Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Carport for class B

Has anyone built or installed a free-standing carport for their van? We live in the woods, and limbs fall any time there is a storm. The last one took off a $600 side view mirror and damaged the windshield pillar. I'd like to build something that could prevent a limb (say 5" diameter, 6 feet long) from damaging the van. I don't mind if the carport is damaged as long as it can be easily repaired and it protects the van. If you have installed a commercially available carport, or have plans for one I could have a contractor build, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. I'm not looking for a full garage, in fact, no sides, just posts would be best.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Has anyone built or installed a free-standing carport for their van? We live in the woods, and limbs fall any time there is a storm. The last one took off a $600 side view mirror and damaged the windshield pillar. I'd like to build something that could prevent a limb (say 5" diameter, 6 feet long) from damaging the van. I don't mind if the carport is damaged as long as it can be easily repaired and it protects the van. If you have installed a commercially available carport, or have plans for one I could have a contractor build, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. I'm not looking for a full garage, in fact, no sides, just posts would be best.

I think if you are looking for that kind of impact strength and will have snow load besides, you may want to put in posts, like a pole barn would be, and use roof trusses made for a 10 or 12 foot wide garden shed. Putting the trusses, which are relatively inexpensive on 16" centers will make a very sturdy roof with 1/2" OSB and metal roofing. It would be very easy to build that way, with the hardest part likely to by the post burying.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:37 AM   #3
Platinum Member

James Adinaro of the FitRV blog built and engineered their own Class B van carport. He has a series of posts about the whole design and construction process.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/bui...e-in-paradise/

https://www.thefitrv.com/blog/as-the-rv-carport-turns/

https://www.thefitrv.com/blog/we-fin...he-rv-carport/

It took awhile but the final result is quite impressive. Looks like it was engineered and built to withstand quite an earthquake, snow load, or falling object hit.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
James Adinaro of the FitRV blog built and engineered their own Class B van carport. He has a series of posts about the whole design and construction process.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/bui...e-in-paradise/

https://www.thefitrv.com/blog/as-the-rv-carport-turns/

https://www.thefitrv.com/blog/we-fin...he-rv-carport/

It took awhile but the final result is quite impressive. Looks like it was engineered and built to withstand quite an earthquake, snow load, or falling object hit.

As he learned, a single slope roof without full wall or crossbracing in the slope direction will try to tip over with roof loading, thus the flying buttresses he needed to add. If you don't have issues with roof runoff water, a gable roof with a 5+ pitch will give much better results. and if allowed poles buried deep make it even better. A metal roof will actually slide the snow off, so there will be very little load anyway, just make sure it doesn't dump it on a sidewalk or such.

If you have them in the area, any company that does pole buildings would be able to provide anything you need as long as they meet code where you are putting it up. If you are rural, carport type stuff often doesn't even require a permit in a lot of places.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:08 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Depending on what your budget is, look into Carolina Carports. Pay the small upgrade for the heavier steel, then the grooves goes the right direction to shed snow, and it just looks better. Also pay for the extra bracing and ground anchors to upgrade to certified, for better wind and snow load. You pay for how high you want the side walls. I got an 18'X21' with 8' walls but plenty of room in the center for my B if I wanted to park under it (I use it for enclosed trailer parking). I paid to have two walls that don't show and sided the side that shows with wood to match the house. Installed (not counting the wood wall) was a little over $3000. I asked my insurance man and he said if it was attached to the ground I was covered for up to 10% of my house insurance. Plus CC has a guarantee. You can build as little or as much as you want up to a fully enclosed garage.

I bought through a local dealer, they just make sure you get what you want because there are lots of options. CC has a crew that come in to actually build it. Took 3 guys about 3 hours to build mine. It has been up for about a year in the woods, and I have been happy with it.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:47 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post
Depending on what your budget is, look into Carolina Carports.
Yeah.. What JebTN said... We did the same thing...
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
...The last one took off a $600 side view mirror...
Wow! That's one heckuva mirror!
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #8
Platinum Member

If the RV in the port will be exposed to the sun, you may want to add a wall or a partial wall, on that side to protect the tires and paint.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote