Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 04:16 AM   #1
Silver Member

Question bought a new van in the USA recently, and imported it (permanently) into Canada?

Hi all

Has anyone bought a new van in the USA recently, and imported it (permanently) into Canada?

we'd probably get a new 2019 or 2020 Ford Transit.

I have read various web sites and Canadian government websites and they all pretty much relate just to cars. For example under FORD only cars are listed on the Canadian government website.

and I know I can call a Canadian government office.... but may be very tough to actually get a human on the phone, and they may not know...

thanks for any thoughts.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Hi all

Has anyone bought a new van in the USA recently, and imported it (permanently) into Canada?

we'd probably get a new 2019 or 2020 Ford Transit.

I have read various web sites and Canadian government websites and they all pretty much relate just to cars. For example under FORD only cars are listed on the Canadian government website.

and I know I can call a Canadian government office.... but may be very tough to actually get a human on the phone, and they may not know...

thanks for any thoughts.
U.S. and Canadian DOT standards are similar but I believe there are sufficient differences that makes this impractical if not prohibited. Roadtrek has different builds for their coaches depending on whether they will be titled and registered in Canada or the U.S.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Looks likes vans would be in section 12 of the Admissibility Lists: Section 12.0 - Trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) Less Than 4536 kg manufactured <B>after</B> September 1, 2007

Class B Motorhomes are section 5.2:

Section 5.2 - Motorhomes Class B

Contact Ford to find out if & how the warranty works as one of the a first steps.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #4

Default Not sure why?

If you buy a Pleasureway New it’s much better to buy in Canada look at the list price in their web site. No 30 % difference and you can get 15 to 18 % off at the local dealer. Then sell it in the USA after a few year and maybe break even.
Thegengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you are buying a RoadTrek, Pleasureway or Leasure Travel, they are made in Canada and you would be well advised to purchase there.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Silver Member

thanks

but to clarify - just buying a Transit van, and doing a "basecamp" interior here in USA

then maybe importing that into Canada, eventually. maybe. sometime. maybe.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote