Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Chevy Roadtrek Skylight Window Covers

Our Arizona climate has done a number on the interior covers for the three small roof windows on our Chevy Roadtrek. They are warped and brittle, and when I was driving yesterday the large center one cracked and fell down. The covers are important to us for light and heat control- we rarely take them off.

I'm not exactly mourning the factory covers because they never fit very well. For the moment I have pieces of Reflectix cut a bit large and friction fit in the openings. I'd like to add decorative covers over the Reflectix held in place by the factory clips.

Can anyone recommend a thin material (1/8", maybe) that would be stiff enough to span the largest window (about 20"x8") without sagging? I am thinking some kind of plastic or composite that wouldn't be affected by temperature and humidity variations, but open to all suggestions.

Good news is we're actually getting out for a little mini-vacation in Flagstaff next week!
Old 08-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

1/8 acrylic/plexiglass from home depot

easily cut with jigsaw or a rotozip/dremel

or you could do same with a wood composite material or even formica

on our PW the 2 windows have a curtain on rails above and below - I put reflectix in place 6 years ago and closed the curtains...done

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Made ours out of infrastop double mylar reflective
Insulation. Made them for all of the windows and have noticable decrease in temperature inside.
Total cost was less than $75 for all the windows.
2007 RT 210 Versatile.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA357 View Post
Made ours out of infrastop double mylar reflective
Insulation. Made them for all of the windows and have noticable decrease in temperature inside.
Total cost was less than $75 for all the windows.
2007 RT 210 Versatile.
Yes, I have Reflectix on all the windows, including (now) the roof skylight windows. I googled "Infrastop" and it seems to be pretty much the same.

The other windows have shades that cover the Reflectix and help keep it from sagging and shifting. The roof windows originally had stiff plastic panels that clipped in place. I was hoping to replicate those panels.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
Gold Member

I will be using Expanded PVC to replace my covers.

I have used this product for other projects and find it lighter and more rigid than solid plastic in areas with minimal support. Available in various colors and thicknesses.

An example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...2521/205760182
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of product I was thinking of.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:02 AM   #7
Bronze Member

I used the foil bubble material found at most hardware stores. I then glued ferrite magnets to the frames, also from Ace Hardware. Cut the foil to size and glued magnets to the material. Snaps in place and when not in use I roll it up. The reflective foil really cuts the heat.
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammernine View Post
I used the foil bubble material found at most hardware stores. I then glued ferrite magnets to the frames, also from Ace Hardware. Cut the foil to size and glued magnets to the material. Snaps in place and when not in use I roll it up. The reflective foil really cuts the heat.

Yes, that's what I have in there at the moment. Got a pretty good friction fit by cutting slightly large. I still plan to buy some grey "expanded PVC" to go over them to restore the original appearance. Hoping the foil bubble will prevent the UV deterioration that caused the factory covers to fail, as well as reduce heat gain.