Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 12:40 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Buying a class B for a family of 3?

Hey guys, we are a family of 3 (8 yo) and are looking to get into RVs as our international travel plans have all been ruined. I historically have hated driving long distance, but camper makes it easier to do long trips. Even though everything about our life style tells me I should have at least a small Class C (Winnebago Outlook is #1 choice) or Crossman Crosstrek, but I just cant stand driving a big car and my wife is nervous about driving a 25'. I seriously am thinking about a B, but 3 people seems extremely tight on it. I also don't enjoy the bloated 25' Sprinters or the annoying driving ergonomics of the Ram. That really leaves us with Pleasure Way and maybe some Winnebago at the 19 or 22'. With the 22', my son can sleep with us in the queen or use the air mattress in the front seat. The second problem we could have is that since we all work at home and he learns from home now. We might not have enough office space for everyone to be sitting in the car. If we rough it, I think we can have 2 in the back working and one working in the front lounge. Obviously remote learning is only a short term thing, I guess by the time I get the car he would be back in school. Still, we need to think long term if we are dropping this much on it. What do you guys think? Should I just save my money and get a C with 3 people and a growing kid.
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I think most newer B models would accommodate the 3 of you fine

the B advantages are ease of parking, MPG and ease of driving

if we'd gone larger my wife wouldn't co-drive, as it is she takes solo trips

we have an older pleasure way on a chevy van

best is go and look, look at everything you can new and used- watch youtube videos, watch how people move around and discern which lay out(s) appeal

some carry a puptent for the kids- maybe in time.

and I tell you there is nothing better than having a sandwich made to order and handed forwards while rolling
(& NOT ever having to do a "rest stop" )

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:13 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There is no Pleasure Way anyone, pretty much everything special order...
Old 09-26-2020, 03:23 AM   #4
Bronze Member

We own a Hymer Aktiv 1.0 Loft. We are also a family of three. My 10 y/o Son loves sleeping in the loft. We previously owned a Roadtrek 170 Popular which was way too small for the 3 of us. The 3rd bed was made using the 3rd passenger seat and passenger seat. This bed was really narrow, even for a child. So if sleeping comfort is what you are looking for, then a B van with a loft might be your answer. Currently there is the Thor Tellaro, Winnebago Solis and Pleasure Way Tofino.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:47 AM   #5
jon
Platinum Member

I have a under 20' transit that suits our family of 3 quite well. The key for us was to get one with two living areas. A sofa/bed in the back with a dinning area with a bed in the front. I had my van built similar to the AKTIV 2.0 with the rear sofa and it works perfect.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:26 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I agree that one with a "pop-top" is the best way to go for three.
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
There is no Pleasure Way anyone, pretty much everything special order...

Covid has made this a sellers market with less availability than in previous years ( perhaps partially due to the collapse of Roadtrek/Hymer brands)

mike
Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I like the idea of the pop up too, but the problem is that they all come on the Ram chassis. No offense to the Ram owners, but I personally think they are horrible in terms of driving ergonomics. I do not want to drive more than an hour on that seat, the school bus like position sucks too. I actually do like the Solis a lot, two problems killed it for me. One, Dodge. Secondly, as much as I like the cargo space, I realize the car doesn't have much computer work space. My wife and I both work at home, we need space to actually do work. The rear sofa on the Bs would help and the one in the front would serve as the other. I just need a place for my son if I can, but can probably find something to work around it.

With the kid, they probably prefer to sit outside on a big table anyway under the awning.

With everything said, I will probably end up with a Solis to save money
Old 09-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I like the idea of the pop up too, but the problem is that they all come on the Ram chassis. No offense to the Ram owners, but I personally think they are horrible in terms of driving ergonomics. I do not want to drive more than an hour on that seat, the school bus like position sucks too. I actually do like the Solis a lot, two problems killed it for me. One, Dodge. Secondly, as much as I like the cargo space, I realize the car doesn't have much computer work space. My wife and I both work at home, we need space to actually do work. The rear sofa on the Bs would help and the one in the front would serve as the other. I just need a place for my son if I can, but can probably find something to work around it.

With the kid, they probably prefer to sit outside on a big table anyway under the awning.

With everything said, I will probably end up with a Solis to save money
You can check out Embassy RV. Controlled custom build. They offer a porch tent which will provide more space for work and sleep. Also they make on Ford Transit chassis so no Ram Promaster. You will spend more but will get closer to what I think you want?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Consider the safety aspects of rear seating, too. Some are just furniture-grade seats with a lap belt thrown in. I’d want a front-facing seat designed for use in a vehicle with a head restraint and 3-point belt. Precious cargo!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
probably prefer to sit outside on a big table anyway under the awning.

unless it's raining, you'll all gravitate outdoors.
Mike
Old 09-27-2020, 04:46 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I confirmed everything again today. I rode in multiple RAM chassis van, none of them were comfortable. They all have weird driving positions and the seats are simply awful. I don't know if seat is different between all manufacture, but the Sprinter Boldt one was by far the best one. It was even more comfortable with the second row captain chairs too. The 25' is a little bloated, but they sure do feel nice. I need to confirm with a 22'. Unfortunately all 22' vans are sold out in my area

PS. The fit and finish were rather poor on the Boldt, the bathroom door seems super flimsy and noisy.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

the more you see, the more you'll be able to judge.

when we were starting our search I was way hot on a sprinter and loved the way it drove- the quality of the conversion was shocking with poor lumber cuts and blind screws once the cushions were lifted...not all conversions are equal.

I don't know what dodge is selling here- a few years ago I rented a camper built on a citroen version of the fiat ducato ( promaster) and it was great- diesel, 6 speed manual, great turning radius and all the features you'd want for narrow european streets. I recall the seat was spartan and the position upright- but I prefer an upright position.

keep looking, go look at some used/private sale units just to gather data

mike
Old 10-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #14

Default Class b for 3

Morning. Just a opinion here on 3 in a b. It is all what you like but our experience is this. If your going we larger b I would see no problem. Older small b we had 5 an we're always cramped, happy because they fit our current needs but cramped just two an a corgi. Personally we like the 23.5 c an the wife has no problems driving it you just need to get a few miles to get used to it. Length is very close to same an width is space we love having. Whatever you chose before you buy just rent one for a week it's well worth it, you may just do holiday in. Lol.
Best of luck .
Whitrock
whitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #15

3 would be real tight in a class B. Plus you need additional “stuff” for an 8 YO. Space is limited. Most importantly your 8 YO is growing and will outgrow the front cab quickly especially if the 8YO is tall. Our PL has a short King. Sounds wide until you realize you have walls on the side - not an edge of a mattress. My husband and I are not big and I could not imagine sharing a the bed with a growing (and probably squirming) 8 YO.
jan@gaudaen.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #16
Gold Member

Default Space the final frontier LOL

Quote:
Hey guys, we are a family of 3 (8 yo) and are looking to get into RVs as our international travel plans have all been ruined. I historically have hated driving long distance, but camper makes it easier to do long trips. Even though everything about our life style tells me I should have at least a small Class C (Winnebago Outlook is #1 choice) or Crossman Crosstrek, but I just cant stand driving a big car and my wife is nervous about driving a 25'. I seriously am thinking about a B, but 3 people seems extremely tight on it. I also don't enjoy the bloated 25' Sprinters or the annoying driving ergonomics of the Ram. That really leaves us with Pleasure Way and maybe some Winnebago at the 19 or 22'. With the 22', my son can sleep with us in the queen or use the air mattress in the front seat. The second problem we could have is that since we all work at home and he learns from home now. We might not have enough office space for everyone to be sitting in the car. If we rough it, I think we can have 2 in the back working and one working in the front lounge. Obviously remote learning is only a short term thing, I guess by the time I get the car he would be back in school. Still, we need to think long term if we are dropping this much on it. What do you guys think? Should I just save my money and get a C with 3 people and a growing kid.
Hello, We have a 2020 Travato and love it at 21', but when we take the kitties I put a rack on the back with some plastic boxes. Just a feeling, but you may be better off with a Class C for price and with sliders allows for that extra room. I really like to drive the Ram and it handles well (good gas mileage at 17- 19 mpg) with the new Sumo suspension. A Class C seems to make more sense for family and pet. Our neighbors bought a 2017 Travato and with their grandson, and dog it was very tough to deal with when it rained. I recommend you rent one of each for a weekend and that should help in the process. Best wishes
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:07 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Rented one with a slider. The space is nice but I wouldn’t want to own one with slider for reliability reason. I agree the class b van will be tight, especially 22. I would love a leisure van, but the stupid jump seat bothers me a lot
Old 10-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Roadtrek has a new model with a pop up top with a upper bed
Woodpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:40 AM   #19
Platinum Member

No ram. I might even tow an rv before I buy a ram
Old 10-03-2020, 02:50 AM   #20
Platinum Member

So we had a rental rig for our road trip. I have a few questions.

Does the sprinter b ride better than the sprinter c since the cab is part of the car, not an aftermarket shell that gets put on? I notice quite a few creeks on rough roads with these c sprinters.

I am driving a pre 19 sprinter, do these engines have a lot more engine braking than say a gasoline engine? I notice coming down the hill, the car is giving tons of engine braking and it is strong.

How is the road noise on a dedicated b vs a c?

How is the airstream compare to the pleasure way or galleria?

The brakes on this sprinter is horrible. Is it the rental or are they all pretty crappy?

Thanks