Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Chevy Roadtrek Brake Light and Rear Camera

2014 Chevy Roadtrek 190 Popular. The high mount brake light housing has two holes melted through the plastic housing over the bulbs, and the integrated rear camera is not working.

Took it apart today. Brake lights appear to be working normally. That’s the good news. The housing is integrated in the factory black plastic over the rear doors, so I assumed it was a Chevy part. Wrong! Dealer says there was no rear camera, and it’s a Roadtrek part. Dead end. To make matters worse, I managed to drop the housing, and it was so brittle it broke into several pieces.

Anybody know where Roadtrek sourced the replacement brake light housing with integrated camera mount? They must have ordered it from some aftermarket supplier.

Failing that, I am going to remove the rear camera and install an OEM Chevy brake light. Hoping it’s better quality than whatever RT used, which was not sealed against water intrusion.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Maybe you can find a suitable replacement on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chevy+express+camera
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Maybe you can find a suitable replacement on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chevy+express+camera
Wow! You're good. The first one in the link looks like an exact replacement, at least the housing does. Wish I could get a better look at how the brake lights are mounted. I don't really want the same set-up again. But thanks for pointing me to Amazon. I'll keep poking around.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
Gold Member

Not sure this is a common problem.
I dont recall it being a topic before on the forum and our 2004 and 2013 RT 190s have the original parts intact.
It may be a one off production run defect.
If others have had the problem please chime in.
BJ
FL Keys and Chesapeak Bay areas.
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The unit RT installed on mine was not sealed against water entry. Since my coach sat for most of a year nose down (which caused a number of water related problems), it appears water pooled in the brake light area, causing extensive corrosion and probably a short that melted the plastic. It was a poorly designed, non-Chevy part. I looked over the aftermarket replacements, some of which appeared to have the same problem, and decided to install a sealed OEM Chevy brake light, no camera, for now. I left the camera wire in place in case I find a suitable aftermarket unit later.

I haven't really missed the camera, thanks to very good side mirrors.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The unit RT installed on mine was not sealed against water entry. Since my coach sat for most of a year nose down (which caused a number of water related problems), it appears water pooled in the brake light area, causing extensive corrosion and probably a short that melted the plastic. It was a poorly designed, non-Chevy part. I looked over the aftermarket replacements, some of which appeared to have the same problem, and decided to install a sealed OEM Chevy brake light, no camera, for now. I left the camera wire in place in case I find a suitable aftermarket unit later.

I haven't really missed the camera, thanks to very good side mirrors.
My Chevy Express-based Airstream Avenue (think of your 190P but with galley and bath reversed to opposite sides) is the first vehicle I've owned with a backup camera. While I agree the Chevy side mirrors are excellent for removing blind spots while driving, I really appreciate the rear view camera as I would be backing almost blind without it.

After an initial adjustment period to just rely on the camera, it is very reassuring to have when backing up. If mine were to go out, I'd consider it a mandatory safety feature to replace immediately. The good news is you left the existing wiring.

As far as your overall repairs, is the camera your last remaining issue?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I’m used to backing a trailer, so by comparison, this is easy.

There are a couple of minor issues left, but it’s ready to travel. Thanks for asking. It’s been a steep learning curve. Last thing is plumbing. Never used a macerator system before. The plumbing was checked in the fall just prior to winterizing, so hoping for smooth sailing there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

Default My Camera is horribly positioned in the door handle

I just purchased a 2015 190 Popular (chassis is a 2014 Chevy Express) with the backup camera in the door handle of the rear cargo door, which is an absolutely horrible location nestled next to the spare tire. The continental tire blocks half the field of view and casts a shadow over the camera where the image is quite dark. It really is a ridiculous position to have it so low in the first place, but with the tire there it's half a camera.

Does anybody think it would be a problem to install the brake light replacement part, like in the amazon link above and just replace the camera? So long as it reaches, it seems like the wiring harness would have a clear pathway to the new location. Are the cables and signals generally universal? I assume the activation by selecting the reverse gear and the direction guides from the steering are all controlled in the NAV system monitor or some other chassis controller?
danpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:04 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I looked back at the link in post #2 by markopolo and saw the one you reference. Combines a camera into the rear center brake light. I can't vouch for it's quality as I've never had to replace my rear view camera so have not used this one. But is seems an easy replacement once you find the power and video cables to hook into.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I looked back at the link in post #2 by markopolo and saw the one you reference. Combines a camera into the rear center brake light. I can't vouch for it's quality as I've never had to replace my rear view camera so have not used this one. But is seems an easy replacement once you find the power and video cables to hook into.
Thank you for the response. I was just looking around at manuals and it appears the chassis normally does have the camera at the brake light (though it seems leak complaints are common) and the light wiring looks standard. Based on the wiring harness of the door camera, the ground and power wires should be no problem, but I'd have to cut an RCA connector and splice the two video feed wires. But I won't really know for sure until I remove the inside door panels. Plus there's some snaking to do along the frame. Definitely a moderate complexity replacement with some risk that the video feed won't be compatible (different lines of resolution). Maybe I'll pass.
danpar is offline   Reply With Quote