Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default bunch of ?s on my 1st RV

Hello all Steve here reside in Atlanta,GA& Montgomery,ALproud new owner of a
04 Pleasureway Lexor RD Chevy 3500,6.0 litre engine. purchased just by images & mileage no personal
Inspection, I acted very quick bc I know the rarity of this type van being sold used,she looked better in images,lots of little things require attention & repair.
Important stuff like engine/trans rear end are all functioning smoothly.
Onan generator an propane tank lots of surface rust.
Actually have been looking for over 8 years, in mean time been using express 1500s
So it’s a natural progression to step up to a nicely equipped 3500.
The PW main purpose is a tow vehicle for my 24’ deep sea cruising vessel total dry load including trailer is 3500LBs from
Montgomery,AL(store my big toys) to Gulf of Mexico, my current cruising range is Ft.Morgan AL-Destin,FL.
I normally weekend on vessel, so weather will determine sleeping in PW an will be limited.
Van has Massachutes Title I think the previous owner was associated w/ the Kentucky horse racing business.I purchased in Lexington,KY, So if any knows the PO I’d like to contact for vans history
An let them know she’s in good capable hands an will be used per year at minimum weather permitting 6 GOM trips
a dozen local lake trips a few events like sports car racing brasselton an b-ham.
I worked 22 years nationwide in telephony building networks, I’m done w/ the hotel nonsense, but still enjoy traveling, IMO this is the only method of regionalized traveling.
No missed flights due to delay/cancellation or being bumped.
I have many ?s here are my initial ?s
1.mounting of TV door hinge an how door locks?
2.want to fill fresh water tank,an test the plumbing. Like can the main tank be drained?A normal person would assume the tank is directly behind where it's filled, so do I have to jack up the van an crawl under it to drain main tank? I do understand draining the black 1st leave valve open then drain grey.
3.house battery location?I am able to open all the outside storage except the forward most on pass.side.I suspect this is house battery storage.
rear pass. side inside van I see what looks like is a house battery on/off key. but don't see a tray or battery box to hold battery.
4. the roof fans lid blew off. would like a economy replacement.saw $50. lids on amazon.I believe the fan is a fantastic bc of the elevating arm off to pass.side.
5.where are the awning wrench & supports normally stowed?
6.I understand for the Onan to run there must be more than a 1/4 tank of fuel.if it's less than 1/4 tank will it even crank over to try to start? currently the yellow fuel warning light is on so I assume there's only 1 gallon in tank, I depressed the Onan toggle switch at controll panel didn't hear the Onan try to start.
I think there are circuit breakers near the furnace?
7.do propane tanks have last inspected dated lable?
will surface rust effect a new inspection?
edit: I have downloaded the owners manual it's kindof brief an zero images.
Thanks for any tips.this is my 1st RV so I’m a complete newb

edit future threads will single subject.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home4 next to 1500.jpg (281.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg fan lid.jpg (144.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg fan lid2.jpg (296.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg TV door hingep.jpg (191.2 KB, 12 views)
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

there is a knob top left on the TV door which locks the door in place, once you sort out the hinges, these are "normal" euro hinges, so the mounting & adjustment is pretty easy to look up.

I replaced my Tv with a samsung. got rid of the digital converter. careful shopping got me a new tv which uses same power plug and same headphone jack for audio.

should be cabinet type spring clips on bathroom doors top and bottom to keep them closed ( bungees?)
the inner panels of the bathroom doors slide and extend and latch into brass fittings by the galley
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

2.) there is a drain on the tank directly below the fill door, get down and look.

IF you drain has been replaced with metal, replace that with plastic drain- that way if it gets hit by road debris the drain breaks and not the tank $$$$.

My van also has a guard made from a 18" piece of split 4" pvc pipe.
pic below, mine always post upside down- sorry

if you remove the lower drawer in the armoire and the carpeted base panel, you access the water pump and the fill hose- I just replaced my fill hose it had worn through due to a rough cut in the floor by the factory.
My campground fix was the sleeve it with 5/8" tubing- it is now a "permanent" ( I hope) fix.
The water pump should have a filter on the suck side ( RIGHT) it may also have a fitting for winterizing ( owner installed, some do, some don't)LexorPVCvalveguard.jpg
Old 10-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

yes on battery location, unlock door and swing up.

I tie mine to the furnace vent to hold it when I am working.

