Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Cargo Carrier

Does anyone know of a hitch mounted cargo carrier that fits with the rear mounted tire on a 2005 RoadTrek 210 Versatile? Perhaps one that only covers the right rear side?
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have an extension on mine to clear the spare.

both carrier ( bought used) and extension cheap from harbor freight

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Gold Member

I have an extension like mkguitar... I couldn't find anything that would clear it.
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

there are extensions which "gooseneck"

or those which have a 2nd tube welded to the extension

these can be used to make sure the doors clear the carrier when parked and the stuff is out of it

kinda like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-h...der-69881.html

Mike
Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Who knew there was such a thing as an extender...? thanks guys.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Who knew there was such a thing as an extender...? thanks guys.
I use a double extender on a swing hitch that allows me to swing hitch loads out of the way (sideways) to access the rear doors - works well.

On teh double extender I carry a bike rack (just one hybrid bike) and also a lightweight aluminum cargo rack together with a heavy weight zipper carggo back to carry things such as extra30 am extension cords, extra hose, lynx levellers and other odds & ends - even extra boots etc to keep clutter out of the van.

Used this setup now for nearly two years and it has worked well for us.

Initially I thought we would need to take the traclsoff teh van at destination in order to use the van for local driving, but so far I have never needed to take it off!
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Years ago I bought something like this at Walmart:

https://www.amazon.com/Highland-1042...0024854&sr=8-1

It will not fit on a Roadtrek with the continental spare tire kit. I bought it to modify it and I moved the square tonque that goes into the receiver on the RT so that it was off center and allowed the spare tire to function. I altered the carrier so that it was considerably shorter than the original unmodified 60 inches, down to about 42 inches as I recall. Then, I went to Tractor Supply and bought some square tubing and made a second tongue on the right side of the carrier and using a slightly larger square tube which I drilled and attached to the chassis of the RT, I ended up with a cargo carrier that worked fine on the 210 P RT. In summary, a shorter carrier with two tongues.

Now, that is a significant amount of modification but if you have the tools it is not really that difficult. I only packed pretty light weight stuff back there including a screen house, a tent and some misc. equipment for extended stay camping. It worked perfectly for many years until I finally got rid of it because we were camping less and touring more. I probably had a total of a hundred bucks or less in the whole shebang and just got to the point where we did not use it.

By the way, I always secured everything double with a couple of ratchet nylon tie downs. The fact that it was off center for the main tube was not a problem because of the second tube. One advantage was that with the two tongues it didn't rattle or shift around at all. Just took some bolts, a couple of tubes from Tractor Supply, a little ingenuity and a good metal drilling bit or two. Since it was low to the doors, I had adequate clearance for what I was carrying and could lower the spare tire, open the left door and the right door would open just fine as well.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #8
Bronze Member

We bought the cargo carrier at Harbor Freight, the aluminum one. Sawed off the rails, etc., so when reassembled it cleared the tire carrier. Have traveled many miles with it, loaded down.
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does anyone know of a hitch mounted cargo carrier that fits with the rear mounted tire on a 2005 RoadTrek 210 Versatile? Perhaps one that only covers the right rear side?
My 2004 Pleasure Way has a very similar back tire, I have a Hitch Haul on the back when I go between Texas and Maine...or just need some more room when camping...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I have a 2005 Roadtrek 190P with StowAway II Max w Swing Away Arm. I have an extension that makes it fit with Continental Tire on back.
I don't use them anymore and want to sell them.
New Bern, NC
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldbob View Post
We bought the cargo carrier at Harbor Freight, the aluminum one. Sawed off the rails, etc., so when reassembled it cleared the tire carrier. Have traveled many miles with it, loaded down.

I tried similar, but found the rack became less stable. riveted it back together added corner brackets ( the plastic corner blocks area weak point)

and am using extension to get past the spare...use same extension with the dirt bike carrier as well

mike
Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #12

I have the Stowaway II on a 97 Pleasureway and love it. The wife and I are avid flyfisher we are able to store 2 pontoon boats and a lot of gear in the "pod". Bonus is it locks. Not cheap but well worth it to carry expensive items under lock and key.
Don Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:07 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Don: Also a 97PW owner, could you post some pics or send them to me via private message? Thx.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:38 AM   #14

I can send via email or text. Need your info.
Don Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kohler View Post
I can send via email or text. Need your info.
Don
I haven't been able to send photo on this forum.
Send me an email and I'll send photos and description
Bill
southridge72@gmail.com
Old 05-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Don, I considered the option of a Stowaway II but decided against it because the hitch extender required to get beyond the continental spare was about 12 inches as I recall. Then, with the Stowaway width, you add almost another two feet of length to your B.

Did this cause you any concerns in going this way? Do you use hitch tighteners to keep the extension/carrier from maxing out lateral swing?

mkguitar, I considered an aluminum carrier to modify but went with the all steel one because I feared for the stability of the aluminum after I cut it. It was a lot more work and effort to modify the steel, but my addition of an extra carrier tube really made it a completely stable end product but it was heavy and awkward to put in the twin receivers.

We have had three Cs over the years and have concluded a small C just works better for us for long term camping in the same spot, but we have no trouble boondocking using our B for several days without moving.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
Don
I haven't been able to send photo on this forum.
Send me an email and I'll send photos and description
Bill
southridge72@gmail.com
If you click on “Go Advanced”, you have the option of clicking on the ‘paper clip’ icon and attaching it from your photo folder...that’s then only way I know how to do it...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #18
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sure, you can make, create, produce whatever that goes Just Like You Want It around your spare tire, and then swing it away and open the back doors! I have it: a Stowaway II frame. On top of it I mounted platform with a 35mph ebike. The handlebars are over the spare tire (05 190P). It is pretty snug up against the back bummper. Rather that an ebike, just create a storage container around the tire.

Bud

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:01 AM   #19
Bronze Member

There are extension hitch that allows and bike carrier with the Stowaway2 Cargo Box
Old 05-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I think something like this could be adapted without an extension. Just have to talk to them and see what they could do for you. You will have to leave your wallet! All you want is the swingaway for one side. I bet they could fix you right up.

https://westcottdesigns.net/product/...er-work-table/

Looks like they will build anything you want. Phone number looks like Phoenix, Arizona. I can’t get an address out of the website.

It is Phoenix.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote