Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Carado Banff

Ok guys,

I’m thinking of getting a Carado Banff since it looks like it may be a steal soon. Yes I am aware of quality issues, and yes I am aware of everything concerning Hymer which may make the warrantee pretty much useless.

A little background first : This will be my first RV, I will not be living in it full-time but instead I will be a weekend warrior for at least several more years until my fiancé’s daughter moves out of the house and he can join me on more extended trips.

I was actually planning on getting an RV six years ago to full time in, but I came across a 100 year old Victorian house for $10,000. I have spent the last six years renovating this house, where I completely gutted the kitchen, installed all new electrical since it was outdated and not up to code, and installed completely new pipes for incoming water and even replaced all of the sewer pipe.

My point in telling you my life story is so you all have an idea of my skill level. Carpentry work isn’t my best, but I can certainly make do if it’s something as simple as installing cabinetry. Plumbing is a piece of cake, and electrical work scares the bejeesus out of me. However, my brother is an electrician, my mom is a mechanic, and my dad owned a construction company. While I have plenty of people to assist me with any problems that arise, not a single one of us has any idea about the particular systems on an RV.

The reason I am thinking about the Carado Banff is because it has the exact layout that I want and I’m not paying for overpriced interior furnishings like granite countertops which I do not want or need. I used to have a very old Dodge grand Caravan so I’m pretty familiar with a Dodge engine. However, mechanical work is my least favorite activity so I really want something with a brand new engine. That is why I am considering this particular model even though I am anticipating having to work on plumbing and electrical systems myself. I do NOT want to buy used with my first RV and deal with an older engine. I know many of you would probably suggest that I look for used, so I’m just putting that out there that this is not an option for me. Also, it probably sounds like I should do my own mods to an existing van, but I do work a lot of hours and I really don’t have time for that kind of project. I do feel like I’ll have time to fix different issues as they arise, however.

Someone posted earlier today that there is an RV dealership in Florida which can get the parts for the Ekotrek from the vendor since it’s not actually proprietary for Hymer. ThIs is actually the dealership I was considering going to since it’s the closest one with the Carados. I’ve also seen some positive reviews of them in this forum. So, that’s good news.

My questions are :
1. What system issues have Carado owners had with their vans?
2. Is the chassis warranty covered by Dodge since it’s on the Dodge Promaster chassis, or is that Hymer as well since they’ve modified the engine with Ecotrek? This may sound like a stupid question but I really have no idea exactly how that works.
3. How easy is it to access different electrical and plumbing systems in this particular model? I’m a female at 5’1” so I have small hands to get into tight places, but don’t have the best hand strength.
4. With an MSRP of $86,000 for the fully loaded vans I want, what is a good deal considering warranty issues? Before the Hymer news, I was thinking of offering $55,000 (35% off MSRP) with the goal of getting them to $60,000 (30% off). In light of recent news, I’m now thinking I should offer much lower but I’m not sure how much to take off for the warranty. Any suggestions or if you feel comfortable telling me how much you paid I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for potential problems that I may not have considered or have overlooked, I appreciate your advice on that as well.
TinyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Team

The chassis warranty will be Dodge, excepting only the RT mods. Aftermarket modifications have no effect on the basic OEM warranty, unless those mods actually CAUSE the issue.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You better get on the net and search dealerships. Many are lowering their prices to 40% off and they are selling quckly!!

Go for it... you've got the skills and/or back up skills.

The parts will be out there. And ex-Roadtrek people are out there offering help in parts searches if needed.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thanks Avanti. The Dodge warranty is the one I really want. Feeling much better about this purchase now.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks mumkin! I was actually thinking about getting one in the summer because I need a few months to get the down payment together, so hopefully I will be able to find one still.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I think Mumkin is right. Find the money somehow. I’d be really surprised if there is a new one to be found come summer. OTOH, if you really can’t find the money and even though you said no to used, by summer there may be owners without your skills panicking and trying to dump their practically new units before something happens they can’t fix.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTink View Post
Thanks mumkin! I was actually thinking about getting one in the summer because I need a few months to get the down payment together, so hopefully I will be able to find one still.
They will very likely all be gone by then and you would be in the position of having to wait for a used one to show up. And there are not that many of them out there. I noticed yesterday that there are a few of them in the inventory of Sunshine State RVs in Florida. They are not posting prices, but if I were you and seriously interested, I would call Nick there and ask his advice. He is one of a handful of salesman that I have a great deal of trust in...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote