Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Location: East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Default California Registration Fees

Is California the highest in the nation? My fee's almost doubled from last years. Last year I renewed just before the change. This year I am in shock - a 2 year old SMB Sprinter right at $800

I really do want to move but we are locked in here for another few years.

In pain,

Keith
keithmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: California Registration Fees

That's a lot of money. That doesn't include insurance does it? I didn't pay much more than that for reg and insurance for a year on my van in BC.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #3

Location: East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

No, doesn't include insurance. They are just taxing us to death. In Arizona, because of my veteran status, my plates would cost about $30 or less. Eventually we have to move - it just has to not be a land-locked state or have too many big bugs.

Regards,

Keith
keithmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Silver Member

Keith
You can legally register your motor home in different state than where your current home is at. Because it does qualify as a home, and you travel with it, you may consider registering in a different state. If you travel and spend alot of time elsewhere with it, look into registering it there. We will be moving to Virginia when we sell our Ohio home, but I will not register our Roadtrek in Virginia because they have a personal property tax that they levy an annual tax on your personal cars, boats, RVs etc. I'll have to pay it every year on the boat and cars, but on the Roadtrek, we are going to register it probably in Florida where there is no such tax. That tax would be $800.00 on the Roadtrek now, and was $1600.00 when it was brand new. It is terrible that they can charge you a tax like that each and every year. If it was a one time sales tax, that would be one thing, but it is for as long as you own it. As a result, we have decided to register it in a state where we feel we spend a considerable amount of time, and one that does not have such high fees. It is worth checking in too, and if it doesn't work for your needs, no harm done. Many of the folks driving class A rigs do this, and maybe they could be a good source of information. I have already been to the DMV in Florida and obtained the proper paper work for me to register there when we are ready to. Just something for you to think about.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote