Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Bringing firearms into Canada

So you're an RV'er who wants to bring your gun into Canada? Canadians love guns, they're everywhere. However we have some strict laws when it comes to some firearms so I hope I this thread will explain some of them

Remember that when you get to a border crossing from the US, you are already inside Canada so Canadian laws apply. The obverse is true as well, when a Canadian goes to a US border crossing, they are in the US and US laws apply.

We have three classifications of firearms

Non Restricted
Restricted
Prohibited

Non Restricted - any rifle or shotgun that is neither restricted nor prohibited. Most common long guns are non-restricted, but there are exceptions.

Restricted - means:

a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,
a firearm that
is not a prohibited firearm,
has a barrel less than 470 mm in length, and
is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner,
a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise, or
a firearm of any other kind that is prescribed to be a restricted firearm in the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted.

Prohibited - means:

a handgun that
has a barrel equal to or less than 105 mm in length, or
is designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32 calibre cartridge, but does not include any such handgun that is prescribed, where the handgun is for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union,
a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,
is less than 660 mm in length, or
is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,
an automatic firearm, whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger, or
any firearm that is prescribed to be a prohibited firearm in the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Handguns
To make life easy, do not bring a handgun across the border unless you have done your research and obtained the necessary permits before arriving at the border. Possession of a handgun without a permit can get you refused and your handgun confiscated. Refusal at the border once can lead to future refusals with no cause necessary.

Long Guns
Long guns are permitted, but a long gun means a shot gun or rifle.

Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR's)
Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR's) are restricted in Canada. Yes this sucks for us but it's the law. An MSR is an AR15 type rifle. To bring one across the border would require a permit much like a handgun. Do your research and obtain your permits before you get to the border if you want to bring one to Canada.

Modified Firearms
Modified firearms may also be prohibited. If you have modified your firearm significantly where you have shortened it length or altered it's design it may be prohibited. The best example I can give you is if you put a Ruger 10/22 into a bullpup stock, it would be prohibited. Bullpup's by themselves are not illegal as long as they have the required barrel length, but modifying one into a bullpup is illegal.

Magazine Capacity
Magazines for rifles are limited to five rounds. Do not bring a large capacity magazine. Those are prohibited.

Ammunition
A license is required to purchase ammunition in Canada. More on this in a bit.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

So you've decided to bring a long gun in your RV. Either before or at the border you would need to fill out form RCMP 5589. This is the non resident firearm declaration. Do NOT sign the form ahead of time, it must be witnessed at the border. The form is good for three firearms and if you need more then you would need form RCMP 5590.

There is a cost of $25 for the above form(s) which acts as your temporary license to possess the firearm(s) that are listed on the form(s). This temporary license is good for 60 days and may be extended at no cost providing you extend it before the 60 days is complete. This form also acts as your license to purchase ammunition. Note - it is a flat $25 fee regardless of how many firearms you bring.

Firearms must be unloaded, must be locked and must be out of sight if not being used. This means no gun racks. Ammunition must be stored separately from a firearm. If the firearm is inside a locked cabinet then you may store ammunition inside that cabinet as well.

Whatever your reason for bringing firearms into Canada, if you are asked the reason and you declare self-defence, you will be denied. If hunting season is months away and you state your purpose is for hunting, you may be denied as that would be a false statement. Target shooting, skeet, practice or gun show would all be valid reasons.

Bring limited ammunition with you, or purchase it here after you receive your license. There are limits on how much you can bring across the border and there are some types of ammunition that is prohibited.

Links
Firearm Users Visiting Canada
Classes of firearms
Canadian Firearms Program - Visitors/Non Residents
Form RCMP 5589
Form RCMP 5590

Contact Info RCMP Canadian Firearms Program
Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm nationwide
Telephone:
1-800-731-4000 (toll-free for Canada and the United States)
1-506-624-6626 (for all countries outside of Canada and the United States)
Email: cfp-pcaf@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Facsimile: 613-825-0297

I hope that details everything people need to know. If you have questions please post them and I'll do my best to provide answers.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
::
Magazine Capacity
Magazines for rifles are limited to five rounds. Do not bring a large capacity magazine. Those are prohibited.
One exception is the Kel-tec Sub 2000.

You are allowed to use the standard Glock magazine, which is 10 rounds.

note: The Canadian version of the Kel-tec Sub 2000 has an 18.5" barrel, which is 2.4" longer than the USA version.

The American version is not permitted in Canada.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have found it interesting that "Any fire arms?" is always asked, and is usually the first question when we cross into Canada. They obviously take it seriously.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
We have found it interesting that "Any fire arms?" is always asked, and is usually the first question when we cross into Canada. They obviously take it seriously.

