Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 09:34 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I have an 08 Chevy chassis Pleasure-way. I love it, and agree that most of what I've seen on our PW FB Group, Dodge has more complaints, BUT they are also the older model Pleasure-ways. I have never had an issue with the ground clearance, but I'm rarely off the beaten path. My advice, they are both pretty decent, so check out both and get the cleanest one.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:35 PM   #22

As @MKGUITAR points out " moving to a new architecture has drawbacks"
Personally I would stick with what I'm familiar with. That and the difference in clearance would keep me staying with Dodge. Good luck making that decision and I hope your Insurance Co. does right by you
rekkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Default Not Ford?

What about Ford? We have an E250 camper from that era and it is great. Very good ground clearance. Very reliable, especially with the 5.4 Triton engine.

Prior to the E250 we owned a 19-foot '94 Dodge camper. I still can't believe the difference. Our E250 is so much smoother on the road. It's also quieter and has better visibility (much bigger windows up front). Would never go back to a Dodge.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:22 PM   #24
Bronze Member

. . . I am still arguing with the insurance company about the appraised valuation. That can be another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
And perhaps it should be!! If you don't mind my asking, what does the insurance company think a totaled 20+ year old Roadtrek is worth? I know that my 1999 RT 170 would probably list for $20,000-$25,000 from private sellers but I expect that insurance companies would disagree with that valuation.
For my 1997 Dodge Roadtrek Versatile they initially offered 15.3K (including the 8.1% sales tax they are required to pay me). After I pointed out irresponsible errors on the comparison report, they upped it to 17K. They only had one Roadtrek comparison, and when I asked for more comps they refused to give any more. I activated my appraisal clause where I hire an appraiser (Petty Details llc), the insurance does the same, and they come up with an amount. I will post when I get a final amount.
Bert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:16 AM   #25
Bronze Member

Well first of all sorry about the wreck. I think you will figure this out as it sounds like you have good experience. I am very new to all this having only owned our 2002 Dodge 3500 Popular 190 for less than two years. Buying it is another story but my wife and I, and adult kids, have put 15,000 miles on it since purchase. It has been a real serendipity for us having only tent camped years ago and also some pop up trailer time. The RT is amazing and we cannot wait to get rolling again, perhaps an across the good ol USA trip this year. I'd suggest looking at the original RT brochures which are available online. It appears to me the Chevy was the more optioned rig and the Dodge more basic. We are very happy with the Dodge and I think it's mechanics are tried and true; however that may be the same for the Chevy. We do not do much off road but the low clearance of Chevy seem to be a significant issue. No troubles for me with the Dodge 3500. All the best. Stay safe.
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:37 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Food for thought - my 2008 Roadtrek 210 on the Chevy Express 3500 chassis has not had a single recall. I don't believe any of the other manufactures can make that claim!!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote