Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

Default Bike rack ?

I have just purchased 2 electric Bikes and would like to take them with us on a cross country trip next year, I am looking for advise and recommendation as to what bike rack I should be looking at, My van is a 2011 pleasure way Luxor on a chevy 3500 express chassis, I will need the rack to be a swing away so we can access the two rear doors, the bikes are 60lb each with the batteries on, which they won't be while we are traveling in the van, I was told that a swing away rack cuts the tongue weight in half so I need a light weight but strong unit,
Thanks inadvace, Bob S
rpns51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #2

Kuat makes a great swing away hitch rated up to 400 lbs. Find a platform bike rack and not a hanging rack. There are many to choose from.
JMKirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #3

Default Bike rack

We use the Thule bike rack for our two electric bikes
Canscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #4

I use this one. My bike weight approximately 70 pounds each, with batteries, which can be removed, but don’t think it’s really necessary, as the rack seems to be a little underrated.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

here is what we use
https://rockymounts.com/backstage/
One Townie electra
one Blix sol
20 k miles so far no problems
We really like how far is swings away
good hunting
Micgael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #6

Default Override bike rack

I use the override bike rack. It has held up very well and will swing down to give access. I picked it up on Amazon as well

I went a step further and put a hitch on the front of my 2006 Pleasureway Plateau. The bikes go up front and don’t interfere with anything ! Plus I can see them as we go down the road !

A stowaway box came on my rig when we bought it used. Love this front and back combo !
gjconnolly92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:59 PM   #7
Bronze Member

We use a Kuat 2.0 swing away and a Hollywood rack for our two Rad ebikes on our 2020 Pleasureway Plateau FL. I also added led trailor lights on the rack to be more visible when I use the cover. I also remove the batteries to reduce weight since each bike weighs 60lbs w/o batteries.
Dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeman View Post
I use this one. My bike weight approximately 70 pounds each, with batteries, which can be removed, but don’t think it’s really necessary, as the rack seems to be a little underrated.
Note that it says "RV use prohibited", which might start the debate on why manufacturers often say this.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Note that it says "RV use prohibited", which might start the debate on why manufacturers often say this.
That actually refers trailer type RV’s as they sway, and bounce to much. Works great on my Mercedes Benz Sprinter3500 class B van
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:18 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Well my 2 cents worth is that I don't think swing away and tongue weight have anything to do with each other. I have a cheap Hollywood 2 bike rack and for non-ebikes, and I have also used a Hollywood rack for four bikes. Both swing away. I would expect any rack that goes into a 1 or 2 inch hitch to be sufficient. But I suspect you need a rack that the bikes sit on rather than ones that they hang from. Safe travels.
s
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeman View Post
RV Use Prohibited
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote