Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 10:02 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theputnams515 View Post
I did mine this way too.

Also as a side note, just to add confusion…

The manufacturer told me the wire to the starter is optional. I understand why you would want it. However would this also stop your ability to start off the house battery should your starter battery go dead?
Actually manual joining is not an option on the 7610 ACR.
The 7622 (I believe) is capable of switching to that.

My situation would call for a jumper cable for that purpose.

Also, that optional starter wire is to suppress joining while the starter is occuring (to prevent hugh in-rush current it seems) .
Not so much a problem on our Rv... More of a boating equipment protection it seems.

That starter wire doesn't provide anything to do with house batteries starting the engine when starter battery is low.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:18 PM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Toad View Post
Actually manual joining is not an option on the 7610 ACR.
The 7622 (I believe) is capable of switching to that.

My situation would call for a jumper cable for that purpose.

Also, that optional starter wire is to suppress joining while the starter is occuring (to prevent hugh in-rush current it seems) .
Not so much a problem on our Rv... More of a boating equipment protection it seems.

That starter wire doesn't provide anything to do with house batteries starting the engine when starter battery is low.
Gotcha. Yeah he said it was to protect sonar, radar type equipment.

Mine has worked flawlessly for over a year, you will be happy with yours!
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:39 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gotcha. Yeah he said it was to protect sonar, radar type equipment.

Mine has worked flawlessly for over a year, you will be happy with yours!
I started this project while in Colo Spgs for Summer and am just now finishing up in Fl.

Have had tremendous support from all the folks here on Class B.

Thanks to all.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:00 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did mine this way too.

Also as a side note, just to add confusion…

The manufacturer told me the wire to the starter is optional. I understand why you would want it. However would this also stop your ability to start off the house battery should your starter battery go dead?
The RT did not have the built in ability to use the house battery for starting. I never had to in about 100k miles that we owned it but if it were necessary one could simply jump the two battery systems at the ACR or the old diode isolator.

The Safari does have a switch on the dash to join the two systems and it was unaffected by the ACR install to replace the diode unit.

I would think not wiring in the starter interrupt wire one would be overloading the rating on the ACR from the current surge which would tend to induce premature failure.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:06 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
The RT did not have the built in ability to use the house battery for starting. I never had to in about 100k miles that we owned it but if it were necessary one could simply jump the two battery systems at the ACR or the old diode isolator.

The Safari does have a switch on the dash to join the two systems and it was unaffected by the ACR install to replace the diode unit.

I would think not wiring in the starter interrupt wire one would be overloading the rating on the ACR from the current surge which would tend to induce premature failure.

Most of the older Roadtreks with the isolators don't have big enough wiring to do that kind of connection. Probably just 6ga with 50 amp or less circuit breakers.

The only way to do it would be to jumper it and don't start the vehicle with the jumper in place. You may get enough charging from the coach batteries to give it enough charge to start, or you may wind up with all dead batteries.

If you have a generator, just start it and jumper the isolator and let the shore charger charge the starting battery.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:32 AM   #26
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Most of the older Roadtreks with the isolators don't have big enough wiring to do that kind of connection. Probably just 6ga with 50 amp or less circuit breakers.

The only way to do it would be to jumper it and don't start the vehicle with the jumper in place. You may get enough charging from the coach batteries to give it enough charge to start, or you may wind up with all dead batteries.

If you have a generator, just start it and jumper the isolator and let the shore charger charge the starting battery.
You guys are great resources. This site has been a goldmine of info.

Booster I think we will be redoing our electric for solar and Li ion in the near future. A shop down the road that we trust has some good systems, so they say.

I’ll be reaching out to you for opinions in the near future. If you don’t mind
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote