Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default built in propane tank ,,how to empty

good after t'givingday
I need to rmpty my built in propane tank ,,, 2008 chevy Roadtrek 210 pop
How?
where?
I think I remember something about a bleeder ?
as always , thanks for any help or just encoruragement.
Take care
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
good after t'givingday
I need to rmpty my built in propane tank ,,, 2008 chevy Roadtrek 210 pop
How?
where?
I think I remember something about a bleeder ?
as always , thanks for any help or just encoruragement.
Take care
Michael

The safest way is to hook up a gas grille or run the stove with all the doors and windows open and nobody in the van until the tank is empty.

That said, when I emptied ours I just put on a propane torch I have that is on a 6' hose and set it away the van on a windy day and opened the tank and the torch valve.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
so, your reply leaves me with two "new " Q.
1....We never use the stove in the van ,so I have no idea how long I might have to run the stove to empty the tank ,any idea?
2.. Do I understand correctly that there is no "drain valve " on the tank?
This does give me another idea,,,, which is simply turn the tank valve on and let the LP escape through the leak. Would it be a good idea to run a fan ,to help blow the gas away? The LP leak is towards the right hand side of the van ,behind the bumper, nead the regulators..... on my 2008 RT 210 pop ,,,chevy.
Thanks again for the help.
Michael
Old 11-26-2022, 02:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
so, your reply leaves me with two "new " Q.
1....We never use the stove in the van ,so I have no idea how long I might have to run the stove to empty the tank ,any idea?
2.. Do I understand correctly that there is no "drain valve " on the tank?
This does give me another idea,,,, which is simply turn the tank valve on and let the LP escape through the leak. Would it be a good idea to run a fan ,to help blow the gas away? The LP leak is towards the right hand side of the van ,behind the bumper, nead the regulators..... on my 2008 RT 210 pop ,,,chevy.
Thanks again for the help.
Michael

I listed the safest ways so I did not include using the spit valve to drain the tank because the spit valve is right on the tank so under the van an inside the little opening in area above the bumper. I would not use that way unless there was a very good wind in the right direction to clear the gas from under the van. It is much more risk that the methods I listed as they either burn the gas safely or vent it a good distance from the van.

The stove will take a long time but it is a safe way to do it. The furnace would be quicker as it takes much more gas but also uses battery for the fan.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Another issue is the fact that propane is heavier than air, so doesn't naturally disperse very effectively. So, if you do decide to vent instead of burn, beware of potential accumulation spots.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

One more question,I hope.
If I go to a place where they sell propane ,,,,
Is it possible for them to drain the tank? Sort of a reverse fill??
Thanks*again for the help. I'm trying real hard not to blow anything*up or cause a fireTake care*Michael
Old 11-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Propane distributors (Suburban,Arrow gas, Ferrell, etc) are equipped to deal with this. Seek one of them out...do not go to a hardware store, RV dealer or U Haul, you need a propane Distributor that has technicians on site.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Propane distributors (Suburban,Arrow gas, Ferrell, etc) are equipped to deal with this. Seek one of them out...do not go to a hardware store, RV dealer or U Haul, you need a propane Distributor that has technicians on site.

Are those sources still available to you? A while ago I thought that I would just go to one of a couple of them close by home, but they only deal commercial now, no retail.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:44 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I picked examples of distributors I know of. I have dealt with Arrow and Suburban and found them ready to assist. I assumed all distributors had techs available as most of them do residential gas installs, but I would be wrong. It has been a couple of years since I have had to use one.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:07 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I’m going through the same thing. Tank is full ready for a trip and I discover a leak around the stem of the on off valve when it is open. No vendor would help or refer me to one that would. Years ago there was a vendor with a burner on a long hose that emptied a tank for me. It took four days for a 10 gallon tank having seven gallons to burn.

The most common advice was buy a new tank. Obviously not an option for a 20 year old no longer in production coach.

I removed the tank from the Roadtrek, Next Monday I expect to hook it to a 10 ft. hose and feed it into the furnace of a class C. I expect it to take four to seven days to empty. Will let you know how it goes. Burning it off through a stove top may take a week or more.

The next problem will be replacing the service valve. Hope it doesn’t break off. While I’m at it I’lll replace the regulator and maybe the fill valve, All 20 years old.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:22 PM   #11
Site Team

If it is any help, there are techniques for transferring propane from one tank to another. They involve heating one tank (say, in a pool of hot water) and chilling the other one.

I have never tried this. There are many How-Tos on the Net.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:25 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I’m going through the same thing. Tank is full ready for a trip and I discover a leak around the stem of the on off valve when it is open. No vendor would help or refer me to one that would. Years ago there was a vendor with a burner on a long hose that emptied a tank for me. It took four days for a 10 gallon tank having seven gallons to burn.

The most common advice was buy a new tank. Obviously not an option for a 20 year old no longer in production coach.

I removed the tank from the Roadtrek, Next Monday I expect to hook it to a 10 ft. hose and feed it into the furnace of a class C. I expect it to take four to seven days to empty. Will let you know how it goes. Burning it off through a stove top may take a week or more.

The next problem will be replacing the service valve. Hope it doesn’t break off. While I’m at it I’lll replace the regulator and maybe the fill valve, All 20 years old.

You just need to get one of these things.....

https://pavemade.com/products/pro-propane-torch-burner
Old 11-26-2022, 11:45 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You just need to get one of these things.....

https://pavemade.com/products/pro-propane-torch-burner
Now that you mention it Harbor Freight has ‘em for $20.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:34 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I cobbled these pieces together, about $15, and connected it to the aux. port adjacent to the tank fill. I vented on a windy day.

I would never vent from the stove, inside the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060775.jpg (145.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
I cobbled these pieces together, about $15, and connected it to the aux. port adjacent to the tank fill. I vented on a windy day.

I would never vent from the stove, inside the camper.

You don't vent it through the stove, you burn it through the stove or furnace. Big difference.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:49 PM   #16

[QUOTE=hbn7hj;143693]I’m going through the same thing. Tank is full ready for a trip and I discover a leak around the stem of the on off valve when it is open.

FWIW... The fill valves that leak in this manner usually fully seal when opened completely to the stop. If nothing else, allows safe usage until the tank is empty.
Bill V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:04 AM   #17
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Bill V;143760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I’m going through the same thing. Tank is full ready for a trip and I discover a leak around the stem of the on off valve when it is open.

FWIW... The fill valves that leak in this manner usually fully seal when opened completely to the stop. If nothing else, allows safe usage until the tank is empty.
I thought so, too, but fully open made no difference.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Only took a day and a half to burn a full tank of propane (7 gallons) through a 16,000 BTU furnace. All vents open, one window, and furnace set a 90F.

Service valve came off with no problem. Haven’t sourced a new valve yet.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Bad advice>>>The safest way is to hook up a gas grille or run the stove with all the doors and windows open and nobody in the van until the tank is empty.
Do what Johnny said and go to a place like AmeriGas. When they emptied mine for a valve repair it was hooked up to a pipe about 20-30 feet in the air. So much bad dangerous advice on this thread.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #20
Bronze Member

When I had to drain my propane tank to get a defective valve replaced I took it to a propane dealer who had the equipment to flare off the contents of the tank (and replace the valve).
Jim
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote