Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Carado Banff

Anyone out there that has Carado Banff class B if so would like there
input as how they like them am seriously thinking of purchasing a 2018
Banff. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe
mira1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira1 View Post
Anyone out there that has Carado Banff class B if so would like there input as how they like them am seriously thinking of purchasing a 2018 Banff. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe

Apparently the 2019 Banff incorporates some improvements not provided in the 2018 model. You may want to make a comparison regarding their respective price and features before deciding which year model best suits you.

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I bought a 2918 Banff last September and just turned the 10,000 km mark today. I love it, I love the open layout.
I just started a Carado Owners Group on facebook.
Feel free to join and ask questions

https://m.facebook.com/groups/461889...&source=result
Toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:44 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Interesting, seems as aluminum framing is penetrating B-class construction. Profile looks similar to the 8020 Quick Frame.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2.png (697.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: png 3.png (888.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: png 4.png (744.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: png Untitled.png (1.06 MB, 36 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #5

We're in process of getting a 2019. It does have the backup camera and improved radio with nav. We also got the volt start as an option.
csaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Those are big improvements on the 2018.
I had to install an aftermarket nav/backup cam
Old 07-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Gold Member

The Banff is a Van One clone, but under the brand Carado (instead of Hymer). The Van One is crap. I looked at several. The fit/finish is absolutely horrible. BUT they can be had for $58K. The same as the Axion. I almost pulled the trigger on the Axiion, but the quality was just awful.
However, if you are going to do it, know that the 2019 Banff will offer VoltStart.
I recommend going over the exact van you’re considering with a fine tooth comb. Every one I’ve looked at had flimsy or broken parts, and the problems were different in each van I looked at.
I know this is a negative answer, but I hope it helps.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #8

I just picked up a 2018 Banff so cannot speak to longevity. But the initial quality was actually very good. It’s not like a luxury brand car and isn’t priced that way. The features and usefulness of the layout are what swayed us this way. The upgraded radio/back up cam on the 2019 was tempting but we were able to work a back up cam into the 2018 deal. Most of the time the upgraded radio systems are frustrating and we don’t use half of the features. And we liked the fancy wheels on the 2018... Volt-start looks cool too but we weren’t sure how much we would use it. And of course the 2019 pricing will be higher until later in 2019.

Interesting point on the Sunlight/Banff relationship. Our owners packet came in a Sunlight branded pouch.
Lenwoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Bronze Member

I have a 2018 that I bought last fall. I love the open layout. The price is a lot less than other models, and I expect the quality may not be quite as good, but it does everything I need it to. I’m extremely happy with it.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Glad you enjoy your Banff, I decided to with the 2018 Banff also, it has everything I would need it also comes with rear camera and nav system the only thing it doesn't have is the volt start but I guess if my batteries happen to run done I could start the engine for a half hour lot cheaper then the volt system. Expect to take delivery the 20th July.
One thing I am surprised that it doesn't have is a outside cable or sat connection. But that shouldn't be a big job to do.
Will give update when I take delivery.

Cheers to all Joe
Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Congrats!!! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
Silver Member

If they had told me these new features were coming in the 2019, I'd have waited for it.
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Default new Banff

I took delivery of my 2018 Banff yesterday only driven 150 Km but it handled
very good with some wind. Parked on my camp site and started the learning curve hooked up to the park water and wife yelled water every where inside
of the cab turned out to be the dealer had turn the valve to the fresh water tank so when I turned park water on fresh water tank over filled and poured inside of cab reversed the position of valve and all ok now. One good thing I can this time it wasn't my fault.

Cheers to all Joe
Old 07-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
I took delivery of my 2018 Banff yesterday only driven 150 Km but it handled
very good with some wind. Parked on my camp site and started the learning curve hooked up to the park water and wife yelled water every where inside
of the cab turned out to be the dealer had turn the valve to the fresh water tank so when I turned park water on fresh water tank over filled and poured inside of cab reversed the position of valve and all ok now. One good thing I can this time it wasn't my fault.

Cheers to all Joe

It is safer to fill the tank and use the pump.
(and turn off the pump as soon as you are finished using the water)

1. You will need a water pressure regulator if you plan to use the water hookup. Camp water pressure is not consistent; if a few Class A finish shower at the same time, the water pressure can jump up, and spring a leak in your RV.

