Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2021, 05:09 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Cabin Air Filter

Has anyone retrofitted a cabin air filter to their van. I have a 2006 C190V that is not equipped with one. The pollen and stuff bothers my wife. Thanks for any suggestions.
55 Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I recently read an article online about cleaning an older rig and I suggest you might google that a bit. The article said to vacuum everything (walls, ceilings, upholstery, carpets, etc.) three or four times using a stiff attachment for upholstery. Then, it recommended using a cleaning solution and applying it lightly to everything (and man they said everything, including the drawers inside and out and every cabinet as well as walls, ceiling, etc.) and then vacuuming again.

I would also take a look at the KoolKat AC in the Roadtrek and think about cleaning it out very carefully and replacing the filters or cleaning them several times.

When I clean an rv, I also use Lysol spray on everything, spraying it lightly and wiping it off. That seems to kill a lot of stuff also.

Units that have been around fifteen years like yours and mine just need an occasional super duper deep cleaning to really refresh them nicely. But, you can't miss a single spot inside when you do it. Once done, cleaning maintenance is much more simple.

I have allergies and have no trouble at all in our RT.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

filter not an option on the vans

the video linked below shows what we are dealing with

rather than pull the entire housing off, removing the fan and working through that hole is easy-

removing the resistor block gives a small cavity- but perfect for inspection

I have a small dirt devil which has a small diameter hose that can get in there

also check for blocked drain/weep hole- easy for us in AZ on a humid day, water about pours out

but I have had issues with wasps so worth checking
( my house ac condensate line gets blocked by wasps regularly- I use a shop vac to suck it all through)

some harley riders get the tranny vent tube blocked by wasps, which will cause tranny lube to leak out the clutch cable at the adjuster

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just had a look in mine through the resistor block- the 2 screws are 5.5mm but a 7/32 fits too ( 2005 chassis)

mine was clean and I suspect that the condensate must carry the dust/dirt grit away with it as it drains.
esp with the amount of grit here in Phx.

Mike
Old 08-31-2021, 01:51 AM   #5
Silver Member

mkguitar: When I bought it last year I did remove the fan motor and vacuumed the condenser area, then reached in as far as I could with a stiff 90* brush and brushed, vacuumed again the best I could. There was a lot of leaves and pine needles in there. I removed the wiper arms and cowl grille screen and cleaned that area as well, also lots of leaves and pine needles. While I had the cowl grill off I cut and fitted a screen then silicone it to the back side of the grill. I will remove the resistor block and look in there. I think the drain might be plugged as last week driving up to the rim, in the rain, water was dripping on my wife’s ankles.

Doneworking: Earlier this year I did a complete cleaning, disinfecting as I had no idea what it had been thru even though it looked clean. I bought it just as Covid was coming in play. I have a few water stains I still need to remove.
55 Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

you can look at a weep hole with a mirror and flashlight without moving anything

it is just to the right of the 2nd screw from the left on the lower housing,
it faces down

with a hand mirror I could see mine was open and see part of the condensor

mike