Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 03:03 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Never owned or driven a comparable C, so can't say. My B does have rattles from something in the back- sounds like it might be the TV- but haven't taken time to track it down while someone else is driving. I have managed to get rid of others, and some come and go with temperature, humidity, and road conditions. I think some of that is inevitable in a motorhome.

If you like quiet, a towed rig is better (but you'll still deal with some hitch noise).

Engine braking on my Chevy Roadtrek 6.0L 6-speed is weaker than I'd like when pulling our 1600# travel trailer. Solo it's acceptable. A diesel is probably going to be better in that regard.

Brakes are very strong. But our daily drivers have 187K and 203K miles and still on the original brake pads, so we're not exactly hard on brakes.

A rental gets used and abused, and I doubt they bother to track down and deal with rattles as you would on your own rig. Brakes may be worn or glazed. I've seen lots of rented motorhomes riding the brakes through our local mountains and canyons rather than downshifting.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:54 AM   #22
Platinum Member

I am considering a Bambi too, problem is my tow rig is a model x. I probably would have to charge every 100 miles. That gets old pretty quickly
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #23
Platinum Member

No way I would tow anything bigger than an ultralight with an electric-only vehicle. Too many uncertainties when you travel widely, including poor power quality in many campgrounds.

There are some nice gas-electric hybrids that can also tow. Regenerative braking mode helps with grade descent. If you do decide to go the towed route, have you seen the Happier Camper Traveler? It's all-molded fiberglass, made in Los Angeles, and light enough to be towable by something like a Highlander Hybrid or a Lexus RX400H. It can be set up with a convertible double bed/workspace at the back and a single in front. Center galley and wet bath for some separation while work-camping. Might be a wait to get one, though.

Okay, I'll confess I like spending other people's money...
Old 10-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Okay, I'll confess I like spending other people's money...
I too am a "Spend as I say, not spend as I do." guy when it comes to dispensing advice. If you'd like me to invest for you, I can also make you a small fortune. You merely have to give me a large fortune to start with.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #25
Platinum Member

The car has plenty of power to tow, I just don’t want to be charging every 100 miles. Everything is cheaper than a new class b or even a Bambi lol
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpaddler View Post
Roadtrek has a new model with a pop up top with a upper bed
It's called the Roadtrek Zion Slumber. Starting MSRP $153,000.00. Supposed to seat 5 and sleep 5 with the optional folding bed that is made up of the two front seats.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote