Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 06:47 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
What did you mean by this Mike?

if uncaptured the hydrocarbon vapor released from a gas fill can easily equal a few hundred miles of operation in any car made last 15 years

I could have said "during a gas fill"

the outer collar on the nozzle has a neg pressure to pull hydrocarbon ( HC)vapor ( raw gas) into a recapture system

if not captured, the old "bare nozzle" as seen in many other states allows vapor to atmosphere, which we smell.

hydrocarbons are a major component of photo-chemical smog ( requires sunlight as catalyst) which is experienced as clear nights and smoggy days- like LA in the 80's

cars last 15 years are very good at metering fuel, very rarely do you see a car spewking black out the tailpipe ( black is unburned gas/HC)
or smell gas as we did in the carb days ( pre 1986 in pass vehicles)

and we have better testing

the acceptable tailpipe HC for the old VW ( and Porsche) in california was ...5% !!!!
( the air cooled motors need wider clearances )
same 5% allowed when AZ had emissions testing on motorcycles

and that's why the air cooled and 2 strokes were phased out

other motorcycles are more likely liquid cooled ( or hybrid like H-D head cooling) as controlled temps allow tighter tolerances, more power/less emissions

I sometimes put the trail 90 on a carrier, the heavier Harleys ( or 1974 Z1) nope

ALMOST all my gas fills are at Costco- less expensive and a "top tier" fuel with higher detergent ( like Techron) than most- keeps backs of valves clean

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #22
Platinum Member

A fellow rider!

The Trail 90 is just perfect, enough speed to out run a Bear but not enough to end in a prolonged ER Visit.

I actually own a 2016 Z1000, a machine that reverses & bends Time ...

Its my fault I didn't ask anyone else about this issue 9 years ago, the Roadtrek in urban settings especially places like Gas Stations takes up a bit of room, so much so that on those times I pay cash & then realise its going to take 15-25 minutes to get fill my tank from Empty i just resign myself & pump away - when people ask i just nod & say it has two enormous tanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200223_101525_resized_1.jpg (427.4 KB, 5 views)
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Interesting. I have not noticed anything unusual in my 2014 Chevy Roadtrek. We did fill once in CA (at a Costco IIRC).
Old 07-31-2020, 12:14 AM   #24
Platinum Member

I am satisfied that I am not alone in that Booster & others around our 2004-2007 have the same experience.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #25
Bronze Member

We had the same problem on our 2007 Roadtrek 170 Popular (Chevy Express 2500). It was a painful 20 minutes to fill the gas tank no matter what gas station I tried. Now we have a Promaster and it's much better.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Thank you TheMatrix,

I suffered 9 years thinking that it was me.

It seems the busiest, brightest gas ststions have the most frustrating experiences.

People get pissed until I tell them I have two 50 gallon tanks.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-01-2020, 11:50 PM   #27
Bronze Member

It was so frustrating to fill up our gas tank. I had the EVAP system checked and the mechanic said it was working. Have read many threads about how they did a poor design job on the filler neck.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:11 AM   #28
Platinum Member

And of course everyone else is a bloody expert at the Gas Station.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
And of course everyone else is a bloody expert at the Gas Station.
And that is even worse if you are female...

My 2015 170 on the 1500 was often slow... it's endemic for Roadtreks especially. An issue that only happens occasionally with my Promaster.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:15 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Even with the 170, did they also tamper with the Chevrolet systems?

At least now we have a solution via Booster.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #31

I have a 2005 Roadtrek 170 popular and have the same problem. Some gas stations fill normally, others are a pain and take forever to fill the tank.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #32

agree with venting system. I have the same problem on all of the gmc, and some other trucks, that I own for business. For decades.

I have very little problem at stations that have straight old fashioned pump nozzles. I stand there and restart the nozzle over and over again in those states that have the fumes recapture nozzles, like California, especially if I have just driven interstate and used most of a full tank of gas.

There is no place for all of the air in empty fuel tank to go except through the nozzles recapture system, and the the fuel station doesn't keep their pumping system filters clean, the back pressure builds up the nozzle.

In Oregon, where there are no "self Serve" gas pumps, I enjoy watching the station attendant get frustrated too.

Only solution I have found is to pull the pump nozzle gasket away from fill tube, and let the air burp out. But some of the newer pumps won't pump unless they get a good seal around the fill tube. I try to pull the gasket all the way before I insert the nozzle, push the nozzle in as far as you can, then release the gasket.

Depending on the state your vehicle is registered, this problem is under emission systems federal and state warranty rules for 5-7 years.

From the Picture, looks like about a your vehicle is in the era when it was the worst. It is not a RoadTrek issue, it is a chevy issue and how they tried to meet emission requirements. It is in the same category as the check engine light coming on if the gas cap doesn't seal tight.

One thing you might want to check.. Do you smell gas fumes inside the van after a big fillup, especially one where you might have filled the tank all the way up to the fill cap, or even might leave some gas in the pump nozzle drip out? Or maybe just on a hot day?

The filler neck on that era chevy has had problems with the hose connections from filler cap to fuel tank that deteriorate, and create an air leak. Or the return air hose can get plugged or restricted.
starrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #33
Platinum Member

We recently had this very problem with our '00 chassis 200. The fuel pump failed. We had it replaced by a Chevy dealer, which requires dropping the fuel tank. In brief, they did not put everything back the way they found it. Gas pumps would click off every 0.1-0.2 gallon. Took it back to the dealer, they fixed it for free, admitting they had not reassembled the hoses correctly.

I would take your van to a dealer and tell them it won't accept fuel.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #34

I just noticed Arizona on your post. I had the same problem with my 2012 Escalade just last week (at the family business in Chandler) every time I filled up. Even the Costco attendant couldn't figure out how to fill my tank with out the click, click, click pump cutting off.
Two days later, I filled up at the same pump, but on the other side. That pump only clicked off once. The chevy pickup that was filling on the other side, where I did a few days before, was getting click, click pump on-off.
Same attendant, (Indian School and 44th) he said that the nozzle I was using this time had been pulled off the day before (in an oops, forgot to take the nozzle out before driving away.) So it had a new hose and PUMP FILTER, that long skinny thing where the pump hose connects at the top. If that filter is not changed regularly as part of station maintenance, the back-pressure is in the pump nozzle keeps clicking it off.

I am out of the 111 degree heat, and back home in Washington, with simple pump nozzles and no more problems. (But now I do have to wear my mask to pump gas, and on day 6 of have to stay home for 14 days.)
starrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Never bought this up before but when I go to fill up my tank with Gasoline, on most tanks, its near impossible, to go fast.

I have certain gas stations that I visit where certain.pumps I know its slow but faster than other's.

Is the problem something I am doing, or, the design of the tank due to a Roadtrek Modification?

Same for me. On my third Roadtrek and this is the first with my 2007 RT Pop Chev. I have to turn the handle to 3 oclock (like others said).
CuktDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #36
Bronze Member

Default Ours fills slow too.

Our 2012 Roadtrek 190P fills slow too. We have a 4x4 so our undercarriage configuration is different. I did find the fuel hose was pinched in a metal hose guide strap from the van bottoming out. I had to use large plumbers pliers to un pinch the hose. Even then, she fills slow. I have to put the gas nozzle in the 9 o’clock position to fill. I can’t do 3 o’clock like others because we have an Aluminess ladder in the way.

The worst pumps to deal with are locations that have very high pumping force. When there are other people fueling at the same time, it lessens the fuel flow at my pump which helps me tremendously. It’s been this way since new and I have learned to deal with it well.

You are not alone!
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #37

Default Possible Fix

I live in CA and have struggled a lot with this problem on our 2014 190 Popular. I recently purchased an "aluminum gas pump nozzle key" from Aerostich and it seems to be helping a lot by holding back the rubber collar.

https://www.aerostich.com/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html
jamesv999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Thank you everyone - its the feeling you ate the only one who arrived at a Party of zStrangers in Fancy Dress, once a week for 9 years.

Plus I live in California...
Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #39

I have a 2004 Roadtrek 190 Versatile on a Chevy chassis. Having had to have the fuel pump replaced, which is in the gas tank, I took to a Chevrolet dealer for the work. The mechanic, 25 yr veteran on Chevys, told me that Roadtrek modified the line from the rear/side of the vehicle to the tank, causing my fill problems. The suggestion to remove the rear wheel and use tie wraps to fix any misalignment in the line sounds like a good suggestion. I plan to try that. I've done all the others suggested. Our trip to CA was the worse experience. I think there are stations that set the pumps to be too sensitive to the back pressure.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote