Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #181
Platinum Member

Off topic but looking forward to seeing more pictures of your new build Davydd when you get it.

I am a cassette guy since dump sites are very scarce in my area. That is what works for us now.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #182
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I largely agree with Avanti. That travel scenario points to a cassette or a composting toilet or urine segregators coupled with a whole lotta wag bags or something along those lines.

125 gallons of fresh water? That's over a thousand pounds. What Class B build can carry that much and not exceed GVWR?

I'm not saying it cannot be done - it certainly could in a DIY build, but I'm unaware of any commercial models built like that.
We recently sold our Class B Roadtrek and have been traveling full time in a larger RV for the last few years. Somewhat larger than a Class B with a GVWR of 33,000 lb but we are only at about 28,000 lb. No problem carrying 120 gal of water and 200 gallons of diesel fuel. Diesel heat and hot water. 1000 watts of solar and 720 AH of lithium. Induction cooktop and countertop oven. Designed to go anywhere.

https://www.globalxvehicles.com/pata...o-gallery.html

I just hang around here to defend the use of cassette toilets...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #183
Platinum Member

Is that what they call a B plus, plus 😎
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:07 PM   #184
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We went on an 11 week trip up the Alaska Highway, all over Alaska and back via Chicken, AK and the On Top of the World Highway in the Yukon and down the Cassiar Highway in BC which was much more remote than the Alaskan Highway. We never had problems with finding dump stations and that was with our GWVan with less capacity tanks.

They say when you go to Alaska you drive on the top half of your tank and always fill up when it gets halfway down. I didn't find that really necessary but practiced it anyway on the Alaskan Highway. You might want to extend that practice with F, G, and B tanks in more remote areas or take advantage of it when opportunity presents.
Glad you had a good trip and you actually travelled on roads that are used all the time by regular RVs on a daily basis and stayed close to civilization. What you have works for your style of travel and that is great but that is not the type of travel we do.

When we go up there we arrive in Alaska around the 1st of May and leave in October and we usually get some snow by then. We also use the Cassiar most times on the way up and way back since it is more remote and that is what we like but it is still well traveled by RVs. A few of the places we go that are more remote and not close to dump stations include:

Dempster Highway in the Yukon and NWT up to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean taking a few weeks to make the trip, boondocking along the way at various spots along the way.

Dalton Highway in Alaska up to Deadhorse. You cannot actually drive to Prudhoe Bay due to the oil fields but you can take a shuttle van up to water to get there for $70. Nice trip up and back, we go slow and take awhile to do it. Usually see some Musk Ox along the road.

Denali Highway across the state which has great views of the Alaska Range. We take awhile to do this boondocking along the highway. There are a couple established BLM campgrounds but no dump stations.

Skilak Lake in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge has a campground that we stay at for a couple weeks at a time. No dump station. Last time we were there we were evacuated a few hours before a wildfire engulfed the campground when the wind shifted.

McCarthy Road to the Kennecott Mine site. This is a pretty well traveled road but it is rough and most people don’t go in their RVs.

In all these cases and similar ones we are away from dump stations for extended periods and find that a cassette is the best solution for us in these circumstances.

In terms of fuel, we can carry 200 gallons of diesel fuel and usually fill up the tanks when we can get a good price (always fill up before entering Canada). We only get 8 mpg or so which means we have a range of over 1400 miles with a reasonable reserve and use of diesel for heat and hot water.

As one would expect, the best solution for one owner may not be the best solution for every owner. Not sure why someone might think otherwise...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #185
Platinum Member

[/Quote]According to one of their videos, the Embassy RV guys (who keep trying to innovate with various exotic toilets) apparently attempted to modify a standard cassette toilet by adding a macerator that would empty the tank in place. I don't think it worked out, and doesn't make much sense anyway. They appear to have been trying to reinvent the macerating toilet.[/QUOTE]

What? Trying to innovate?

How dare them!
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #186
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
According to one of their videos, the Embassy RV guys (who keep trying to innovate with various exotic toilets) apparently attempted to modify a standard cassette toilet by adding a macerator that would empty the tank in place. I don't think it worked out, and doesn't make much sense anyway. They appear to have been trying to reinvent the macerating toilet.

How dare them!
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #187
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post

How dare them!
Oh, I am all for it.
My point was that I can't see how what they were trying differed from a conventional macerator toilet, so I'm not sure it counts as innovation.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote