Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #1

Default Broken Storage Hinge on 2000 Roadtrek

Hi all -- New to the forum so I hope this is the right place for this post.

Need help with our new-to-us 2000 Roadtrek 190 Popular Dodge. I opened the access to the long driver-side outside storage and the entire compartment door fell off. I cannot see how the hinge is supposed to work nor how to get it back together.

Has anyone else had experience with this or suggestions? Thanks in advance. /noel/
Cyberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberskier View Post
Hi all -- New to the forum so I hope this is the right place for this post.

Need help with our new-to-us 2000 Roadtrek 190 Popular Dodge. I opened the access to the long driver-side outside storage and the entire compartment door fell off. I cannot see how the hinge is supposed to work nor how to get it back together.

Has anyone else had experience with this or suggestions? Thanks in advance. /noel/

Welcome to the forum Noel!

Plenty of Dodge-based Roadtrek owners here. I'm sure one will be along to help. Does the door hinge up, or slide out like the later model Chevies?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:58 AM   #3

Thanks. It's about six-feet long and hinges up. It looks like the "hinge" is simply a long strip of plastic with one side riveted to the hatch door and the other side riveted to the body.
Cyberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi Cyberskier,

I just did this job a few days ago! It's not at all easy, but it is doable. The hinge is, as you say, just a long piece of plastic that is riveted to both sides and flexes in the middle. I'll describe the job and provide some links below. Let me know if you want to try it yourself, and I will provide some more information and some warnings of potential pitfalls.

In short, you have to 1. buy a new hinge; 2. drill out the old rivets that hold the hinge to the body on one side and to the storage compartment door on the other; 3. scrape off all the old sealant; 4. drill new holes in the hinge to match the old ones; 5. apply new sealant; 6. rivet it all back together.

You can purchase a new hinge here: https://www.mooreindhardware.com/har...tinuous-hinge/

The job is described in detail in the following link and videos, but be careful in following the video because he runs into problems drilling the hinge, which is the hardest part of the job!

Bumberg Blog: Continuous hinge/seal on 1999 Roadtrek 190 Versatile and related models.

RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Is it possible to retrofit a stainless steel piano hinge?
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #6

I think the problem with a piano hinge is that it wouldn't be weather-proof like the continuous plastic hinge.

I've ordered the hinge, but I think I'm going to try 3M VHB adhesive tape instead of pop rivets (after removing the old hinge and old sealant, of course).
Old 07-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

I have the same year and model and mine just broke a couple of weeks ago- interesting timing. I'm glad to know about where to get the proper hinge (plastic, above), but I needed a quick fix so I went the piano hinge route and used a rivet gun. You'll need to grind off the existing rivets and either use flat head screws and adhesive, or rivets to reattach. It was a fairly involved job, but now it's functional again.
journeyman28778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
Is it possible to retrofit a stainless steel piano hinge?
Quote:
I think the problem with a piano hinge is that it wouldn't be weather-proof like the continuous plastic hinge.

I've ordered the hinge, but I think I'm going to try 3M VHB adhesive tape instead of pop rivets (after removing the old hinge and old sealant, of course).
Piano hinge is what is used on my Airstream Avenue. Seems to be weather tight enough. I tried unsuccessfully to find a good close up picture in my files.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:

This sounds like an interesting idea! The outer lip of the hinge might not seal as closely to the body as with the rivets (because of the thickness of the tape) but you could probably just apply silicone to keep water out. Also you will need to be very careful when fitting the hinge because it is very long and needs to sit just right, and that tape doesn't let go once it grabs. You will probably need to tape the hinge to the door first and then tape that to the body and it will be awkward to handle.

Also, take care when drilling the rivets out of the door to avoid damaging the fiberglass - if I ever have to do this job again I would try to grind the heads off the rivets instead.

If you try it with the double sided tape, I will be very interested to hear how it worked out!
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Default Waterproof replacement hinge

I got mine from Moore Hardware in northern Cincinatti. That is the only place I have found them. I picked mine up on a drive by, but they ship.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #11

Thanks. I just got a note from UPS that my hinge from Moore Industrial will arrive tomorrow (shipped from Ohio last Wednesday.)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 AM   #12
Silver Member

Here is my post from 2018 on replacing the storage hinge on my 98' 190. Works just fine. As I said I had a local body shop replace and it was inexpensive. They knew what they were doing and did it in short order. Best, Bob

Default Hinge on RT outside compartment.
This worked for me on my 1998 RT 190. I had the local body shop install. Price for the item was $25.16 a few years ago. Don't recall body shop charge but it was cheap and I couldn't have done it. Came in 6ft length, just cut to size.

Item #: 4561-2231-020 Desc: 24MM X 2 METER BLACK CENTAFLEX

CONTINUOUS HINGE 6'

WEATHER PROOF, CORROSION RESISTANT, FLEXIBLE

Price: 25.16

Moore Industrial Hardware
77 Circle Freeway Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45246
Phone 800-543-1677
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #13

Thanks. The replacement hinge is now $80 -- $42 for the hinge and $38 for shipping. I've removed the broken hinge and all the old sealant. I'm planning on attaching the new hinge using 3M VHB structural adhesive tape.