Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What type of device do you use for cooking in the van and what kind of fuel does it u
A built in stove top that uses gas or propane 32 76.19%
A protable stove that uses gas or propane 9 21.43%
A built in stove top that uses electricity 5 11.90%
A portable stove that uses fuel other than gas or propane 5 11.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2020, 01:37 AM   #21
Silver Member

We use the two burner gas range inside the van it is fed from the low pressure propane that also feed the Truma Aquago water heater, The space heater is a Webasto gazoline heather fed from the gas tank of the Promaster van converted by Safari Condo. Also have a microwave fed from the inverter/AGM batteries.
BUT
When camping for more than a day I really like the small 17 inches Blackstone griddle that I feed propane also from the main propane tank, while bypassing the gas regulator as the Blackstone needs a high pressure feed of propane. On this griddle I make eggs, toast, fish, meats, veggies. I also cook pasta/ sauces /soups by using a normal cooking pot sitting on the griddle. In short such griddle/plancha is cheap to buy. Got mine 2 years ago and I am planning to buy a second one as soon as the one I use breaks. The top of this griddle is made of cold rolled steel, once it is seasoned the eggs float on the surface using a minimal amount of oil. You clean the griddle using cold water while the griddle is very hot and scrape the surface with a scrapper, then you apply a coat of oil with a paper towel and the griddle is ready to be stored, fast and easy. Use a lid or a metal bowl that I fitted with a drawer handle and place over the food when needed, for example to get the eggs softly cooked on the top. (Hope I got some people hungry) I think I am ready to go out with my camper.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blacksto...1650/300116938
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:19 AM   #22
Platinum Member

We typically cook over the coals of a fire or with a BBQ that can burn wood, coal or propane and when we use that we prefer coal.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Mostly, I cook outside on a Coleman half-grill/half-stove that runs off the 16oz green propane cans... mostly because it means less cleanup in the rig if I cook something that splatters.

However, I'd say the ultimate in outdoor, portable cooking is the JetBoil system. As long as you cook anything "wet", it's AMAZINGLY fast... and they even have frying-pan type attachments, although I've never used them.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #24
Platinum Member

We have an electric induction cooktop and a convection microwave oven for cooking in the van. We have three different backpack stoves we use outdoors, largely because we can't decide which we prefer. The alcohol stove is slow but completely silent. The butane stove uses disposable cartridges which I hate. It is convenient to use, less so since we melted the pezol lighter. They both basically get used to boil water. The third stove is a Svea white gas backpack stove that cranks out heat but requires priming. It is the stove that gets used for most real cooking outside.

I think the biggest downside for all cooking in the van is cleanup. Its a small sink and we have both limited fresh water and limited gray tank capacity. The other issue is ventilation, especially when the weather is cold. It would be nice to have a secure spot where you could leave an instant pot, slow cooker or bread machine running while traveling. I am not sure we would actually use it, but I like the idea of fresh bread baking while we travel.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #25
Platinum Member

We use a propane grille outside, on a hose to the Roadtrek tank so no cannisters to deal with. Hardly every have to fill the tank.

With the grille, cleanup is easy, just turn it on high to dry any mess and use the brash brush to brush it off. No more than a couple of minutes and no water needed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:58 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
It would be nice to have a secure spot where you could leave an instant pot, slow cooker or bread machine running while traveling. I am not sure we would actually use it, but I like the idea of fresh bread baking while we travel.
We secure the Instant Pot behind the bed just inside the rear doors. This is also where we secure the Sous Vide which heats our shower water.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:34 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and was hoping to learn more information about how people go about cooking in their vans. My name is Ryan Koester and I'm a college student going through Cal Poly. I'm working on a project to make compatible portable stove top for those cooking outside a house! I'd really like to learn more information about how cooking devices are currently used and stored as well as any features you particularly like or dislike about your current cooking set up such as having compartments for storage or the type fuel source used. Any information would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
I use an induction cooktop and an Instant Pot and Microwave...as several of you know, I am very leery of Propane and don’t use it...also, just had the “Clean Heat” system installed, am looking forward to using it this weekend!!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, cooktop, van, van conversion, vanlife