Most need the slides cleaned and greased. some need slides replaced due to rust.

yes on battery switch- on my TD I can reach mine through rear door
Old 10-28-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

it is a fantastic.

when you replace the lid, think about getting a cover. allows vent open during rain

yes it looks like a trash can on top and increases clearance requirements- but an open vent on a hot rainy day is good
Old 10-28-2022, 04:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

on the TD the awning crank is under my bed-

the crank and a center support.
the support legs unlatch and pivot out from inside the awning shell and swing down to the ground

when you need parts ( like end covers) for the fiamma F45i, gowesty.com has been a good source and less expensive than fiamma
Old 10-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

my fuel pick up is more like 1/3 tank. some owners install a petcock on teh fuel line. look along the frame rail inboard of teh left rear wheel.

you need a fully charged house battery to crank genny ( not the chassis battery under hood)

you have 120 volt circuit breakers ( and a GFCI in the head for head, galley and outside outlets)

12 volt DC fuses ( auto type)

and 12 volt DC circuit breakers, when tripped a black or red reset tab will project out the side.

the van has fuse panel under hood and also under the driver seat
Old 10-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

not sure about propane tank, no expiry date on mine.

here is a pic ( probably upside down) of my water pump, fill hose etcLexornewhose&pump.jpg

you should probably remove the anode for the hot water heater- 1 1/16" socket, replacements are cheap on amazon. relieve pressure first by opening hot water taps or you may get a shower. once removed hose out any debris/sediment inside.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:29 PM   #9
Platinum Member

hello Mike I see you have a newer version of my RV your so kind to answer all my initial ?s thanks alot.
I will study you'r answers and report back.Steve

1st report back is I did look under the RVs fresh water tank saw a white plastic
fitting about a 1" tube. so the petcock is missing. I'll post a image in a little while.
2nd report back there seams to be a piece of the TV lid hinge still attached to inside of TV box, do they snap together? I'll get so images of that also.
thanks again Mike
Old 10-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Hello Mike I think I understand how the euro hinge is designed to work.

The piece that’s inside cabinet is like a receiver the lid piece of hinge has a nipple that clips into the inside hinge.
To keep the two attached to each other is the lid piece screwed into cabinet?

dam there's a bunch of wires inside cabinet, will proballey ditch the DVD & most of those wires except for antenna.

there's plenty of room inside the TV cabinet for a mini PC.

what TV did you get. I've read the desirable is a 12 volt DC & 120AC.

pull out the battery operated clock and behind there is a secret stash area,

will insert battery hopefully the clock still works.

I also see the lock on top of lid, it's the same type of lock used on the outside storage.

Still can't unlock the house battery storage. I've oiled the inside of lock it's the grab lever that's seized.

the fresh water tank has a like 1" fitting however no pet cock.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinge clipped inp.jpg (144.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fresh water drain.jpg (128.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-28-2022, 10:03 PM   #11
Platinum Member

check youtube on that hinge- it'll also show how to adjust it once you have the "shoe" slid into place.

my tv is no longer made, a samsung T22B350ND- it's native DC ( for home use comes with a transformer brick) it has a media player and plays video files from a hard drive on it's USB port

can;t unlock the door? should be a #751 or 345 key- put your shin against the door and lean into it when you try the key... if you don;t have the right key these are dead easy to pick.

petcock/drain, you'll need something there ( see pdf)

here's a tips pdf from PW

Get_Your_Phil_Friday_Tips_All_40.pdf
Old 10-28-2022, 10:50 PM   #12
Platinum Member

yes just been watching a few vids. just 2 so far both where just for adjusting.
will watch more, I think I'm missing the rear most screw I believe it holds the 2 pieces together never sean a hinge like this, very cool hinge.

yes I have correct keys one brass opens lower bins on driver side.

I also have a sliver key same size key for the outside shower & water fill.
get this I observed a key sticking out of the hot water heaters outside access door previous owners method of hide a key it's a 2nd original GM key I'll keep in my wallet.

I'll try applying pressure on bin and report back.
so now I have to worry about some low life to pick the lock and run off w/ my battery, shore power cords leveling boards an other RV stuff. thanks again Mike

the chasis was making some strange sounds whenever I hit a small or large bump coming from underneth I thought it was plumbing.
had it inspected by a mechanic the front sway bar bushings where missing.

the vans being so tall really catch the wind and get moved around on road, I would imagine no sway bar bushing an flantened end link bushing would contribute to the winds effect.

every bump the bar clangged.plan to install energy suspension prollyuraphane.

thanks to nice folks like you I'm making progress slowely but shurely.this van is gonna be so much fun fixing up and using as new tow vehicle.

do you tow a Harley?

mike where are the GM options lable located? it's usalley on driver door jam or inside glove box?

I'm gonna have to reduce the size of the closet directly behind the driver seat
I can't slide the seat back enough also can't believe this seat isn't electric.

the pass. seat lock or I don't know how to lock it into position, it continues to spin.

the fresh water drain plug doe's it screw into the inside of the fitting I post like a male plug.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-2-i...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

or is a cap type that screws to outside of fitting sure hope it's inside bc the fitting looks all chewed up. I'm not sure if 3m 5200 sticks to the vinle the tanks is made of.

you won't believe what happened to my last tow vehicle I'll mention that story later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keys.jpg (182.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-29-2022, 12:08 AM   #13
Platinum Member

seat swivel is pretty standard for class B's 4 10mm head bolts to remove the chevy seat and you can clean and lube the bearings. the latch is pretty simple, yours may not be lined up correctly to latch.

gm tag, check the pass side door pillar

you should be able to change your locks to get all the same key if they are different

I don't tow anything with my van. never towed a bike that wasn't busted.

it weighs 8000 pounds, the steering suspension, brakes and wheel bearings should be checked

I doubt clearance for a rear sway bar between genny and differential, I use sumo springs front and rear. under $400 and 2 hours time
Old 10-29-2022, 12:33 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I can't speak specifically for Pleasure-way, but Roadtrek Chevies had the genny in the same place, we have one. You can squeeze a custom bar in between the genny and even with the big 10.5" rear axle option, as I have done that on ours.

Others have fit a Roadmaster sway bar in with minor alterations. The Roadmaster has the arms to the rear to clear the stuff that is normally in the way.

The Chevies, in general, handle quite a bit better than the Fords or Dodges but still can be improved with various modifcations and part changes that are described in a bunch of discussions on this forum.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:22 AM   #15
Platinum Member

re fantastic fan cover. I did have to replace my cover. bought the one on line. fit perfectly. except. it was easy for the lever-to-raise coming off the lid mating. part that mated with the lever had a connector that was smaller than the hole in the lid. solved by putting a washer on lever.

my description is confusing but you'll understand when you look at it.

simple fix.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I can't speak specifically for Pleasure-way, but Roadtrek Chevies had the genny in the same place, we have one. You can squeeze a custom bar in between the genny and even with the big 10.5" rear axle option, as I have done that on ours.

Others have fit a Roadmaster sway bar in with minor alterations. The Roadmaster has the arms to the rear to clear the stuff that is normally in the way.

The Chevies, in general, handle quite a bit better than the Fords or Dodges but still can be improved with various modifcations and part changes that are described in a bunch of discussions on this forum.
no no it's the front sway bar missing the bushings.

what is the trim level of these vans LS or base I'm thinking LS and base is a plain cargo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
re fantastic fan cover. I did have to replace my cover. bought the one on line. fit perfectly. except. it was easy for the lever-to-raise coming off the lid mating. part that mated with the lever had a connector that was smaller than the hole in the lid. solved by putting a washer on lever.

my description is confusing but you'll understand when you look at it.

simple fix.
I'll proballey fab a lid at of aluminum not spending $50.for a plastic lid.

still can't open the house battery storage bin. I think it's jammed up w/ dried mud. weird that I can turn key but inside lever is stuck.
thanks Guys for surport.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:28 PM   #17
Platinum Member

We swerved to the subject of adding a rear sway bar-

Booster is right, a rear sway bar is much preferable to the Sumos I mentioned.

Quote:
...genny in the same place, we have one. You can squeeze a custom bar in between the genny and even with the big 10.5" rear axle option, as I have done that on ours.
Quote:

I couldn't get either a manufacturer or shop to assure a fit without "buy it and let's find out" type of experiment.

I have about 3.75" between

We have never used the genny camping and continually consider dropping it - saving the weight and would allow swaybar.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #18
Platinum Member

OK I miss understood what booster was writing bc the current problem is no bushings in front sway bar.

I'm thinking this is why the wind had a more than uselle effect blowing the van all over rd.
thanks booster & Mike for explaining handleing improvements which this big pig needs handleing improvements.

I'm gonna try squirting water w/ garden hose at the darn lock. hat to break the lid to access the house battery. I busted some knuckles on the driveway this morning pushing on that lid.

ppl are informing me the AC must be covered or rain will ruin it. I have on history of van but have been informed van has been sitting for a while due to spider webs in wheel well.

gonna pick up a fresh water tank plug I hope I can fill tank and test plumbing.
I'm gonna order the bushing for a LS and hope they fit
I really don't see a differnce in any part bc this van is basicelly a cargo after all.
thanks again Mike
will report back later
Old 10-29-2022, 05:58 PM   #19
Platinum Member

the pdf I posted for you earlier from pleasure way has some useful tank drain info for you
Old 10-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Update of progress
Purchased a ½” PVC drain plug (per Mikes excellent advice to get plastic).I just noticed the protection, is that tube glued on?

I assume I can add water into fresh water tank and test toilet for flushing? I do understand the sinks/shower require the pump to be powered up? which won't happen untill I charge up the house battery? I assume the house battery is a deep cycle marine type?

The AC cover actually exposes the lower part. Basically the cover sits inside the cage?
And rests on top of the green sponge?
I think I need a 8' ladder my 6' is a tad short for climbing on roof, can the spare tire holder surport my 210LBs or is recommended not to climb on it?

The generator has 124 hours but appears very weathered same for propane tank, I see a guauge on tank it’s all the way to left in red probably empty.

Mike you where correct on options lable.Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fresh water tand drain.jpg (155.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg guage in red.jpg (199.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Generater.jpg (298.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg AC shell driv side.jpg (297.8 KB, 7 views)