They ask going the other way, too And both ways, you then get asked "any alcoholic beverages?"
Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Are certain air rifles prohibited?
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
Are certain air rifles prohibited?
Air Guns - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Old 10-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post

In the US, when asked whether you have fire arm, the standard answer is "NO", even if a policeman asks you.

But at the Canadian border, you are required to tell the truth. It is against the law to lie to the border agent.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
In the US, when asked whether you have fire arm, the standard answer is "NO", even if a policeman asks you.
This is not the best advice. Although it is not generally illegal to lie to the police, there are places and situations in which it is. Best not to take the chance. Better advice:

The ONLY things you should ever say to the police are:

1) “I would like to remain silent.”
and
2) "Am I free to go?"

Memorize these magic words; use them; and never lose your cool, and you will be fine in most any situation. Speaking to the police under any circumstances is generally a really bad idea. It can do you a lot of harm and very little good.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Air rifles under 500FPS are legal, unless they are a replica of a firearm WITHOUT the orange bit at the end. See the above link posted by BobB which I neglected to talk about in my posts, my apologies.

Quote:
One exception is the Kel-tec Sub 2000.

You are allowed to use the standard Glock magazine, which is 10 rounds.

note: The Canadian version of the Kel-tec Sub 2000 has an 18.5" barrel, which is 2.4" longer than the USA version.

The American version is not permitted in Canada.
This is a technicality and I didn't want to get involved in this. However the way it works is if a magazine is designed (made) for a certain firearm and can contain five rounds but it will also fit into another firearm and can hold more than five rounds of a smaller ammunition then it is legal.

Quote:
But at the Canadian border, you are required to tell the truth. It is against the law to lie to the border agent.
100% correct. Don't try and fib your way through something. If you brought a device that is prohibited AND you declare it, most times you will simply have the item confiscated and refused entry. If you do not declare the prohibited item and it is found, you will be arrested and jailed.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Bruceper,

Thank you for posting the info and links for those who wish to bring firearms into Canada. But as you state: "This is a technicality and I didn't want to get involved in this." I think that applies to ANY interpretation of the applicable laws and regulations on this.

My suggestion: Post the links, do not "interpret". Anyone who chooses to bring in firearms is responsible for (1) doing their own research on applicable laws and regulations and (2) interpreting them. If in doubt, they should seek legal counsel.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #13
Platinum Member

What about Canadians taking firearms across the border in the U.S.? What about "for self defence"?

Never think about it when driving a vehicle across but in an RV which is intended to be slept in and also usually for for an extended stay - I'd say 'self defence' is legit reason.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Every state is different in their laws, while firearms law in Canada is Federal. Last I knew long guns were fine in most states as long as they are unloaded, but that's about all I could tell you.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Google "Bringing firearms into the U.S." or similar. Plenty of info online.

On the Federal level, you will need an ATF permit. Forms online. FYI they seem to recognize ONLY hunting and sports competitions. It appears "Self-Defense" - even if you think it is a legit reason - is not a reason as far as they are concerned.

After that, you need to deal with the state you are entering and they vary. Each state has different laws regarding possession, transport, and use of firearms and ammunition. It is your responsibility to find out what applies to you.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I guess bear spray will have to do.

Some of the border guards I have had the pleasure of dealing with over the years have had a very arrogant attitude and seem to want to make life difficult - so whatever I can do not have a bad experience...
Old 10-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Google "Bringing firearms into the U.S." or similar. Plenty of info online.
Next time I have a question I will "Google" it. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:04 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I guess bear spray will have to do.

Understand - IIRCC - that in Canada, bear spray against bears, other animals is okay; against humans NO. Possible criminal penalties IIRCC. Google it.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Understand - IIRCC - that in Canada, bear spray against bears, other animals is okay; against humans NO. Possible criminal penalties IIRCC. Google it.
Don't have to Google anything - if anyone tries to break into my Class B I will use whatever is available to stop it - that may be a frying pan or bear spray.

Although I may have to deal with an insane liberal law that protects the criminal later.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Don't have to Google anything - if anyone tries to break into my Class B I will use whatever is available to stop it - that may be a frying pan or bear spray.

Although I may have to deal with an insane liberal law that protects the criminal later.
Don't worry. Everyone else seems to be confused, too. To this same question, someone answered "it is legal in Canada to use reasonable force to protect yourself from human attack if serious injury or death is likely.

Would you get charged? If police determine that you used reasonable force given the circumstances and you carry approved dog or bear attack pepper spray for it's intended use, there should be no charges. If you carry a dog or bear pepper spray in an area where there are no dogs or bears police may determine that you are using it unlawfully and weapons charges may follow.
"

So camping out in the country/wilderness where it makes sense to carry bear spray, things would probably be fine. Boondocking in downtown Toronto might be a problem if you are attacked and if you use it. I would go with the frying pan.