Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #1

Default Chassis Reliability?

Of the 4 main chassis (Chevy, MB Sprinter, Dodge Promaster and Ford Transit), is one generally considered more reliable or unreliable then the others. I've read around a bit, and just about when I figured it out some new horror story comes my way, and they all seem to have horror stories.

I know the rule of thumb is that MB is more expensive upkeep, and fewer repair spots, but then I just recently read not every Dodge or Ford dealer/repair spot can deal with the vans.

And as far comfort, in terms of ride quality, is it MB & Ford > (as in better) Chevy & Dodge. Although I've driven both a Promaster (21') and Sprinter (24') Class B, and both had pretty rough rides (albeit over a lousy road). I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe after market suspension upgrades are desirable, no matter the model.

Just trying sap everyone's experience.
RVNoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I forget - what years are you looking at? Information regarding comfort and reliability will depend on the model years ...
Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #3

Contemporary models. Used market for Class B seems pretty thin.
RVNoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You have to dig hard to find any issues with any of them.

Probably the most you'll find online is emissions issues with Mercedes from a few years back. Most people gripe more about the servicing cost on Sprinter than any issues on reliability.

Ford, Chevy and Promaster are essentially bulletproof in the gas configurations. Promaster deisel has been problematic, but isn't offered any longer from Winnebago.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Agree with Wincrasher. The Mercedes diesel issue is the EGR, but if you budget to get it cleaned with every oil change, you are unlikely to ever be stranded. I believe all modern diesels are like that. Our 1996 Ford diesel is bulletproof, but that changed with the new emissions requirements in 2007.

There are several Ford dealers in my general area and it's true that not all can take the 350 HD but I don't know if it's a height, weight or dually issue. Our area is population-dense so garages are quite small. However, that's only a problem if it has to go up on the rack. I assume it's the same for Chevy and Dodge.

We chose the Ford because 1. we wanted gas (you can buy a lot of gas for the extra cost of a diesel and you can always find gas no matter where you are) and 2. DH didn't think the Dodge seats were comfortable. Reliability is probably about the same.