Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Campskunks new (supersecretsystems)roadtrek

Hmmmm good theories, all.
I had thought the latter, that they had somehow heavily discounted the unit, perhaps offset by campskunk's free input as to the where's and what's that he may have suggested. Coupled with some sort of trade-in allowance, at a preferred select Roadtrek dealer (there's at least one within a few miles and more within 30). Anything's possible, I guess. The way he wrote the article, I felt like they were waving goodbye to their 2003 C190.
It certainly is a surprising result, born from an interesting partnership between the most prolific class B converter by market share,
http://www.rvbusiness.com/category/stat ... -vehicles/
and one of the many end users that have decided to modify their van for increased long term comfort and functionality.
It speaks well of Roadtrek that they aren't above listening to the end user community, when looking for ways to improve their products based on real world feedback, and looking for new ways to innovate. It all serves to maintain their status as the industry leader in sales, by offering the widest number of models in a conventional production environment. Say what you will about them, but they are still number one.
Maybe it isn't so surprising in that context, after all?
Hope we run into them out there somewhere. I'd enjoy having a look at their rig, and I'm pretty sure I could learn something. Probably a lot.
We meet class B folks out there all the time when we travel, and some right here at home. I never realized that border towns can be a mecca of class B van traffic. You just have to keep your eyes and your mind open.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Jim Hammill is the president-but he does not own Roadtrek. if he gave a Roadtrek to someone don't you think employees and company might have issues.
Actually thinking about it some more, he's the president for a reason. The "owners" trust him to run the show every day as he sees fit. If he chose to do something like that, for whatever reasons, I think it is probably within the function and scope of company president. Whether anyone has a problem with it is probably not a factor to him.
Just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:
Jim Hammill is the president-but he does not own Roadtrek. if he gave a Roadtrek to someone don't you think employees and company might have issues.
Actually thinking about it some more, he's the president for a reason. The "owners" trust him to run the show every day as he sees fit. If he chose to do something like that, for whatever reasons, I think it is probably within the function and scope of company president. Whether anyone has a problem with it is probably not a factor to him.
Just my opinion.

that might be true in a 'big' company-but Roadtrek is a small(250 employees) company most in the same location. most of the employes have good opinions of campskunk(steve) but it would be why does he get a free roadtrek and not me.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Maybe. Maybe not.
Either way, it is a q&a that will no doubt be protected by another non disclosure agreement.

Too much non disclosure might eventually be seen by some as just so much more bs, but again that's just the way some may see it. Take some of the secrecy that has been applied to some recent high profile government nonsense, as an example of too much info withheld equals a perception of bull feathers by those few skeptics among us.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #25
Platinum Member

more from campskunk

keep in mind he is a full-timer

I would not have this but i can understand it.

http://roadtreking.com/giant-permanent-rv-bed/
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
Platinum Member

If he had added a hinge across the middle or at the rear of the platform, to allow access to the under bed storage from inside the cabin by lifting the bed frame from the aisle, he would have booster's bed setup. Which I think many would prefer. I know I would.
There are pics of it on here somewhere. In the tweaks and mods section I think?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Details of Booster's bed mod here: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...3.cfm#23560903
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #28
Platinum Member

i cannot tell you why campskunk did not go this route. However because he carries 2 large satellite dishes(that he carried in a hitch carrier in his 190)
maybe he decided to go this way
Old 10-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see a hitch carrier added to the new rig sooner than later. It seems that there's never quite enough storage in a B.
I'm still thinking about adding one to our 190. Rola probably after seeing one on a Pleasure-Way here a few days ago. They didn't have the swing arm model. The owner said it added just enough outside space for items they wouldn't carry inside. Like a small BBQ grill.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
Platinum Member

he did say in another post that one goal of his new van was to eliminate the cargo carrier
Old 10-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Yes i remember that comment. I've been saying for 6 years "no carrier", but times and needs change.
We'll see. It was just a guess anyway.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes i remember that comment. I've been saying for 6 years "no carrier", but times and needs change.

Mike,

since i see by your sig you have 190.

In first quarter of 2015 i will be ordering a 190 popular. Jim Hammill has told me i can get a compressor fridge as a special order on it. It will have the standard fixed twin bed dinette-standard toilet configuration(i like the idea of temporary bathroom and the armoire that takes place of 3rd seat.

I will be ordering the engine generator/2500 watt inverter/4 battery/solar panel package.

based on your experience with 190 does that seem feasible?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Campskunk:
Quote:
It’s hard to sell permanent beds to first-time RV buyers; they like the idea of a power soda or dinette better because it allows multiple uses for the same space.
First time buyers buy the sizzle and like to see the wine glasses, throw pillows, rose in the vase, and such. Fixed beds have been an option with many converters including Pleasure-way and Great West Vans. Wasn't it an option with Roadtrek as well? As explained to me by a dealer, they would never order a fixed bed model to sell on spec or show. It's that sizzle effect again. So, fixed beds were generally only special order.

