Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Location: NE Mississippi Prairie Country & Georgia (don't try it)
Default Checking out an Airstream Class B...

Well, boys, I have found my dream Class B. I think. It's a 2014 Airstream Interstate 22', but I cannae' find out if it has the dual rear wheels. I really don't need one big enough for dual rear wheels, but it won't be a deal breaker.

Anybody here have the Airstream that can give some pros/cons of this model? Thanks!
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Default Re: Checking out an Airstream Class B...

I have an Airstream Interstate and as far as I understand all 2014 models have dual rear wheels. Mine is a 2014.5 and I researched heavily before and never saw anything different. The 2014.5 is on a 2015 chassis, which has additional safety features versus the 2014. The wheels, I believe, are the same.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes, it will have dual rear wheels.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Duals only on most all Sprinter RV's since 2010 I believe. Exceptions are the short wheelbase, 19' Roadtrek & Pleasureway models. Probably shouldn't say this, but I hope you checked out the other brands. Much, much better value in most of them

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:55 AM   #5
Platinum Member

All Airstream Interstates since 2010 were built on the Sprinter 3500 chassis with dual rear wheels. The first Winnebago ERAs were on the 2500 Sprinters with single rear wheels, but they were overloaded with two people.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 02-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Platinum Member

If you poke around alittle online, you'll only find two areas of complaint about the Interstate. Firstly the price. Secondly reports of a harsh ride in the back. This is most likely attributable to the duals and that Airstream doesn't modify the suspension. I've only read the complaints though, and no solutions. Not a bad record in the grand scheme of things if that's all folks have found fault.

But I'd think the thing to do would be to install an airbag system, or try reducing the air pressure in the rear tires to dampen vibration.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Checking out an Airstream Class B...

The price of the Interstate is on par with a similarly equipped Roadtrek. The Winnebago ERA is a lot less. The harsh ride complaint comes from fact that a lot of Interstate owners use them like an SUV to haul the family. They can be configured to seat 9 in seat belts. The rear suspension is like all other B-vans using the Sprinter 3500 except ARV who install the air suspension.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter 3500 Long & Tall
Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Team

The "harsh ride" issue is not unique to the Interstate. It is common to all rear-bed vans based on the Sprinter 3500 platform. Shoppers should be warned that this is a pretty significant issue for rear passengers. If this matters to you, I'd strongly recommended that before buying, you take a ride in the back while somebody else drives at highway speeds.The only real cure seems to be an expensive airbag system.

Prices speak for themselves--my impression is that you pay a significant premium for the "Airstream" name. I could be wrong, though.

IMO, the biggest issue with the Interstate has to do with shoddy assembly. The designs are great and the materials are good, but Interstates (like all Thor products) are plagued with minor but annoying issues such as sloppy sealant application, leaking vents, improper wiring dress, mis-installed plumbing, etc. This is well-documented on the Sprinter section of the "Air Forums" site. It is really a shame, because they are basically great vans. We loved ours for the 8 years we owned it, but it took a lot of work to get it to the condition it should have been in on delivery. That said, most of the issues can be readily addressed by a competent DIYer. But, if you are dependent on dealer service for that kind of thing, then I would think twice.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I don't know about on-par pricing. They appear to all be in the $150's list - probably $140-145k out the door. There are a few closeouts at Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. There is one that is a 2014 left over that they want less than $132k for - that one may be a bargain.

They do have one neat feature I hadn't noticed before - look at their screen door implementation on this one:
http://www.colonialairstream.com/201...315/index.html

The rear screen door is pretty nifty too. And powered with a remote!

Someone was asking a while back on where to buy a decent door. Try Airstream I guess!

BTW, this is about as close to the ARV layout as one could get in a production van. Interesting. Note the computer desk, the fridge?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Location: NE Mississippi Prairie Country & Georgia (don't try it)

Thanks boys. Just the kind of information I'm looking for. I'm a doer upper, but be danged if I want to be fixing wha' the boys at Airstream plant didn't do right! I found a so called 2014.5 for about $108k, but now I have quality doubts. Oliver, Oliver...
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
BTW, this is about as close to the ARV layout as one could get in a production van. Interesting. Note the computer desk, the fridge?
Not really. The basic ARV floorpan is a near clone of the GWV Legend. ARV had its origin as a spin-off of sorts from GWV. (Davydd disagrees with this characterization, but there is a bit of revisionist history going on, as a thorough web search will reveal.)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGene
Thanks boys. Just the kind of information I'm looking for. I'm a doer upper, but be danged if I want to be fixing wha' the boys at Airstream plant didn't do right! I found a so called 2014.5 for about $108k, but now I have quality doubts. Oliver, Oliver...
Based on multiple discussions on the Sprinter Source RV sections and Roadtrek Facebook group the Interstate is no worse than any other Sprinter based B-van on the market today.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter 3500 Long & Tall