Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #1

Default Carrier or driven from factory to dealer?

Is it typical that a new class B (Thor Sequence) is being driven from the factory in Indiana to Florida for delivery (to me) ? I would have thought a transport carrier would be used.
fx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would not stand for that.

Most manufacturers engine break-in procedures specifically state to avoid speed higher than 55 or so, and avoid continuous speeds for prolonged periods.

You might want to check that out.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Could be a height issue. What is the height of the Thor?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #4

9'5" height.
fx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx24 View Post
Is it typical that a new class B (Thor Sequence) is being driven from the factory in Indiana to Florida for delivery (to me) ? I would have thought a transport carrier would be used.
The new ones I've seen nearby and the one I bought had/have 650 miles on them. That's just about how far it is to Indiana. I checked a couple new ones a dealerships in Arizona and they have 1600 miles on the odometer.
@Michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Our 2019 Pleasure Way came by carrier from the factory in Saskatoon to the dealer in London Ontario, 2600km distance. It had 57km on it when we picked it up.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Very common for them to drive them to the dealer, I know Roadtrek did and towed a car behind a lot of the time, I was told. I have heard that some manufacturers give the option of having it shipped, but I think it has to go on a flatbed, so pretty expensive, I would think.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I frequently see RV's being transported by drivers- i have seen them towing a car ( for the rtn), I have seen them being used to also tow a boat or trailer for delivery

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Ours was driven from the factory to Everett, WA, so it had about 1900 miles on it when we bought it. Totally normal.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:34 AM   #10
Platinum Member

That is probably normal procedure for the dealers but there is no chance I would buy an expensive brand new Class B and then have them break it in driving across the country as fast as possible towing a car. I would fly there and drive it home myself before that would happen.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 AM   #11
Silver Member

When i bought my Coachmen Crossfit I had a choice of regular driver delivery or having it transported on a flatbed for an extra charge. After touring the factory in Indiana and witnessing transport drivers of all makes and models flying past me on the interstate with some towing cars it was an easy decision to have it put on a flatbed for delivery.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 AM   #12
Platinum Member

My current RV from ARV had about 30 miles on it and that was from driving back and forth from their cabinetry shop to the main shop at the time. It had to be delivered on a carrier.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I have had 4 rigs and all of them were driven from the factory. GWV called me when my rig was ready and asked if I would like it driven down as they also needed to come to my town as it was where they got their Sprinter platforms. (Both GWV and Pleasureway got their Sprinters in ND) Since this saved me a trip to my MN dealer to get it, I said fine. Nothing towed.

My second from LTV was driven to the dealer... by the dealer. They called me and asked permission and yes, they towed a small car back. The car was well under the weight for a Chevy 3500 and they promised not to speed. LOL It was Dale, the owner of Lake Region, who I trusted to keep his word though we joked that he never went over 95 mph and it towed his '64 Cadillac Coupe DeVille easily. (which probably would have weighed as much as my Libero... )

Both Roadtreks were driven from Kitchner to MN by factory drivers. Being RT, of course, I had no say. They trucked if they had 2 or 3 rigs to deliver... or long distances like TX or CA, but one rig to the closer dealership were driven. Neither towed anything and the driver flew back.

Because of my long time relationship with my dealer, I had zero concerns about this... now if I was buying from a dealer that I hadn't known for many years, that would be different. As they say, YMMV...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:16 AM   #14
Platinum Member

The 2013 Roadtrek RS Adventurous I bought new only had a few miles on it when I bought it here in California. The 2020 Revel I bought last fall had almost 2k miles on it. So it seems that it depends on how the factory wants to deal with shipping.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
The 2013 Roadtrek RS Adventurous I bought new only had a few miles on it when I bought it here in California. The 2020 Revel I bought last fall had almost 2k miles on it. So it seems that it depends on how the factory wants to deal with shipping.
I'm wondering if dealers decide how they want to get the unit to their lot. I'm thinking that could vary not only among different dealers, but even at the same dealer depending on their financial situation, number if units ordered, and the timing and availability of flatbeds and delivery drivers.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm wondering if dealers decide how they want to get the unit to their lot. I'm thinking that could vary not only among different dealers, but even at the same dealer depending on their financial situation, number if units ordered, and the timing and availability of flatbeds and delivery drivers.
In early 2007 the nearest Roadtrek dealer to me quoted a price and would order one. I turned him down. He called back the next day and lowered the price and would buy 2 and they would be 'shipped' not driven like just the one. Baton Rouge, Louisiana dealer.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
In early 2007 the nearest Roadtrek dealer to me quoted a price and would order one. I turned him down. He called back the next day and lowered the price and would buy 2 and they would be 'shipped' not driven like just the one. Baton Rouge, Louisiana dealer.
Did you raise the issue of shipping method, or did they offer it as a deal sweetener?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Did you raise the issue of shipping method, or did they offer it as a deal sweetener?
Offered by the dealer.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #19
Platinum Member

The idea that it changes with two being delivered makes total sense, I think.

If you deliver two with drivers you need either two tow cars or two airfares home, you also have multiple days of two wages. If it comes on a flatbed with two on it, you have virtually no wages or airfares as it will be handled by a transport company who will likely find a return load. It would take a quite a bit of truck to do, probably a semi tractor and a 45' flatbed. Hauling 20,000+ pounds plus probably another 10,000 pounds of flatbed is not child's play and needs real trucks and experience, I think.

The dollars probably cross over pretty plainly between one at a time vs 1/2 the cost of two on a flatbed.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #20
Platinum Member

40,000 pounds for 2 Class B’s?