Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Bridgestone - DUELER H/T 685

Any experiences / insight with these tires? Costco carries them and am considering them.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm also interested. It's either that or the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. Which one is the better tire?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:21 PM   #3
Gold Member

Also considering the BF Goodrich KO2 at Costco ... FWIW I currently have BF Goodrich Commercial TA that are 6 years old and look brand new... If I had not been reading about replacing tires after 5 years on an RV I would never even considered replacing these tires. Sometimes I wonder about some of the stuff I read. For instance, I previously owned a Kawasaki KLR 650, and for those in the know ...Doohickey is coming to mind here..

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 12-19-2022, 09:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
If I had not been reading about replacing tires after 5 years on an RV
Mine have tread but are coming up on 10 years old. Feel I should change them out.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also considering the BF Goodrich KO2 at Costco ... FWIW I currently have BF Goodrich Commercial TA that are 6 years old and look brand new... If I had not been reading about replacing tires after 5 years on an RV I would never even considered replacing these tires. Sometimes I wonder about some of the stuff I read. For instance, I previously owned a Kawasaki KLR 650, and for those in the know ...Doohickey is coming to mind here..
[off topic]

So, did you do the Doo? Ex owner of a fairly well travelled '98.

[/off topic]
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I've posted positively on my Agilis.

I am a shopper, when I have time I will call around for price and availability

Costco I used since they were price club.
It seems what they actually stock can be lacking the past 6 years or so

For instance- my prius tires were a special order... how many priuses in a costco parking lot ?( many)
I wasn't in a hurry, this was my best price- it took more than a week. I worry some that if they don't stock these what happens if I shred one ?
( I brought one of the old take offs home and stored it just in case)

For my 2001 sierra I needed tires right away... costco no luck, pepboys

For the van I needed tires within a week or so, and I choose to use michelins
( I even have them on my honda trail 90)
- costco was 10~14 days.
With the printed out quote I went to discount tire and had tires next day. discount matched the quote and added a rebate on top.

I think costco service is superior. but i worry about getting a replacement if I need one. too much "just in time".

The PHX area has many stores- it appears that if a store needs tires for a customer, rather than pull from another store ( where thye show in stock), they order from however far away the distribution center is
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:22 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
[off topic]

So, did you do the Doo? Ex owner of a fairly well travelled '98.

[/off topic]
Nope - I am that guy who got ridiculed by everyone Put a lot of miles on mine with no issues....

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 12-19-2022, 11:23 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I've posted positively on my Agilis.

I think costco service is superior. but i worry about getting a replacement if I need one. too much "just in time"
That is a good point -

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 12-19-2022, 11:41 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There are really very few current reviews of the van tires on the forum for other than the Agilis which has been chosen by a very large majority, so it makes it very tough on anyone trying to find out how other brands/models work out.

We really like the Agilis on our Chevy.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:45 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post

I think costco service is superior. but i worry about getting a replacement if I need one. too much "just in time".
Quote:
That is a good point -
That's one reason I get my tires from Discount Tire (DT). I am a Costco member, but their selection and availability is slow. DT gets tires in very fast, many times within a day or 2. Other reasons I like DT: they match or beat anyone else price, force balance tires, properly tighten the tire lugs, and have always been pleasant to deal with. They have many locations and are expanding their network of stores.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:08 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I have run the Bridgestone Duravis for a year with no problems on a Roadtrek 190. I have blown two Michelin MS2 tires over 12 years.

I didn’t choose them. Couldn’t get what I wanted and had to have tires ASAP. Happy so far. They haven’t blown.

The Duravis is almost twice as expensive as the Dueler. I probably lucked out and got a good tire.

A heavy van probably needs more than a $150 tire. The Duravis is a $300 tire.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:09 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I suggest you consider the speed rating in your search for tires. Is that important? I think so. Here is more information in this posting from a while ago. Be sure to read the last paragraph in the link I provided at the end of that posting. I repeat it here for convenience. Unfortunately the litigious cultural mindset that is growing forces us to consider the potential legal aspect of our choices, even down to the tires we use.

Also, I our local Costco will not install tires that don't meet OEM spec.

So regarding your original question, the Dueler HT685 are R speed rating, a step below the OEM S speed rating spec. I suggest looking for an S spec tire.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...spec-7686.html

https://brownsalignment.com/tire-liability-policy/
Old 12-20-2022, 10:17 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I suggest you consider the speed rating in your search for tires.
I wonder where one can find this information? I looked in the owner's manual and checked the certification label on the door frame, but neither of those contained the factory tire speed rating.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:36 PM   #14
Platinum Member

There is a speed rating and a load rating. The Duravis R500 HD has a speed rating of 106 mph and a load rating of E1. Looks like the Discount Tire guy knew what he was doing!

I was looking for Michelin XPS rib which are a step above the MS2s and Agilis I think. Certainly is not a soft ride but my springs and shocks are to blame for that also. Highway cracks go right through the coach and did with the MS2 tire.

Speed rating of Michelin XPS Rib is 100 with a load rating of E1. It is also a $300 tire. Duravis is made in Japan.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:44 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Actually the tires I currently have - BF Goodrich Commercial TA - are fine and provide a good solid ride rain and shine. Only reason I brought the topic up was because I was reading about the need to replace RV tires every 5 years or so. The more I think about it the more I am a bit skeptical about discarding a set of tires that appear to be in excellent condition and are just now at the end of the 6 year warranty period.

Famous last words eh?
Old 12-21-2022, 02:23 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
The more I think about it the more I am a bit skeptical about discarding a set of tires that appear to be in excellent condition and are just now at the end of the 6 year warranty period.
Might also depend on how they were used, maintained, and stored. If they are not abused (off-road, high speeds, rough roads), stored indoors (out of the sun), and kept property inflated, the lifespan could be longer.. like 10 years maybe?
Old 12-21-2022, 02:56 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Actually the tires I currently have - BF Goodrich Commercial TA - are fine and provide a good solid ride rain and shine. Only reason I brought the topic up was because I was reading about the need to replace RV tires every 5 years or so. The more I think about it the more I am a bit skeptical about discarding a set of tires that appear to be in excellent condition and are just now at the end of the 6 year warranty period.

Famous last words eh?
Yep, famous last words. You won’t appreciate it till you have a tread separation that does a couple thousand dollars worth of damage. The worst I’ve heard of was a class A diesel pusher with the electronics and hydraulics bay ahead of the drivers side front wheel. It had to be flat bedded to the factory in Oregon to run up a bill of $55k.

If your RV is an orphan, mine are, with no replacement fiberglass body parts you need to think about it.

I’ve had three blowouts. One on a class C. For them it is usually the inside right rear dual. It is near the exhaust pipe. Miraculously no damage. I have tried to insulate the exhaust pipe but that tire is still the hottest. I have failed both rear tires on the class B. The first at 50 mph, tread separation, no flailing, miraculously no damage. The second took out the airline for the air bag suspension, bent the generator exhaust pipe and the Chevy steel body supporting it, and put a crack in the plastic rear bumper cover. Tread marks were on the water heater cover but no damage. Probably about $500 damage fixed when I had it repainted.

A new Ford E-450 class C was in the shop when I went to get my last blowout replaced. Michelin MS2. He had destroyed the fuel filler tube ahead of the left rear duallie. There was some other less significant wheel well damage.

My conclusion is the Michelin MS2 (Agilis) is not a good enough tire for a 9600lb van that suffers in the Arizona sun. It has served a lot of people well. The class C had MS2 also, now it has Michelin XPS tires.

A TPMS system will not help you. It will only tell you which tire just blew. It does help you make sure the tire pressures are correct when you start the traveling day.

As for the contrary view, the stronger tire you get the more damage you get when the tread separates. A steel belted radial can tear up a lot of stuff before you get stopped. On the class C the tread separated but was still a circular piece when I got stopped from 55mph.

Only personal experience will make you change your mind.

Tire failure is a very inconvenient thing to deal with, even if you do carry a spare. Plan on a lost day, more on a weekend. Tires had to be ordered, none in stock. They couldn’t get a delivery date for Michelin XPS but Bridgestone Duravis could be delivered that afternoon. Good to hear it is a good tire.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:16 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Yep, famous last words. You won’t appreciate it till you have a tread separation that does a couple thousand dollars worth of damage. The worst I’ve heard of was a class A diesel pusher with the electronics and hydraulics bay ahead of the drivers side front wheel. It had to be flat bedded to the factory in Oregon to run up a bill of $55k.

If your RV is an orphan, mine are, with no replacement fiberglass body parts you need to think about it.

I’ve had three blowouts. One on a class C. For them it is usually the inside right rear dual. It is near the exhaust pipe. Miraculously no damage. I have tried to insulate the exhaust pipe but that tire is still the hottest. I have failed both rear tires on the class B. The first at 50 mph, tread separation, no flailing, miraculously no damage. The second took out the airline for the air bag suspension, bent the generator exhaust pipe and the Chevy steel body supporting it, and put a crack in the plastic rear bumper cover. Tread marks were on the water heater cover but no damage. Probably about $500 damage fixed when I had it repainted.

A new Ford E-450 class C was in the shop when I went to get my last blowout replaced. Michelin MS2. He had destroyed the fuel filler tube ahead of the left rear duallie. There was some other less significant wheel well damage.

My conclusion is the Michelin MS2 (Agilis) is not a good enough tire for a 9600lb van that suffers in the Arizona sun. It has served a lot of people well. The class C had MS2 also, now it has Michelin XPS tires.

A TPMS system will not help you. It will only tell you which tire just blew. It does help you make sure the tire pressures are correct when you start the traveling day.

As for the contrary view, the stronger tire you get the more damage you get when the tread separates. A steel belted radial can tear up a lot of stuff before you get stopped. On the class C the tread separated but was still a circular piece when I got stopped from 55mph.

Only personal experience will make you change your mind.

Tire failure is a very inconvenient thing to deal with, even if you do carry a spare. Plan on a lost day, more on a weekend.
Do you recall the age of your tires that blew?
Old 12-21-2022, 03:20 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I suggest you consider the speed rating in your search for tires. Is that important? I think so. Here is more information in this posting from a while ago. Be sure to read the last paragraph in the link I provided at the end of that posting. I repeat it here for convenience. Unfortunately the litigious cultural mindset that is growing forces us to consider the potential legal aspect of our choices, even down to the tires we use.

Also, I our local Costco will not install tires that don't meet OEM spec.

So regarding your original question, the Dueler HT685 are R speed rating, a step below the OEM S speed rating spec. I suggest looking for an S spec tire.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...spec-7686.html

https://brownsalignment.com/tire-liability-policy/
Just tacking on a thought here. It would be interesting to know if GM has stress tested tires on their heavy vans and trucks to support their OEM spec of S-speed rated tires, at least for their vehicles that use the 245/75-16 tires.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:25 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I failed a front right 12 year old tire on a Ford Aerostar in a 15 mph left turn. It just disintegrated. Rubber deterioration is real, especially in Arizona with heat and sun.