Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #41
Gold Member

Default Re: Boondocking in Cold Weather

Hi Mike, I definitely understand your points and appreciate the "devils advocate" service

The insurance company wasn't too concerned with details actually, when I insured it, I told them several times it was an RT and they put it down as a "Dodge Motorhome" in a very generic way. Not a big deal either way. I don't ever intend to limit my decisions based on fear the insurance company won't cover a loss. Losing that freedom of choice to me is worse than losing the rig. As long as it is legal to drive and won't endanger anyone else, (which is always part of my design criteria) I am good with it.

My viewpoints are of course just that, I fully respect everyone else's decisions and choices as they apply to them.

-Mike
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://WWW.VanTramps.Com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I guess Canadian insurance companies are tougher on stuff like that. I know ours might not
cover a claim if they could prove it was a result of something I DIY-ed. Thus, the "Devil's Advocacy"
on stuff like this. I have to think that way, because it's my reality.
You guys have many advantages, when it comes to not being overly "nannied" on a lot of things.
I hate being told "no" or "don't do that" because something bad happened to someone else, maybe
because they did something stupid and caused themselves the grief, but now it affects the way the
insurance companies look at every new situation, including mine, but that's what it amounts to.
Somebody does something without thinking it through first, and it screws it up for everybody.
Good luck with your mods. I do like the fireplace one, even if it might seem like over kill to some.
You live in your van, so I don't think it is for you.
The HWH would only be useful, if you use a LOT of hot water. That was why my NG repair guy
talked us out of it for our house. Since there's only 2 of us, he said we'd never (live to) see any
cost savings. At 3 times the cost of a tank HWH. (seriously, he said we wouldn't live long enough )
In a small van, the space savings of a tankless HWH, might be worth it.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #43
Gold Member

I hear ya on the being nannied by insurance companies! I have never been a fan of them.

For Heidi and I, the HWH mod has so many advantages, maybe they are more important to us since we usually live in Taj full time, but I really can see where others might find it useful too. We don't leave out current water heater on, rather, we turn it on about 15 to 20 minutes before we shower then off when we finish. For washing dishes etc, Heidi prefers to heat water on the stove rather than wait for 6 gallons to heat up which definitely makes sense to me. With an instant on setup, it would just get left enabled (when parked only of course) so there would be no waiting to shower or waiting to wash dishes and there would be no 6 gallon limit on the showers(total). Of course there are other things in would be nice for too, (hot water bottles for comfort heat at night etc).

The cost of them is much more reasonable now than last time I checked too. A full setup with the Atwood style door and winter use configuration can be had for around $700. Can probably help that figure by selling my old tank model too which works fine.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #44
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
You looking at something like this?

http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinso ... _p9000.htm

I do have those sort of in the back of my mind too, but only as a last resort. The P12000 though would be a better size. Dickinson sent me a few images of them installed in various rigs after I explained what I wanted to do. They are interesting and do show that others have installed LP DV fireplaces in vans. I have found ones I like much better, more of an actual fireplace insert that I am leaning towards. They are larger though and obviously need more careful planning.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Is the DV Fireplace quiet, as opposed to the jet aircraft sound of my furnace?
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #46
Platinum Member

They are noisy, aren't they? Too bad the fan isn't a DC motor with variable speed, as it's
pretty loud. Wonder if there's an after market fix for the noise? On some home furnaces
I think you can swap out the 2-3 speed fan and replace them with a DC variable speed fan
which would be controlled automatically by a thermostat. Hotter burner = higher fan speed?
Maybe?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #47
Gold Member

The typical forced air RV furnaces are horribly loud for sure. Some tell me the newer models are better though. The DV fireplace is much quieter. Fans are an option on them rather than a requirement like the stock furnace. On that note, I don't know how well a variable speed fan motor would work on an RV's factory furnaces considering the sail switch. I am sure someone here is more versed on them and would know. They really aren't a very efficient system at any rate so upgrading to something better would probably not only make things quieter, but extend your boon-docking ability as well

-Mike
Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #48
Platinum Member

I had hoped a variable speed fan motor could be turned up slowly to both close the sail switch, and
circulate enough warm air without invoking the "jet engine" full power blast of the stock fan motor
that Photog so aptly described.
It was just a thought that it would be a nice upgrade to the OEM furnace/fan. I have neither the
knowledge nor expertise to come up with a mod to do it, however.