2. If you go on a 4 hrs hike and something happened to your plumbing while you were gone, you could come back to a flooded RV. It has happened to many people. You have a mini-home that shakes and rattles down the highway. The plumbing is not as secure as those in your sticks and mortar home.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:28 AM   #15
Gold Member

Sadly, there are so many Hymer owners that are having so many problems with these vans. I did a video when the Sunlight first came out and I was shocked at what crap they were. Hymer and Camping World both asked me to please remove the video and I declined. Then Camping World threatened me, so I refused.
Here is a link to part one of the two videos I posted on the Hymer vans:
https://youtu.be/-WzUs5IqtEo
Seriously, we went there to actually buy one. Thank God we didn’t. They are built so poorly. Since putting up this video I actually talked to the North American manager for Hymer and he told me that the Sunlight, the Banff and the Axion are all made in two hours. That’s it. They are allotted two hours on the assembly line and that is it. That’s crazy. If I were working on that assembly line I would be under so much pressure to get my part of the job done in the time I was allowed to do it. No wonder doors are falling off and water is leaking everywhere. There are more used Hymer vans for sale on RVtrader.com than any other 2017/2018 class B vans- combined. That’s sad. I really wanted them to succeed. But their quality is awful.
*all typos courtesy of Siri
Old 07-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

Hymer could have offered to "buy" your video.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #17
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Hymer could have offered to "buy" your video.

True, but instead the sales boy at the Camping World left me voicemails begging me to remove the video or he could get fired. When I told him I would edit the last 10 seconds out (the only part that could POSSIBLY be misunderstood by viewers), he said no, he needs the whole thing deleted. That camping World tried playing me for guilt trying to make me believe he could be fired by Hymer, but really, they just wanted the bad review video down. The owner even called me and told me he would fire the kid if I didn’t take it down. I told him he was a POS for even trying that one on me, and I shamed him for doing so. The kid still works there, btw.

Another bit of info: The Axion is built in 6 hours, unlike the Sunlight Van One and Banff (which are identical units) being built in 2 hours.

I had such high hopes when I heard Hymer was coming to North America .
Old 07-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
................turned out to be the dealer had turn the valve to the fresh water tank so when I turned park water on fresh water tank over filled and poured inside of cab reversed the position of valve and all ok now...............

Cheers to all Joe
It is expected that the fresh water tank be vented to the exterior of the RV. That allows excess water a way out without messing up the interior of your RV.

Hopefully it is just a matter of a forgotten vent line during the units assembly or just a disconnected vent and not part of the design of the rig.

That excess water can come from using the city fill option common on many RV's or when water sloshes around in the tank while driving.

It is something that needs to be fixed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #19
Bronze Member

I bought my Banff knowing full well the because of the low price, compared to other models, that it was going to be a lower quality budget priced entry RV.
You can’t expect to be approx. $20,000 cheaper and expect the same quality.
It is loaded with features, and does everything I need and expect. Anybody should realize that you get what you pay for.
It’s a bargain price for a bargain RV.
If you expect better, then pay more.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
Gold Member

FYI: If anyone is looking for a cheap Axion, they are now selling the leftover 2017’s for $58,800 with the under her generator and 400 lithium ion battery pack ( that will run the air conditioner for about three hours). There are a few left on RV trader.com, but you have to go back-and-forth with a few emails before they were finally let it go at that price, which believe it or not they are still making money on because Hymer is subsidizing what is left over on dealer lots. For $58,000, it is a good deal. But I would highly recommend running through every single item in the van before driving away. Turn on and make sure every single thing works. One weird quirk about this van: The Waterfill is in the driver side door jam. Literally in the doorjamb. You have to open up the driver side door and put the fill hose in a little hole that is about as high as the head rest. The tank sits vertically right behind the driver seat. If you are a tall person, you will not be able to put the seat back very far, FYI. It’s a very awkward place to put the tank. I’m not sure why they couldn’t find a place underneath to put such a shallow tank, but yes, it is squeeze between the couch in the back of the driver seat and is about as tall as the shoulder of the back of the seat. It also makes a very cumbersome to try and swivel that chair around, which you will not be able to do all the way because of the tank’s location. It’s very weird, but a small price to pay for such, well, a small price, LOL. Most everything else about the Axion is pretty good. It’s also a very good floor plan. Just make sure you check every single thing before you drive off the lot.