Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I always feel a chill when I read a for sale ad for a motorhome that shows a model many years old with few miles and a "brag" about "only (insert a low number) hours on the generator". I always figure that is grand or two right there. A sitting long term not used refrig could logically have some of the same problems.
Paul
agreed... there a 2008 210P with under 9,000 miles on rv trader... yikes..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 AM   #22
Silver Member

I love the 3 ways for the propane option when boondocking. 40 should be good. A fridge is a fridge not a freezer.
Also, if you start with cold food in there and keep it relatively full with food and drinks, it will probably get colder.
Also, if its REALLY hot out, I've frozen water in half gallon juice jugs(perhaps smaller water bottles in your case) and then put them in the fridge.
I freeze one in the gas freezer and then rotate it with another in the fridge after it thaws.
This keeps temps down even on the hottest days(basically you're just giving it an ice box boost.)
But both fridges and freezers tend to work better with quite a bit of stuff in them and smaller ones work best when the stuff added is already cold as their recovery is very slow due to the small size of their mechanicals.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #23
Silver Member

40 degrees should be good fridges usually work better with stuff in them so like the other guy suggested add some cold beers Etc, also the fan suggestion from one of the other respondents is good as well
in addition when it's super super hot, I'll rotate a half a gallon juice bottle with juice or water into into the refrigerator to help it stay good and cold(some small water or juice bottles in your case).
I use the freezer in the same unit, but if I'm at home I'll leave with one frozen in the house freezer to help get it going.
Recovery for warm stuff being added is terrible as any small fridge has small mechanicals, so any frozen drinks moved to offset anything added that is warm REALLY helps the fridge.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:01 AM   #24
Silver Member

Sorry about the double post. The first wasn't showing after a few minutes so I reposted. Lol
Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #25
Silver Member

Propane is heavier than air, and the fridge has many louvers in it's outside cover and as will all things, propane will flow the way of least resistance so the amount of the tiny pilot light would take an act of God to become a risk in your class b even if you didn't seal the fridge at all.
The sealing is really for temperature control and not for propane safety.
In the event that a main line broke you would smell it and it would empty your propane tank pretty quickly if you didn't.