Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Buying a class b in the salt belt.

I'm interested in a class b in illinois. I've read that rust on the undercarriage is a big problem in those states due to salting the roads. I'm going to ask the owner to photograph the undercarriage and email them to me. I'm in florida.
shoalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoalster View Post
I'm interested in a class b in illinois. I've read that rust on the undercarriage is a big problem in those states due to salting the roads. I'm going to ask the owner to photograph the undercarriage and email them to me. I'm in florida.
Pix are good to start. Before finalizing or contingent to finalizing, I would get an on-hoist inspection done by a reputable inspector. Several that have gotten Dodges have found major rust on them that we have heard of, but all brands will rust in if driven in the winter, and even if stored outside in a snowbank all the time. The underbody generators and propane tanks are usually a good indicator, as they will be the soonest to show it, in most cases.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #3
Platinum Member

You didn't say what model of Class B. Pay particular attention to the upfit components, which will probably not be as well-protected as the chassis. Our rig appeared to have spent much of its life in Ohio prior to being moved by us into Texas. I've had to do rehab work on a number of its embellishments; for instance, this blog post describes a POR-15 job I did on the ground effects support system (running boards and associated wheel trims that run from stem to stern). I also POR-15'd part of the exhaust system, even though POR-15 is not warranted to withstand some of those temperatures (it discolors but seems to be fine).

The potentially good news is, although you may have to deal with more rust, you should have less rot. Northern vehicles age primarily by rusting. Southern vehicles age primarily by rotting. We have a friend who owns our same Class B model and year (met him and his wife on the forums), except his has lived its entire life in Texas. His is almost rust-free, but every belt, hose, connector, and other rubber- or plastic-based part has basically failed by now or is just about to, even big heavy parts such as the turbo-charger hose (diesel) that in more benign environments might last close to the life of the vehicle, but in his case, it spontaneously split (so did his propane fill line - bad situation there). We don't have that particular problem with our rig. Not yet, anyway.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:41 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Rusty RV in the salt belt?

It depends.

Some people (a lot of people) never drive their RV in the winter time; they winterize them and store them for the winter.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:56 AM   #5
Platinum Member

It may not be that difficult to find a rust free van. Many folks either store in the winter months, or leave to southern climes before the snow starts.

The Xplorer I recently found is essentially rust free at 18 years old.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote