Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaC View Post
Yes, but antifreeze is inexpensive and easy to winterize with after blowing out the lines and whether it makes sense or not it gives me peace of mind when it’s -20 or colder. Just my little routine.
I agree. I installed a "T" fitting and valve with a short piece of vinyl tubing on the input side of the water pump. After I blow out the lines thoroughly and close off the tanks, I stick the end of the vinyl tubing into a jug of antifreeze, turn on the water pump and pump just a few cups of antifreeze into the system for my piece of mind. I still haven't used up my gallon of antifreeze in several years.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:40 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
I had a shower valve crack once - the compressed air didn't clear it completely and enough water settled in it to bust it. Sprayed a ton of water inside one of the walls. Trailer was an all-aluminum Livinlite Camplite so no damage was done.
Do you happen to remember whether the damaged valve was left open or closed? I always leave mine open, and have wondered whether it matters or not.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #43
Platinum Member

I thought I was being smart last fall and left my faucets open after winterizing to avoid cracking. This spring I was filling my freshwater tank and finally noticed that my kitchen sink faucet was still open with water running but the damn corian sink cover was still on. It took awhile to clean that mess up. I will probably close the faucets from now on. LOL
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Do you happen to remember whether the damaged valve was left open or closed? I always leave mine open, and have wondered whether it matters or not.
Closed.

It broke on the shower fixture side of the valves, so only leaked (behind the wall) when the shower valves were opened. Didn't find the leak until we were at a campground & taking a shower, of course.

My guess is that leftover water ran back down the shower hose into the valve after blowing it clear, then froze and cracked the back side of the fixture on the low pressure side of the valves.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote