Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #1

Default Blue TEC Approved Emission Modification

Got a packet for a Class Action law suit. Anyone else? Appointments are out to about a month for the modification, and about a day to do it. Plus the drive to a Mercedes Benz Sprinter repair facility. The modification must be done before you are eligible to participate. Possible $3590.00 in pay out to the owner...
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeman View Post
Got a packet for a Class Action law suit. Anyone else? Appointments are out to about a month for the modification, and about a day to do it. Plus the drive to a Mercedes Benz Sprinter repair facility. The modification must be done before you are eligible to participate. Possible $3590.00 in pay out to the owner...

So, do you pay for the modification and then the settlement is reimbursement?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

According to packet Mercedes Benz is paying all the cost for the modification, plus extended warranty. The Class Action Law suit claims the pay out to the owners
Old 04-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #4

Part of packet.
A7C8F75F-C40C-4A37-8E2E-C18FE0DFE696.jpg
Old 04-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Mercedes will perform emission modification only if van is operating properly, if it isn't it had to be repaired at owner's expense before modification can be made.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #6

My van is running great, no issues, sort of hate to have it fooled with...
Old 04-02-2021, 02:33 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I can’t get an appointment before I trade my van in which i expect to before the end of April. So, I wonder who gets the class action settlement. I have gotten a lot of other class action settlements of products I’ve long ago sold or abandoned and have just ignored them. But 3 grand is intriguing for something that I was never bothered with.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:41 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I can’t get an appointment before I trade my van in which i expect to before the end of April. So, I wonder who gets the class action settlement. I have gotten a lot of other class action settlements of products I’ve long ago sold or abandoned and have just ignored them. But 3 grand is intriguing for something that I was never bothered with.
MB and Bosch will be about $3.6K for the first owner, second owner gets about $0.9K
Old 04-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
MB and Bosch will be about $3.6K for the first owner, second owner gets about $0.9K
It’s not first and second owners. I have papers in front of me - they arrived today. Current owners get $3,590 after they get the van emissions fixed by dealer and file claim by October 1, 2022.

Former owners get $897.50. David can get $897.50 by filing a claim after he trades in his Sprinter. But he must file a claim by July 12, 2021 - this summer.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:17 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
It’s not first and second owners. I have papers in front of me - they arrived today. Current owners get $3,590 after they get the van emissions fixed by dealer and file claim by October 1, 2022.

Former owners get $897.50. David can get $897.50 by filing a claim after he trades in his Sprinter. But he must file a claim by July 12, 2021 - this summer.
Correct, my mistake. I pulled this chart from https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com/.
Attached Images
File Type: png syh.png (75.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I hate to mess with mine too, but free money is free money. Bummer is I need to wait until next Feb to get to the dealer in FL as the nearest one to my home in Mass. is 3 hours away. But I believe we have until Oct 2022 to get it done. I did register on the web site for updates.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #12
Gold Member

Hopefully the 2 hour estimate to complete the modifications means that these changes can be made without dropping the exhaust system. If the exhaust system needs to be dropped any RV builds which interfere with this will need to have tanks / macerators moved out of the way at the owners expense before Mercedes can make the modifications. Most Mercedes service centers will refuse to mess with non-Mercedes equipment which may be in the way.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The recall is for the SCR unit to a the one based on copper catalyst and the upstream and downstream NOx sensors. SCR is the reactor which catalyzes reduction of exhaust nitrous oxides with DEF - urea to nitrogen and water. New engine programming is loaded. The dashboard display is changed if “corroded” primarily in northern states.

SCRs shouldn’t be blocked by any of RV plumbing or tanks, it is hot.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Schedule

I received my mail on the recall Friday. Called MB dealer in Durham NC. They knew of the issue, scheduled it for this coming Tuesday. Said the repair would take 3 hours. Paper work if completed except for proof of repair and will mail then.

So far seems easy.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Here's the EPA page that lists the approved emissions modifications to be done under this settlement/recall, based on Sprinter model year. https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/daim...vil-settlement
Old 04-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCLE View Post
<snip> If the exhaust system needs to be dropped any RV builds which interfere with this will need to have tanks / macerators moved out of the way at the owners expense before Mercedes can make the modifications.<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
<snip>SCRs shouldn’t be blocked by any of RV plumbing or tanks, it is hot.
The work order notes for the AEM on my 2015 Roadtrek Adventurous (2014 Sprinter 3500) say that the water tank was dropped then put back for the NOX replacement along with some shielding being moved then put back to do the SCR work.

There was no additional charge to me.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubFlyer View Post
The work order notes for the AEM on my 2015 Roadtrek Adventurous (2014 Sprinter 3500) say that the water tank was dropped then put back for the NOX replacement along with some shielding being moved then put back to do the SCR work.

There was no additional charge to me.
Have you noticed any changes in performance since you had the work done?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Will this change make the exhaust system more reliable?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:07 PM   #19
Platinum Member

2013/144 – A few days ago we drove about 50 miles after AEM, a little highway, some low traffic side roads. I felt that the engine run smother and quieter, my wife concurred so 2 positive observations.

I also noticed slightly different shift pattern, lower RPM, but this could be an illusion based on a smoother running engine.

Service advisor mentioned that DEF fluid consumption will go up, with the small DEF tank located in the engine compartment and no level gauge I will have to pay more attention, perhaps getting a gauge.

My NOx sensors were replaced in 2019 with the fifth generation ones, the newest version then. Under AEM they were replaced with the newest generation of today, so at least sixth generation. Let’s hope the newest NOx sensors will be as reliable as functionally very similar oxygen / lambda sensors introduced 40 years ago for the gasoline engines.

The new SCR is based on copper which is stated in this article as more durable. https://link.springer.com/article/10...825-015-0013-z
Old 04-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Driving my 2011 Roadtrek to Eugene Mercedes-Benz this coming Wednesday for the modification.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote