Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default CDN SnowBirds in US - policy changes

Big changes regarding a return home as hinted at last week, coming into force next week

Required quarantine at own expense

Intl flights to only arrive at YVR, YYZ, YYC, YUL

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...deau-says.html
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Big changes regarding a return home as hinted at last week, coming into force next week

Required quarantine at own expense

Intl flights to only arrive at YVR, YYZ, YYC, YUL

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...deau-says.html
I read Canadian currency can no longer be accepted as legal tender? Is this true. Currency can only be deposited into bank accounts and receive credit? Only credit/debit cards allowed at this time? Anyone know/heard about this yet?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

One of the lady medical techs that works at the VA hospital in Buffalo NY is a Canadian resident and can not cross the border to go home. That was a week ago Sunday when I got my Covid vaccine shot. She is staying with a friend in Buffalo until the border opens up.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...s.html#arrival
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I read Canadian currency can no longer be accepted as legal tender? Is this true. Currency can only be deposited into bank accounts and receive credit? Only credit/debit cards allowed at this time? Anyone know/heard about this yet?
Must have read that on the internet.
Stores and businesses prefer credit cards or debit but our cash is still good.
It’s still useless in the US though.
Gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
One of the lady medical techs that works at the VA hospital in Buffalo NY is a Canadian resident

A citizen can cross no question ( Constitutional right), a resident permit holder may also cross ( especially essential workers)

But yes, she'd be subject to quarantine if she crosses- which gets complicated

Buffalo VA- one of my dear Pals passed in 2019.
The VA system and Buffalo in particular did wonderous work to combat his Agent Orange related cancers. They never gave up, they gave him the best of care and spared no effort or expense.

Mike
Old 01-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimblerotor View Post
useless in the US though.
Ha! funny.

I'm a dual and in normal times cross frequently

I use cash infrequently..I still have some 1 and 2 dollar bills!

Welcome to the Forums

Mike
Old 01-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Buffalo VA- one of my dear Pals passed in 2019.
The VA system and Buffalo in particular did wonderous work to combat his Agent Orange related cancers. They never gave up, they gave him the best of care and spared no effort or expense.

Mike
Mike, sad to hear about you pal!!! They saved my life. Actually caught stage two lung cancer and was able to remove the left lung lobe to remove two different types of lung cancer. They have a wonderful oncology dept. And I have no complaints with the rest of the hospital!!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet otherwise you would currently have a different President in the US right now. Nurses are essential workers if working in US and living in Canada and exempt from quarantine rules if working for US hospital or facility just like truck drivers bringing goods across the border. However a nurse cannot ‘visit’ the US hospital as then they would be subject to quarantine upon return to Canada.

New rules are still very vague on snowbirds returning to Canada across land borders in their vehicles/motorhomes. You currently have to quarantine for 14 days at your Canadian home and cannot leave for any reason except a medical emergency.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #9

Default more restrictions

With the land border between the two countries closed to non essential travel since last spring, most snowbirds who are in the US flew in late in the fall. When they return to Canada in late spring this year, they will need to have a negative Covid test 3 days before boarding their flight, will be tested again upon arrival at one of 4 main airports in Canada, and will then need to spend 3 days at a government controlled quarantine centre, at a cost of $4000 per couple. If test is negative, they can proceed to their own home for a further 14 day quarantine. If for some reason the test is positive, they will then be quarantined for 14 days at a government control centre. I would like to have shares in the $4000 facilities 😉🍾
btripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Snowbirds returning to Canada

For Snowbirds returning to Canada by the ‘land borders’ via car or motorhome, land border travellers currently don't face a hotel quarantine, however the government could impose harsher rules at any time though. There is a Covid 72-hour pre-arrival testing requirement (molecular test) for travellers seeking entry in land mode. To ensure travellers’ awareness and compliance with 14 day quarantine requirements, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is working with security companies to help complete compliance checks for travellers arriving in Canada. Employees of these companies are trained by PHAC and authorized as Screening Officers under the Quarantine Act. These Screening Officers will visit travellers’ quarantine locations to establish contact, confirm identity and confirm that travellers are at the place of quarantine they identified upon entry into Canada.
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote