Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 02:29 AM   #1

Default Buy a rental class B?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Pleasure-way Excel TS with about 50,000 miles from a dealer. This unit was a rental. It looks great, has new tires, and all the features I'm looking for. However, I worry about newbie drivers having rented it and done things like parking on hills without turning off the refrigerator. Do I need to worry? Anyone have any experience purchasing a used rental class B?

I also can purchase a 2008 Pleasure-way Excel TS with about the same miles from a private party for about the same price. This rig also looks good, but it lived in a state where they use a lot of salt on the roads. The owner had a coating put underneath and on the paint job to prevent corrosion. Should I be concerned about corrosion?

Which do you think might be a better purchase?
BobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
Lou
Platinum Member

We have had two formerly rented RVs first a Class C and now our Pleasureway-Excel. Both RVs were in excellent state. First ask around about the reputation of the rental company. Both companies we bought from went over their rentals (mechanics) every two weeks so nothing was allowed to deteriorate. I am guessing that you can probably have it inspected by AAA, which is what we did. That is a service BCAA offers here.
All things being equal I would go with the 2012. I think the newer one may have LED lighting which saves a lot of energy. This is a big deal when you only have one house battery.
We don't usually have salt on the roads here so I don't know anything about corrosion.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Agree 100%

I would have as a condition of sale to 1) Have it inspected by a qualified independent agent and 2) Request weekend access/rental of the unit (boondock) to test out all the coach features to ensure you know the state of condition.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You could confirm that the 2008 is a 5th generation Ford E-Series. Some 2008 RV's have a 4th generation Ford E-Series base.

4th generation Ford E-Series 1997 - 2007
5th generation Ford E-Series 2008 -

The 2012 might have the rear mounted heat pump so more headroom in the rear - I can't recall when PW made that switch. The 2008 would have roof mounted A/C sitting in roof depression that affected head room in the back of the van. Take a look at some youtube videos to see the difference.

Ex-rentals sometimes don't have a generator.
I see Excels with and without Firestone airbags for the suspension. Or at least the controls are obvious in some.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Agree 100%

I would have as a condition of sale to 1) Have it inspected by a qualified independent agent and 2) Request weekend access/rental of the unit (boondock) to test out all the coach features to ensure you know the state of condition.
Excellent idea. My local Rental place will take the entire amount of any money spent renting with them for the last two years, off the cost of a used rental rig purchase.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

Thanks all. Great suggestions/comments.-- Bobbie
BobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I think there are also Excels with and without rear swaybar, which is a big deal according to some owners. New ones would be more likely to have it I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rental purchase?