Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Check out this very cool van Airstream Interstate Grand Tour

I was surprised I like this van so much. Airstream Interstate Grand Tour.

Watching this video, it has alot of very nice features. The layout is similar to ARV's. This lists for $156k, but probably will sell for 10-15% off that number.

I like the screen doors, the fridge, the driver's area table, the drawer microwave, and the rear underfloor storage. Modest solar, modest inverter, propane generator. Atwood water heater (no anode), propane heater. Lots of storage. Glossy cabinets, aluminum framed. Pass thru storage in rear.

[youtube:7cg2ghlw]W9RGV6nybRo[/youtube:7cg2ghlw]
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Check out this very cool van

IMHO it needs to have more than 100 watts of solar.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter 3500 Long & Tall
Old 02-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I suspect the design assumption is to run the fridge and top off the batteries (trickle). If that is the case, then probably OK.
If you are on the move, that alternator should charge that small 2 battery bank fairly quickly.

I am curious about if that microwave can run off the inverter - a 1000 watt inverter is not very big. And with two group 24's, won't run it very long. I'd like to see that battery compartment and if two Group 31's or two 6 volts would fit in there.

I suspect the TV's are native 12 volt, but the blu-ray is off the inverter.

Big propane tank though - 18 gallons. That'd do nicely.

To some, this could be adequate for a week of boondocking. For others it may come up short.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Location: NE Mississippi Prairie Country & Georgia (don't try it)

Thanks a lot for this one, win! I never get enough of this stuff. I paused it when he got to the mirrors to post... This old boy is doing a thorough job so far, and has answered some questions I had, especially about that macerator mess pump thingamajig. I like that rinse out inlet. Ok, going to watch the rest... be right back. He showed us the engine compartment!! Yes! First time I've seen that. Thanks old New Jersey boy (I talk like that to everybody, no offense). Tank heaters - yes!

Ok, I just finished! This old boy did the best job of any video I've ever seen. He even explained the toilet paper holder, hand brake, he didn't miss a thing! I'm liking this one a lot! Now, to find a place to sell me house, cars, trucks, and probably a kidney and hind leg so I might could make a down payment...
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #5
Platinum Member

That's Patrick Botticelli in the video. He and his wife are part of the sales staff at Colonial Airstream. His videos are all informative.
In response to winchaser's question - the 1000 watt inverter will not run the microwave. It is only used to power the TVs in my Interstate. Not sure how the Grand Tour model in the video is configured. I added a inverter powered outlet near the galley in my van to use for a slow cooker and a 600 watt K-cup coffee maker or small express coffee maker.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I attended the St Louis rv show last weekend and had a chance to see the airstream gran tour. They had a price posted in the windshield of $137,000 . I am not interested in the rv but it is a very nice unit. I don't know if this is their bottom price or not. Also was impressed by the shades for the front and side windows of the cab. Jim
Tenbike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Show prices can be a mixed bag - sometimes they are higher than you could do negotiating, sometimes they are quite the bargain.

15% discount would put this van around $132k.

This was probably the most thorough review video I've ever seen for a B van. Peter really outdid himself considering what videos they usually put up for their trailers and vans. Mostly it's a montage of still pics and trendy music. I liked how he did this, but I'd like to see some views underneath and a look at the battery bay, as well as a shot of what's on the roof.

Colonial has an excellent reputation in the Airstream community. If I were to buy one, I'd definitely get it from them.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Re: Check out this very cool van Airstream Interstate Grand

I'm only 1/3rd the way through the video Wincrasher poster! Remote control rear screen! - lots of features on this van.

Here's another video review of the Airstream Interstate Grand Tour this time by Chris Travels:

[youtube:1loelrsq]OgiAIfTl-Z0[/youtube:1loelrsq]

I have to finish watching the first video though!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Patrick from Colonial Airstream review was very thorough.

Soap dispenser.
Clothes line.
Water-proof holder for toilet paper.
Lots of counter space for meal prep. Two people could work together on meal prep.
Electric valves on waste tanks.
Waste tank rinse.
Tank heater.
Component control center hidden so blinking light don't disturb you at night.
USB ports.
Trash container in pull out drawer.
Drawer microwave oven.
Remote control rear door screen.
Sturdy side door screen.
Workstation / desk up front.

