Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Default emissions recall on Sprinters

I have scheduled the recall for the emissions fix on my 1016 Winnebago Era at a local Freightliner service center. I have danced to this song with my 2013 VW diesel Passat. It did not change the performance of that vehicle that I can detect.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #22
Bronze Member

I have our van scheduled to go in for the fix in May. I was told that we would have to leave it for service because the length of time to service depends on how easily the sensors can be extracted from their current locations which apparently is in the exhaust system. If they can be easily removed, it won't take much time at all; if they are rusted in place as things screwed into the exhaust system like to be, it will take longer.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #23
Site Team

N.B.: There is also a Sprinter service program pending on the highly-problematic rear wheel speed sensors. Oddly, it is specific to vehicles that have been uplifted to RVs or (I think) busses.

I am waiting on the emissions thing until I can also get this done at the same time, but parts are not yet available for the wheel-sensor upgrade.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #24

So I had my Sprinter scheduled for service. The recall notice arrived the day before and dealer did the recall at the same time. Got my paperwork, scanned it and emailed the documents in. Have not heard anything back yet. But, I agree, the way I read the materials the settlement is in the $ 3K range for the current owner. BTW the dealer said their dealer cost of the parts for the recall was about $ 1,800!
Bill from Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #25
Bronze Member

I had my appointment. It took nine hours not three but they got it finished! The service techs knew it was a longer task than the scheduled appointment but could not have been nicer. It was complicated by the upfit to access to the nox scensors which they replaced four I think. Now to finish the paperwork and send it in.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:08 PM   #26

So this is a fix for the tweak they put in the software to fool emissions testing ...wondering how much this will impact fuel consumption once the changes are made and or emission system on going maintenance.. on the VW tdi’s. The milage was amazing with the emissions factory cheat in play.
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #27
Site Team

The bottom line is that this correction will certainly improve real-world emissions performance. If it lowers acceleration or fuel economy, that is a price I would gladly pay.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #28
Bronze Member

I am fine as well if it makes it a bit more environmentally friendly. I love my van, it takes me to incredible places. When you go down another dusty two track and find that special place you can call home for day and night or two.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Mercedes will perform emission modification only if van is operating properly, if it isn't it had to be repaired at owner's expense before modification can be made.

I don't believe that is correct. I just took my 2014 LTV Free Spiriit in to the MB Sprinter dealer and they replaced the cat and 2 NOx sensors at no charge. I had the sensors replaced in October 2020 at my expense by an independent repair shop to resolve emissions error codes and the resulting start countdown process. That repair did not impact having the factory authorized recall work being done now at no charge. I have also submitted the class action payment claim and should receive around $3000.

In addition, I own a 2016 E250 Bluetec that will have the work done this week, and had a 2011 E350 Bluetec until 2019, which qualifies for the class action payment as a previous owner.

Class action payments vary depending on if previous owners make claims.

For all the info, check out:

https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com
DaveWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
I don't believe that is correct. I just took my 2014 LTV Free Spiriit in to the MB Sprinter dealer and they replaced the cat and 2 NOx sensors at no charge. I had the sensors replaced in October 2020 at my expense by an independent repair shop to resolve emissions error codes and the resulting start countdown process. That repair did not impact having the factory authorized recall work being done now at no charge. I have also submitted the class action payment claim and should receive around $3000.

In addition, I own a 2016 E250 Bluetec that will have the work done this week, and had a 2011 E350 Bluetec until 2019, which qualifies for the class action payment as a previous owner.

Class action payments vary depending on if previous owners make claims.

For all the info, check out:

https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com
A few folks on the Sprinter forum which has an extensive thread had to replace some components on their own cost except SCR, NOx sensors and DPF. If I recall correctly one person had the DPF replaced as a part of the recall. In your van MB replaced “cat” which I assume is an SCR and NOx sensors which are key components for this recall. On my 2013 MB replaced 2 NOx sensors which were replaced in 2019 under the warranty, SCR, and programming.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #31
Bronze Member

Will these modifications affect the miles per gallon?

Thanks!
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:42 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Driving my 2011 Roadtrek to Eugene Mercedes-Benz this coming Wednesday for the modification.
We're also scheduled for Wednesday at our local MB dealer here in FL. Here's hoping for smooth sailing. We plan to drop it off in the morning and then pick it up when they're done.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:11 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonTrader View Post

Thanks!
Likely too early to say, I was told that the DEF consumption is going to go up. Personally I observed a smoother running engine.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Isn't it amazing that the first point of contact (at least in my case) was from an attorney and not Ma Benz? Scheduled my service today, a month away. Dealer rep stated NOx sensors and SCR needed to be replaced.

As an owner that has had 6 different breakdowns (and the dreaded 10 starts left countdown each time), I welcome new NOx sensors; after all, it has been 12k miles since my last set (the 4th pair).
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:42 PM   #35
Platinum Member

So we dropped off our van this morning, got the apparently usual speech that before they start the recall work they will first check the diagnostics to see whether the van has thrown any codes that require us to repair something before they can do the recall work. Oddly, he specifically mentioned the turbo as if that was a likely point of failure. We've had zero "check engine" or any other trouble lights come up on the dash since we had it serviced about 3K miles ago and it seems to be running / performing just fine, so we don't anticipate any required repairs, but one never knows for sure, does one? Fingers crossed. Anyway, they said they would need to keep it for a minimum of 24 hours, and in response I said that's fine, though we'd like to be sure we have the van back by end of business this Friday.

Oh, and still no parts for the MB wheel speed sensor recall. That will have to be a separate visit at some point in the yet-to-be-determined future.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Just posted in the Sprinter forum that recalls on 2011/12 are on hold due to software. Mine is 2013, done a couple weeks ago, I hope my van's software is OK.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Just scheduled with my local Sprinter dealer. They are 2 months out on doing these repairs. Said it could take anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days, depending upon upfit. Of course they'll provide a nice new MB as a loaner.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #38
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
Have you noticed any changes in performance since you had the work done?
No, still getting 16+ MPG on highway.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:59 PM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonTrader View Post

Thanks!
We have taken it on two short trips around 300 miles each since the recall work was done. The route was mostly on two lane highways with maximum speeds around 65. Getting low 18 MPG average for the trips, including some low speed sections through small towns and in campgrounds. This is a bit better than before the work so I would say that the changes certainly did not negatively impact mileage and probably has helped.
I expect BlueDef usage to be higher, so I will be checking and filling the the tank more often.
2014 LTV Free Spirit 22/Sprinter 3500.
DaveWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Went this morning to MB dealer for the Emission Mod. Was told it will take all day and may go into tomorrow. Cost could be up to $3,000 dollars or more. I have to pay the MB dealer and get reimbursed from MB.
Left because I had plans for later today and tomorrow.
Not sure when I will have time to get back.
Speed sensors parts are not yet available.
goodtogo is offline   Reply With Quote