Kitchener/Waterloo, take it to Don's Trailer Service if the Onan needs service after you try it out.
They're just down the road from the Roadtrek factory. They could probably do the rest of the RV system checks as well. I had a problem with my Onan a few years back, and they were able to fix it fairly easily. Wasn't cheap, I think around $400 to remove/repair/replace the unit in my van. It's been fine ever since. They suggested the regular exercise routine as the best PM for a generator, particularly Onans.

M38? Dosvedanya?