Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #1

Default Carrying and using extra propane

Has anyone used a trailer hitch cargo carrier to take along extra propane? I'm looking at a 29 gallon/100lbs horizontal RV tank to ride in a 500lbs capacity receiver hitch cargo carrier. I then wonder how difficult it would be to then hook up this tank to use in a Class B Pleasureway Plateau RV propane system, either to charge the internal 12 gallon propane tank, or to supply auxillary fuel to the existing system.

Any other ideas for increasing propane capacity for extended stays without services?
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Default Re: Carrying and using extra propane

I found my old inquiry about using a separate propane tank and the response regarding the Extend-A-Stay Propane Kit. So I'm still interested in the propriety of carrying a propane tank in a hitch cargo carrier at the rear of a Class B.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I saw this photo:
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/attac ... 1313791801
(it is only temporary for filling )
----------------------------------------------
Maybe something like this:
http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml
with the spare tire in front for a little bit of protection - scroll down to see the optional Utility /Gas Can Rack
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Bronze Member

How long is your extended stay, a year?.........100lbs seems like a heck of a lot of extra propane to want to carry around. Just me, but I would think a smaller (20lb) tank would be more than sufficient in a pinch.
That said, carrying any extra tank, inside or outside is a risk. My old 77 Dodge had a 20 lb tank mounted on an extended bumper. I didnt like that idea, so I got rid of it. Not sure how legal that was either.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish
I found my old inquiry about using a separate propane tank and the response regarding the Extend-A-Stay Propane Kit. So I'm still interested in the propriety of carrying a propane tank in a hitch cargo carrier at the rear of a Class B.
I can't seem to find the threads on this forum where we've discussed the pros and cons, and legalities
of carrying extra propane, but it does depend largely on where you happen to be. There are several
tunnels and bridges in the eastern and northeastern US that do not allow access to vehicles carrying
extra LPG tanks internally or externally to pass, if they become aware of them. The laws are not
consistent from place to place, and there are several discussions on here that reference carrying
extra propane, age of the tanks, and some other dos and don'ts. It's also been discussed on just
about every other RV discussion forum site on the web, so searching those might help, too.
If I find any, I'll add links.

Here's a few to start......
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=194&p=269&hilit=propane+asme# p269
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1386&p=5582&hilit=propane+tunn el#p5582
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1790&p=8461&hilit=propane+asme #p8461
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1044&hilit=propane+asme
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1223&hilit=propane+asme
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1828&p=8637&hilit=propane+safe ty#p8637
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=620&hilit=propane+safety
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

How long does your propane last? I just got the Falcon and looked at the propane tank. It appears to be 8.3 lbs. I am wondering what kind of use I will get. It has furnace, water heater, fridge and the stove, which may be used for coffee making but not much else. Thoughts?
benfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

my 2002 has a 45lb. tank. we don't use the water heater or cooktop much at all, but do use the
furnace sometimes set to trigger at around 50F during the night when in the mountains, and
have started using the fridge on propane on occasion. i filled it in 2008 when we bought it, and
have topped it up twice before Fall trips, in case we need the furnace. maybe my total propane
costs over 4 years has been around $50? i think a 20 lb. BBQ tank would have been enough.
markopolo and some others have used their propane systems more extensively, and may be
able to comment.