Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 01:30 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Camping vs Parking

Question: Do you distinguish between "camping" and "overnight parking"?

We've seen signs that say, "No camping or overnight parking." My legal mind says the "or" makes them two different things, so if there is a "no camping" sign, I can still park overnight unless another sign says I can't. IMHO, Parking the van overnight, then leaving without even opening a door does not present the threats to the environment addressed by "no camping" rules.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:49 AM   #2
Platinum Member

From the perspective of “camping” these two are mutually inclusive but from the perspective of “overnight parking” they are mutually exclusive. Overnight parking implies someone is in a vehicle. So overnight parking means no snoring, no erected awning, no chairs outside, no table etc.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Bronze Member

You're good in Connecticut! (at least according to the Boondocker's Bible)

Is Overnight Parking Allowed at Connecticut Rest Areas?

Yes, overnight parking allowed. There are no laws or rules prohibiting overnight parking. Moreover, none of the rest areas or service plazas in Connecticut have signs prohibiting overnight parking. Note that because these rest areas and service plazas are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you are allowed to arrive at night and stay long enough until you are able to continue driving safely.

Can You Sleep in Your Car at Rest Areas in Connecticut?

Yes, you can sleep in your car. ConnDOT expects drowsy drivers to enter into a rest area or service plaza and get some sleep. They would prefer you to sleep in your vehicle instead of sleeping outside on the grass or on a picnic table.

Is Camping Allowed at Connecticut Rest Areas?

Yes and no, it depends. There are no laws or rules in Connecticut against camping at rest areas and service plazas. However, all rest areas and service plazas are patrolled by the State Police. If you were to pitch a tent at a rest area, or set up your camping gear outside your RV, you will likely be approached by a law enforcement officer. On the other hand, most rest areas in Connecticut have picnic tables, cooking grills, pet areas, scenic walkways, and viewing areas. You are certainly welcome to use those facilities for some level of outside recreation. As long you don’t extend that recreation through the night and into the following morning, you’ll be fine. Just put away your camping gear at night and stay in your vehicle, and you should be fine.

Of course, we have a better spot for you, MsNomer!
Old 05-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Bronze Member

From the same source...

What is the Difference Between Overnight Parking and Camping?

Camping is largely the real issue with states when it comes to rest areas. Most states consider camping to be a form of recreation, whereas overnight parking is a matter of highway safety.

They don’t mind drowsy drivers using rest areas to get some sleep, because after all that’s exactly what rest areas are for. What they don’t want are people using rest areas for excessive recreation.

But to make matters more confusing, nearly all states have implemented recreational facilities at their rest areas. They have installed picnic tables, cooking grills, children’s play areas, pet exercise areas, short hiking trails, scenic viewing areas, museums, art installations, even fishing decks. So while states are trying to discourage camping at their rest areas, they actually do encourage visitors to enjoy a wide variety of fun.

The fine line is drawn when the sun sets. States don’t want you to continue those outdoor activities through the evening and into the following morning. They don’t want to see people sleeping in tents, sleeping on the grass, campfires burning all through the night, nor people making noise into the late hours. As soon as it gets dark, they want you put all of your stuff inside your vehicle and for you and your passengers to stay inside as well. At that point, they expect you to get rested and get on your way.

Non-Rest PArking Areas may have a different point of view!
Old 05-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

No overnight parking means just that and applies to vehicles occupied or not. For instance, some people who might use it as a remote parking lot. No camping may or may not apply to sleeping in your RV overnight. Most states that allow overnight parking at rest stops would not consider sleeping in a vehicle camping. Put out your slide, the awning and chairs and they would likely have a different view, as would staying all day.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm not concerned about rest areas. IMHO, sleeping is resting, though I understand that some states curtail overnighting by imposing severe time limits. I’m thinking of spots suitable for overnighting that have a "No Camping" sign, but not a "No overnight Parking" sign.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default No camping means no camping

I would assume a no camping sign in a national forest, park, trailhead, parking lot, private property, etc. applies to RV's. The only reason a rest stop is different is that their purpose is to provide travellers with a place to rest.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

But the question is—if the sign at the trailhead says "No Camping", am I "camping" if I never open the door.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Camping is an outdoor activity involving overnight stays away from home with or without a shelter, such as a tent or a recreational vehicle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping I see no ambiguity in this definition.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I think so. in fact, that is what they are trying to prevent. the purpose of the trailhead is to allow people to access the trail. If you were getting up at the crack of dawn to go on a long hike you could say you were using the trailhead for it's intended purpose, not camping.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:55 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
If you were getting up at the crack of dawn to go on a long hike you could say you were using the trailhead for it's intended purpose, not camping.
And that is usually the case.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:12 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I think my take on it all would be al lot more basic.

If you need to ask these questions down to details about definitions of terms and such, there should be no question that you should contact the people in charge of the areas you are talking about and find out for sure. Do it by email or text so you have proof to show if questioned when you are parked someplace.

If you want to stay within the rules, there is no reason I can see why you wouldn't do that contact.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I have asked at a couple of USFS area offices in the SE, Pisgah and Chattahoochee. I was told by both that overnight parking was OK at various water access points but the act of camping was not allowed. Our conversations did get quite detailed on what exactly camping vs parking entailed. (Don't leave a lawn char out, for example). This was a few years ago.

Obviously this could vary in different areas.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:51 PM   #14
Bronze Member

I live in a beach town where the police routinely enforce a 'no overnight parking' ordinance o the beach front lots. While I have never tested it, I will bet that if you try to parse words (e.g. parking, camping, standing, etc) with the local constabulary at 2AM, you will likely wind up with a citation and the admonition along the lines of "well, you think you are right. I think I am right.... lets the Judge decide".
Kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

If I were called on it, my attitude will simply be, “This was my reasoning for staying. Sorry I was wrong.” No way would I argue.