Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #41
Platinum Member

When you buy something, the contract you've got with the manufacturer as far as warranty is concerned is clearly indicated in the owner's manual or the warranty booklet. Why not just download these manuals (house and chassis) and see what is indicated? That is far better that the opinion of a salesman somewhere.

William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Maybe a better solution to the issue is to buy used, after the warranties have expired, and the depreciation has maxxed out, and not worry about either when importing/exporting. There's no rule that says you can't import a used class B van. I met a couple who winter in Scottsdale, AZ, a few months back who purchased a Roadtrek that looked brand new. It was actually around 5 model years old, and was immaculate. I'm pretty sure their rig has no manufacturer's warranty left and the depreciation period probably likewise. They didn't seem too bothered by either issue, but that was them.
Or, do the homework, or due diligence, and then go for it, as the OP wanted to do. Like I said, the process is pretty easy, from the US to Canada. I can't speak about going in the opposite direction.
If there's nothing in the manufacturer's warranty info regarding cross border registration prohibitions, does that necessarily mean there aren't any?
Old 01-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Some links re: Importing

Canada to US:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...port%20vehicle

US to Canada:

https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

US to Canada Class B specific: (must check model year for admissibility)

Section 5.2 - Motorhomes Class B

You can purchase a warranty if desired. Or, I should say you could when I looked into importing a Sprinter based Winnebago View about a decade ago.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

and these...

Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--All Vehicles

Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...da01192007.htm

In Canada, the RIV is the Federal agency that decides what can be imported to Canada, with or without modifications, to be legally registered. I had dealings with them to clear the trailer before importation.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The duty on light trucks likely stayed around because the Big 3 liked it even if they had to work around it themselves on occasion. Seems it will likely end soon and people are predicting which vehicles will be coming over.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/str...icle-1.2385565

7 Trucks We Might Get if The Chicken Tax is Repealed

Ford is planning to resume Ranger production in the US in a couple years but they could import it before that.
Problem is the Chicken Tax is only one impediment,differing design standards are another.
Selling US Pickups will not be made any easier by dropping the Tax, in Europe for instance you rarely see a Pickup of any type
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:48 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Problem is the Chicken Tax is only one impediment,differing design standards are another.
Selling US Pickups will not be made any easier by dropping the Tax, in Europe for instance you rarely see a Pickup of any type
On my trips to Europe I've only seen a couple of American pickups. They are of little utility to most Europeans and are expensive to buy and operate.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
On my trips to Europe I've only seen a couple of American pickups. They are of little utility to most Europeans and are expensive to buy and operate.
They use Cab Chassis variants of Vans to do the work of Pickup Trucks. Payloads range from 2,500lb to 10,000lb, able to to tow roughly with some models 8,000lb. These do come as 4x4 Cab Chassis or Van. They are all diesel, 2.3 to 3litre Diesels
Petrol is incredibly expensive. Diesel offers much better torque curves
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...sucjqlhzt.jpeg
Off Road Cab Chassis Van towing Off Road RV
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...suttcppb3.jpeg
Fairly rare US Made Travel Trailer
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...sfvehepoz.jpeg
As a Low loader has a 23,000lb GCVWR
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...s19cultfn.jpeg
Old 01-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Robert Ryan, What you illustrated as examples are nothing like pickup trucks or even equivalent use. We have similar cab/chassis setups in America for those kind of functions. Pickup trucks are the number one selling vehicle type (Ford F-150) simply because people just like the haul utility and image. Americans overwhelmingly like their full size pickup trucks. What has suffered in America are the small and midsize pickup trucks. It seems all those have been shipped to the Middle East and adopted by the Taliban, ISIL and such.

My primary personal vehicle has been a pickup truck since 1978. Now that I am retired I have downsized to this 2003 Subaru Baja. It is my hobby toy as I have only put 8,000 miles on it in 5 years now.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Robert Ryan, What you illustrated as examples are nothing like pickup trucks or even equivalent use. We have similar cab/chassis setups in America for those kind of functions. Pickup trucks are the number one selling vehicle type (Ford F-150) simply because people just like the haul utility and image. Americans overwhelmingly like their full size pickup trucks. What has suffered in America are the small and midsize pickup trucks. It seems all those have been shipped to the Middle East and adopted by the Taliban, ISIL and such.

My primary personal vehicle has been a pickup truck since 1978. Now that I am retired I have downsized to this 2003 Subaru Baja. It is my hobby toy as I have only put 8,000 miles on it in 5 years now.

That is what they use the Cab Chassis" lorries" to haul a lot more. F150's would be useless in Europe because, they not have the utility (As Boxster commented),manoeuvrability or FE required. SUV's are much more popular , Global Pickup Trucks, are liked for Off Road performance mainly , as well as substantial payloads ( up too 3,000lb), but for heavy work that does not require a "Lorry", Cab Chassis Vans are used or Vans
As one US fellow traveler said to me and he was from Texas " They do not have pickups here, but a lot of what appears to be something like a 1 Ton"
For general use, they tow Utilty trailers behind cars, SUV's, Vans and Cab Chassis Vans. In fact they tow a lot in Europe, too a surprising extent
Asia , ME, Aust/NZ / South America are the lands of theGlobal Pickup Truck
2.4 million sold last year, making them the biggest combined market.
Used to make F100's and F150's plus F250/ F350's in Australia but demand was weak.Brazillan built F250/ F350's were imported in 2003-2006, same story