Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2022, 05:11 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I'vr called 4 or 5 dealers ,,,,none would do any flaring or emptying.
May I ask where you live ?
Thanks for the reply
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:23 PM   #22
Bronze Member

I'm in Prescott AZ and used Flame Propane to flair off the propane in the tank and replace the valve.
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #23

Some gas valves have a gland or packing nut that compresses the packing material around the stem. If so try tightening the nut and that may stop the leak.
Billinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:01 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I had it done by AmeriGas located in the SW Suburbs of Chicago. I no longer live there
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #25

An RV repair place that works on propane can almost certainly handle it, call around.
You can almost certainly find another tank, too. The RV mfgs don't make the tanks they use in their conversions. Get under it and look all over, there should be a label somewhere.
We had an RV place here in Ohio replace ours on a 2008 RT a few years ago. They ordered a new one and installed it.
beauregaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:36 PM   #26
Silver Member

All bad advice. The tanks come in standard sizes and shudn't be hard to locate.
Also tanks have an expiration date so putting new valve/regulator on an old untested tank seems redundant.
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:27 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie409 View Post
Also tanks have an expiration date so putting new valve/regulator on an old untested tank seems redundant.
Note that this poster is Canadian.

ASME tanks (the kind that are permanently mounted in RVs) do NOT have expiration dates in the US.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:04 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Tank drained, service valve replaced, leak is gone. Took three weeks. The online order of the service valve still has not arrived.

Took a day of driving around to find one locally. Apparently it is unique to RVs. Really helped to have the original one with me as I searched. No excuse for it taking three weeks but that is the way it was. Good thing I didn’t try to get a shop to fix it.

I did replace the short propane hose. Would like to have replaced the fill valve and regulator. I had the parts but did want to risk creating more problems.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:19 PM   #29

Propane is heavier than air...this matters!

I looked around online - and for portable tanks, they recommend placing the tank more than 10 feet from anything - not near hollows in the ground where the gas can pool - and especially keep away from trees and scrubs that can be poisoned by propane - and then just opening the valve and leaving it to empty!

For a tank that's bolted to the vehicle though - you should probably just run a propane appliance like a gas stove until it runs out...being super-careful to have windows and door open.
SteveBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBaker View Post
for portable tanks, they recommend placing the tank more than 10 feet from anything - not near hollows in the ground where the gas can pool - and especially keep away from trees and scrubs that can be poisoned by propane
I agree with your advice, but I know of no evidence that propane is poisonous to plants (or animals for that matter). Other than its flammability, the chance of freezing and the risk of asphyxiation, it is pretty benign stuff.

https://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1980-c...ous-flammable/

https://www.elgas.com.au/sds-version-jan-2019/

Quote:
Eco Toxicity: Not toxic to flora, fauna or soil organisms.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
For a tank that's bolted to the vehicle though - you should probably just run a propane appliance like a gas stove until it runs out...being super-careful to have windows and door open.
The problem occurs when the tank is leaking. If it leaks with service valve off it will take care of it self. Stand back with no ignition sources on.

Leaking only with service valve on is a different issue and having any burners lit is not too smart. I was able to remove the tank, set it off by itself and use a 10ft. hose to get to the burner. It worked and didn’t risk smoking the coach.

It may be advised but I don’t feel good about releasing raw propane into the air. High risk for “poof.” I was told it was illegal within the city limits.

As an aside, an RV service valve (this is not the fill valve) is designed to be side mounted on the tank and has a high discharge rate safety valve. Top mounted service valves are a little different in design. Only RVs with bolt in tanks use side mounted service valves.

The mail order rv valve still has not arrived. I found prices from $26 to $88 (with vaseline). I paid $40 locally.

This is a listing for the RV valve.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191922265088
Old 12-18-2022, 04:58 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie409 View Post
All bad advice. The tanks come in standard sizes and shudn't be hard to locate.
Find me a place that will sell a Roadtrek Chevy Express propane tank and I’ll buy it. I know about the place in Kitchener, Ontario. They don’t answer the phone or emails and the site says pick up only. I ain’t driving to Kitchener. They do have a nice picture of the tank for ~$800 which is probably a fair price.

Correction. They want $1700 for the unobtainable tank. I’d try dealing with Manchester direct first. Has anyone completed a purchase from Mobilife RV Centre?

They don’t even respond to orders on their website to tell you you can’t have it.

I haven’t called Manchester who originally made the tank. It is not on their website but if I had to have it that is where I would start.

US bolt in tanks do not have an expiration date.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:48 PM   #33
Platinum Member

We got a side panel from then about 5 week after the auction (more than 2 or so years ago). They were very helpful*and pleasant. But. as we know LOTS have happened*since then.
Good luck.*My problem is beyond the tank or valve. Photo is a little hare to tell ,but I for sure can not get a tool of any kind near it . So, I think I'm going to take all of the piping, regulators etc.off and replace with new. Hoping that will last me till I get out of RVing!Take care*Muchael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:08 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
My problem is beyond the tank or valve.
I assume this means you have worn a hole in a copper propane line. Let us know how you repair it. Congratulations for not burning the 210 down. It could have easily been missed till it blew.

I would like to replace the heavy wiring (maybe 2 ga?) that travels under the floor from the passenger side to the drivers side in a 190. It has become old and stiff. Will have to figure out if it is even possible. Your propane line probably travels the same route.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #35

I saw that claim here...it's perfectly possible that it's nonsense - but out of an abundance of caution...

https://weldingheadquarters.com/how-...nk-for-welding

"If the tank has a lot of gas, take it out into open space away from trees and humans before you open the valve. Propane can be toxic to greenery and can kill any trees it comes in contact with. Find a clearing or open-air location with lots of ventilation to ensure that the gas dissipates as it is released."
SteveBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
I saw that claim here...it's perfectly possible that it's nonsense - but out of an abundance of caution...

https://weldingheadquarters.com/how-...nk-for-welding

"If the tank has a lot of gas, take it out into open space away from trees and humans before you open the valve. Propane can be toxic to greenery and can kill any trees it comes in contact with. Find a clearing or open-air location with lots of ventilation to ensure that the gas dissipates as it is released."
Pretty sure it is nonsense. I provided a link to an MSDS, which is pretty definitive. I checked several other credible sources, and they were all consistent.

People like to say stuff on the Internet...