It really is loaded.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Chris missed on a few of the specs. I wonder if they are really reviewing RV's or he's just wanting to spend time with his girlfriend.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Chris missed on a few of the specs. I wonder if they are really reviewing RV's or he's just wanting to spend time with his girlfriend.
I don't call their videos "reviews". The ones I've seen are just a girl walking around them giving out her opinions and a lot of wrong facts.

That's not a review in my eyes....I quit watching them

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #12
Platinum Member

BTW - I priced the drawer microwave as a possible upgrade for my Interstate = $1,200!

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter 3500 Long & Tall
Old 02-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
Bronze Member

I've read that the air conditioners on Airstreams don't cool good. Man, that won't work where I live! Even my '98 Aeorolite trailer gets plumb cold in July heat.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

They all pretty much use the same airconditioners.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #15

I got to spend some time in a Grand Tour at the Hartford RV show. It is a very, very appealing van. Love the long galley, big frig, and the glossy interior finishes. Also liked all of the storage that's behind and under the rear couch.

Other than the lure of larger Airstreams (we own a 23' trailer now), I haven't coveted a RV so much in a while. Now I just need the lotto to pay off...or wait a while for depreciation to settle in...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGene
Thanks a lot for this one, win! I never get enough of this stuff. I paused it when he got to the mirrors to post... This old boy is doing a thorough job so far, and has answered some questions I had, especially about that macerator mess pump thingamajig. I like that rinse out inlet. Ok, going to watch the rest... be right back. He showed us the engine compartment!! Yes! First time I've seen that. Thanks old New Jersey boy (I talk like that to everybody, no offense). Tank heaters - yes!

Ok, I just finished! This old boy did the best job of any video I've ever seen. He even explained the toilet paper holder, hand brake, he didn't miss a thing! I'm liking this one a lot! Now, to find a place to sell me house, cars, trucks, and probably a kidney and hind leg so I might could make a down payment...
I agree, GuyGene, this video walkthrough is very well done. Thanks win! And this GT is one of the best layout that Airstream designed so far. Finally the kitchen on the "right" side. I would change the primitive, and probably very noisy, propane heater ( Airstream should go hydronic Alde or Espar at that price tag). Probably add more solar, lithium batteries, but keep the nice exterior detailling, the sliding side screen door, the powered back door screen, the sliding drawer-style microwave oven, the tank heaters, the well designed jacknife seats (that guy flipped the bed in place with one hand, he's good, but the design of the coach is also impressive!) The one thing I would really want in this van is the excellent cabin design and materials used for the Land Yacht theme of the Airstream trailers. The interior of the Grand Tour is still way too bling bling for my taste. I guess for all that, the price tag would then also be Extended!

Land Yacht Airstream trailers

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGene
I've read that the air conditioners on Airstreams don't cool good. Man, that won't work where I live! Even my '98 Aeorolite trailer gets plumb cold in July heat.
Mine cools fine when I need it. All B-vans have about the same AC capacity so the only difference is in insulation. I also cover the windows with Reflectix to reduce the heat gain in intense sunshine.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Air conditioning capacity varies in Sprinters. Most regular body Sprinters are 11,000 BTUs, some but not all extended bodies went to the 13,500 BTUs. Advanced RV puts in 15,000 BTU air conditioners.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 AM   #19
Bronze Member

I wonder why some old boys on the Airstream Class B forum complain so much about a/c not cooling? Like I said, we're on our third travel trailer, and all of them are cool in our Deep South heat and humidity. Flimsy windows too, and I don't need to cover windows or park in shade. My trailer AC is roof mounted forgot brand... Throws out ice cubes! Anyway, y'all check out that other dedicated Airstream Class B forum, you'll see wha' them boys say. I don't see how it could only be Airstreams though. Like they say in Tangyangyika, all in the milk don't look white.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:37 AM   #20
Platinum Member

The Grand Tour has everything that I'd like in a Class B (except for DavyDD's articulating beds, of course). The high-gloss finishes are way too bling for my taste, too. If they could just use the Land Yacht finishes, it would be a classic!
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote