Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Bike rack/weight

Hi all,

I am considering buying a new bike rack, from 1Up to accommodate an electric bike which I am shopping for also. The single bike rack weighs 28lbs and most electric bikes weigh in around 50lbs. I am hoping to get something a little lighter but in any case, any thoughts on adding a possible 80+ lbs to the rear hitch?

I also noticed that 1Up has a bike rack that swings out. Looks like it could be the perfect solution to replace the way the spare tire is mounted on the Roadtrek 190 Popular 2008 that I have. Currently you have to lower the tire to fully access both rear doors. That rack weighs about 43lbs.

Thoughts? Thanks,

Marie
organize4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

consider moving your spare tire mount to the center hitch position, & a bike rack which mounts off the spare tire ?

while your mount is a pain....the pleasure way mounts spare on left door- which means it has to be lifted up and down ( arrgh), and I worry some about all that weight on the chevy hinges

grass is greener

thule, hollywood yakima and other make racks which use the tire- you'll see these often used on jeeps

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thanks Mike but atleast w it on the left, I can open one door.��
M
Old 06-19-2022, 04:12 PM   #4
JML
Bronze Member

I added a front hitch on my 2013 Pleasure Way Excel which is built on a Ford E-350. I have a Hollywood Sport E-rack and carry two E bikes that are 65 and 68 Pounds each. It works fine and helps even the load. I seldom drive at night so that is not a concern (it does block the lights a small amount). I lower and fold the handlebars and have no issues with the view. I may go to a ramp rack in the future and 1up is a contender.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #5
Gold Member

Yes, I love the 1Up! Thanks,
Marie
Old 06-20-2022, 02:15 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Hey Organize,

I have been thinking a lot about bike racks lately for our 2012 RT 190. I would recommend the Kuat Pivot 2 swing away hitch (swings to 90 and 120 degrees) along with your favorite hitch based bike rack. I have tried a 1Up and it worked well (+no plastic parts and US built).
I’m currently experimenting with another, DIY setup but the combo mentioned above would be my top choice.

Check the depth of the swing away hitches, it will need to clear the spare tire holder (which’ protrudes 17” without the cover on the RT). May need to add an extension.
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:33 AM   #7
Bronze Member

I have the 1-up with swing away mount. I think it is the highest quality rack on the market. All aluminum construction with no plastic to rot from UV exposure.

You will have to look at hitch capacity of your van, weight of bikes and capacity of the 1-up to get the best system for your application.