With the extended body Sprinter and the hiked up higher bed there should be plenty of room to store the toys in the back and I could guess considerably more room than he had in his old Roadtrek. I suspect that was all worked out. Why no lift lid? Maybe he did not need it with all those satellite dishes and what he had planned to store back there.

The Winnebago ERA 70A still has the best back fixed bed design, IMO to try and satisfy all. It does have a wedge insert that can be in or out. Out makes it easier to get in and out of bed because they hiked the bed up even higher than what Campskunk shows. The ERA also has the lift lid to get into the back. But keep in mind when you add a lift you have to split the mattress and that can get back to the complaint Campskunk made about the crevasses without toppers.

I'm sharing the concern for the cat in our design. Do you suppose we pay too much attention to that? After all, they are such aloof animals you'll never know if they appreciate it.

I wonder what transpires up front in Campskunk's B. Do you suppose the traditional second and third captain chairs will be there like Roadtrek pushes? Will that be the next show and tell?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I see a permanent dintte/twin bed in the 190 as a permanent bed. the sofa no.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Mike,

In first quarter of 2015 i will be ordering a 190 popular. Jim Hammill has told me i can get a compressor fridge as a special order on it. It will have the standard fixed twin bed dinette-standard toilet configuration(i like the idea of temporary bathroom and the armoire that takes place of 3rd seat.

I will be ordering the engine generator/2500 watt inverter/4 battery/solar panel package.

It sounds like a dream package to me. If i could do it myself, I would retrofit exactly what you're ordering.
Alas, my 190 experience is a standard 2002 package with 2 AGMS and 2 smaller 400W inverters in my entertainment unit where the old tube TV sat. I've swapped out as many incandescents for LEDS as possible to stretch my off grid battery reserve. I have no solar added (yet). Even my charger is factory issue single stage, so you get the idea? Oddly enough, it all works for our needs and we do mostly boondock or camp using primitive sites.
I wish I could order that off grid package you're getting as an upgrade for our 190.
Excuse me while I find a napkin for the drool.....
Old 10-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Mike-thanks for the positive input
Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Mike,

You are basically ordering what we have in our 2007 109P. Aisle shower armoire in place of third seat, compressor frig, 375 AH of batteries, permanent bed, 250 amp alternator, 200 watts solar.

I will be very interested in what you wind up with for a solar controller, shore charger, inverter, and charge controls for the engine generator. You may remember the discussion on AGM charge rates and what Lifeline recommended (no more than C/4). For the 400 AH you will get (I think), that would only be 100 amps, but if the generator is uncontrolled, it would do 200 amps, which Lifeline said would shorten battery life and possibly void warranties. Ithas also become very obvious to us, that all the charge methofds don't always play well together.

If you get the 4 batteries, do you lose the generator option, and get propane in the side pod? (tire underneath).
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
Quote:

Mike,

You are basically ordering what we have in our 2007 109P. Aisle shower armoire in place of third seat, compressor frig, 375 AH of batteries, permanent bed, 250 amp alternator, 200 watts solar.

I will be very interested in what you wind up with for a solar controller, shore charger, inverter, and charge controls for the engine generator. You may remember the discussion on AGM charge rates and what Lifeline recommended (no more than C/4). For the 400 AH you will get (I think), that would only be 100 amps, but if the generator is uncontrolled, it would do 200 amps, which Lifeline said would shorten battery life and possibly void warranties. Ithas also become very obvious to us, that all the charge methofds don't always play well together.

If you get the 4 batteries, do you lose the generator option, and get propane in the side pod? (tire underneath).[/quote

no -this is not the 40th anniversary edition. the ONLY difference in this 190 is the compressor fridge(special order)-everything else is exactly 190 options. the tire will be on the carrier-the rear propane tank prevents tire being underneath. the partial e-trek package is an option on 190. i am not technically proficient person-roadtrek will make those choices
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Options or not, it sounds like a great combo.
I have one question.
Will it include a generator? Or does the semi-ETrek package eliminate it?
I have always been happy with my Onan. I would look at the extra batteries and the solar charging as some added redundancy for extending our off grid time.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Options or not, it sounds like a great combo.
I have one question.
Will it include a generator? Or does the semi-ETrek package eliminate it?
I have always been happy with my Onan. I would look at the extra batteries and the solar charging as some added redundancy for extending our off grid time.
the engine generator system replaces the Onan(although you can put that on also)but who would want to?. i intend never to have to use onan.

the 2500 watt inverter will power the AC. however it kis not going to be a super long lasting system like the full e-trek. it is only 4 batteries-should run the AC for at least 2 hours when we leave our cats. I don't think it would go longer than that..

if an Onan was as quiet as a Honda i'd get an Onan.we'll you know how loud Onan is. if i feel i need
air conditioning overnight i will plug in.

everything is a compromise

Jim Hammill said that early on in the E-trek system a few people put on Onans also-but they rarely(even rarer than normal) use them. my knowledge of the Onan is that they work but because of the buzzsaw sound people find ways not to use them

other than the need for AC the van i order will be fully operational on 12 volt and propane. the inverter system will supply the power for AC while driving and the batteries for a few hours while not driving