Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 02:27 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Bike Cover = Wind Drag

Anybody use a 2 bike cover on a hanging hitch-mount bike rack.? I wonder how much wind resistance it will create on the back of a Roadtrek or is having it close to the rear doors keep it inside the slip stream?

Here is what it looks like before I had it all tied down .

Thanks
03C170P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211130_145058.jpg (282.9 KB, 34 views)
ovsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovsa View Post
Anybody use a 2 bike cover on a hanging hitch-mount bike rack.? I wonder how much wind resistance it will create on the back of a Roadtrek or is having it close to the rear doors keep it inside the slip stream?

Here is what it looks like before I had it all tied down .

Thanks
03C170P
Hi, we have the older Swagman hitch bike rack with the Swagman 2 bike bag (now hard to find) and it works pretty well . I have the long tail hitch receiver because we have a storage box behind the door. I think that the secret is having a full zipper around the bag, to avoid the airstream coming from underneath the van, but if you keep it close to the van (your case) and keep the strap tight you should be Ok.
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Silver Member

thanks.

I hadn't thought of the billowing effect, only the flat-on wind sheer.

It would have been nice to have the zipper at the bottom but mine doesn't. I added a bunch of grommets all the way around the bottom to use bungees or zip ties. Ill have to try to keep the bottom opening as closed as possible.
I wonder if putting in a few grommets here and there near the top might keep it from billowing out by allowing some air to escape?

Thanks for your input
Old 12-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
thanks.

I hadn't thought of the billowing effect, only the flat-on wind sheer.

It would have been nice to have the zipper at the bottom but mine doesn't. I added a bunch of grommets all the way around the bottom to use bungees or zip ties. Ill have to try to keep the bottom opening as closed as possible.
I wonder if putting in a few grommets here and there near the top might keep it from billowing out by allowing some air to escape?

Thanks for your input
If you do not have a backup camera, it would be interesting to 'see' the bike cover at 70 mph. After mounting ebike and cover, I did not think to purchase a camera and 'see'. Later I did add an inexpensive wireless for $49.99. Easy to mount, install with a 05 Roadtrek 190P.

So far, I have not used the bike with the B since mounting the camera. Been to lazy to mount the bike to simply take a look.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
Silver Member

Care to share a link on that wireless camera? I might have to consider that.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Care to share a link on that wireless camera? I might have to consider that.

Thanks
Turns out that is 'currently unavailable', Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although it looks like it would be a license plate install, I did not since the bike is in the way! I used the top center running light for power, not back up lights. I turn on the running lights to see the display. The camera is mounted just over the brake light.

I only use the display for backing up mostly, not driving but could, rather the mirror for driving.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Camera mounting location

My camera is mounted on the top of the vehicle so I have an unobstructed view of the rear.

To the best of my knowledge, putting a cover on your bicycles will cause a wind drag and it's not advised, but, make your own decisions about this. I'm not worried about our bicycles getting wet. They have sealed gear hubs and are designed to be ridden in the rain if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg markup_1535247396.jpg (367.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200313_122600.jpg (313.8 KB, 8 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Silver Member

yes. its not so much the rain I'm worried about , but the salt, grit and sand that i will pick up on an extended trip through snow country. I don't plan on using them for awhile until warmer climate so they'll just be sitting there. Theft deterrent also comes into play.
I'm goin to add several grommet holes to the top of the cover to prevent it from ballooning up. We'll see how that goes. Thanks
Old 12-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I gave up on bike covers on our Sprinter. I have 2 Aluminess rear bumper boxes with bike racks on top of the boxes so they are up higher by the Sprinter rear windows (but below the roof line). They are as close as possible to the rear doors.

No matter how well I tied them down, they all eventually started to tear in a short time. They also flapped so much in the wind that my wife complained about the noise when she was sitting on our rear couch when traveling. They kept the bikes a little cleaner and drier but there was just too much wind while driving to make them work. I bought the best ones I could find but no matter how much I paid for them, they never lasted very long. I wouldn't waste money on them anymore.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I understand. We don't put the bicycles on the vehicle until we're ready to take them somewhere and we don't go to snow country or drive on dirt roads..... unless it's going 5 MPH in the campgrounds. Our bicycles are city bikes so I wouldn't even take them to the back country...no point.

As far as theft is concerned.... yes, it can happen....we lock up our bicycles to the rig with several locks..... one of those is a Kryptonite lock.... heck, if they're that desperate to saw through the Kryptonite.....I'd say that they're willing to do anything...... it's not worth worrying about it.....

Besides, it's all about managing your risk by choosing a better location to park......I'm very careful about that and choose locations wisely.

We're NOT ever going to be full timers and if we're home the bikes are in the garage...... they are only on the vehicle for very short periods of time.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #11
Silver Member

That's good to know. Kind of what I thought.
Seeing as I have already bought the cover and modified it with grommets all along the bottom so I can put ratchet straps and bungee everywhere, I might as well give it a try. If it rips it will be the last one I buy.
That's the reason I bought a less expensive one..made for covering the bikes at home or on the deck , not the travel kind which are pricier.

So no big loss if it doesn't work out.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #12

Default Bike cover

Hello everyone, I travel with two ebikes on my RT 210P. I use an ATV cover and then use a cargo net to hold it all together. The cover is a little floppy but the cargo net holds everything together nicely.
I first used a bungee cord cargo net the fit was nicer but the sun ate it up in no time. Got the nylon strap cargo net the straps that came with it really help in tightening it up. You just need to be aware about bellowing when putting it all together.
Got everything from Princess Auto in Canada.
Vic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #13
Bronze Member

This setup works great for me.
Got the bike cover from Amazon and the cargo net and adjustable bungees from Harbor Freight.
Minimal flapping and keeps my e-Bike clean.

Bike Cover 1.jpg

Bike Cover 2.jpg
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have seen some bikes, or other stuff under covers, held tight with packing stretch wrap. A roll of it is cheap at the home center and pulls tight and holds. Cut off and pitch it each time as it is so inexpensive. Best option I have actually seen and pretty clever.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote