Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Chevy RT 200p owners pkease help with stock battery isolator location

hi all,

I noticed my isolator seems to be faulty as my chassis bat was drained this weekend by coach appliances.

I would like to replace the stock unit with a separator. I am sure it is stock and 20 years old and need to be replaced anyway.

Where did roadtrek put the stock unit? I cant seem to find it.

Also I am planning on popping in a new Eaton separator used on more modern RTs stock.

Thanks for the help!
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hey,
There are some 200 owners here- someone will be along.

On my Pleasure Way the isolator is on the engine bay firewall- you should be able to follow the alternator wire from the alt to the seperator
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:09 AM   #3
Silver Member

I found ours.

Tell me if this sounds correct for colors:

Red from all
Black from all
Red from Aug bat remote
Black fromnaux batt remote

Mine has a mystery brown and yellow 18awg coming straight out and going through firewall.

I'm concerned about these i have no idea what to do with these
Old 09-22-2020, 02:31 AM   #4
Gold Member

New member here. Mine is at the bottom of the engine bay about 2' below the battery. I can follow the + cable to it. Also can see it from underneath the front.
1997 Roadtrek 200 Versatile - Chevy 5.7L
KaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:05 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I replaced my diode isolator with this from Blue Sea.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OTIPDQ...p_mob_ap_share

It is a 2 way unit so it also charges the chassis battery when plugged in, using the genny, or solar charging. Very low current draw.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I replaced my diode isolator with this from Blue Sea.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OTIPDQ...p_mob_ap_share

It is a 2 way unit so it also charges the chassis battery when plugged in, using the genny, or solar charging. Very low current draw.
Steve would you mind sharing the install procedure with me?

I was thinking of using this 1315-200 Sure Power Battery Separator | Connector Concepts, Inc.

But I am interested in comparing and the easier the setup the better
Old 09-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theputnams515 View Post
Steve would you mind sharing the install procedure with me?

I was thinking of using this 1315-200 Sure Power Battery Separator | Connector Concepts, Inc.

But I am interested in comparing and the easier the setup the better
No problem.
First off, disconnect all batteries, solar, and shore power. Label the wires at the isolator. Unhook the wiring and examine for bad connections. A couple of mine looked a bit dicey so I cleaned them up and put new cable ends on them. You will not be using the skinny wire anymore so cap that off securely.

As far as mounting the new unit I ran in a couple of self tapping screws.

There are only two large mounting posts. You will combine the chassis wire as well as whatever was mounted to the center post on one post and the coach battery to the other. You will also have to run a new skinny wire from the indicated spade terminal to the starter solenoid positive wire. This instantly opens the battery connection so there is not a surge of current coming from the coach battery that would overload the separator.

I didn't install the optional led indicator light.

Hope this all helps. Heading home in a few minutes from AR. Beta is chasing me out early.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
Silver Member

Thanks again steve.

So let me get this correct. Disco all the 12v batts.

On my isolator there are various reds, a black, Im not too concerned about those.

I am concerned about the skinny brown and skinny yellow wires going to the firewall. I have no idea what these are. They seem to be part of the isolator itself.

Now when you say isolator we are talking the unit up fron screwed to the frame connected to the alternator. Is this correct?

I will basically only be replacing this unit and working with this unit?

I am a complete RV newb. I have worked on various jeeps, MGs etc over the years but this RV thing is nuts. I feel like I am in a foreign land here
Old 09-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I found ours.

Tell me if this sounds correct for colors:

Red from all
Black from all
Red from Aug bat remote
Black fromnaux batt remote

Mine has a mystery brown and yellow 18awg coming straight out and going through firewall.

I'm concerned about these i have no idea what to do with these
My guess is the 18ga. is an ignition wire. Used to tell the system that the engine is on, thus allowing charge to the coach batteries. It carries only that signal, which is why it is of such small gauge.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
My guess is the 18ga. is an ignition wire. Used to tell the system that the engine is on, thus allowing charge to the coach batteries. It carries only that signal, which is why it is of such small gauge.
I assume this as well. I should be able to just connect that to the appropriate spot on the new unit? I dunno
Old 09-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member

If you have solar or will add solar then the Blue Sea SI-ACR unit Steve mentioned is a better choice in my opinion because it uses less power.

The relay drive current on the Sure Power 1315-200 is around 1.5A compared to 0.175A for the Blue Sea SI-ACR. So like 18 watts vs 2 watts to power the relay.

Blue Sea also has even more efficient bi-stable relays rated for 500A continuous current if needed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I assume this as well. I should be able to just connect that to the appropriate spot on the new unit? I dunno
Just test it with a multimeter first. If it is ignition related, wire should only be hot when key is turned.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks again steve.

So let me get this correct. Disco all the 12v batts.

On my isolator there are various reds, a black, Im not too concerned about those.

I am concerned about the skinny brown and skinny yellow wires going to the firewall. I have no idea what these are. They seem to be part of the isolator itself.

Now when you say isolator we are talking the unit up fron screwed to the frame connected to the alternator. Is this correct?

I will basically only be replacing this unit and working with this unit?

I am a complete RV newb. I have worked on various jeeps, MGs etc over the years but this RV thing is nuts. I feel like I am in a foreign land here
You will not be using the skinny wire (s) on the new unit, just a skinny wire to the chassis engine starter solenoid.

One would expect only one skinny wire to your current isolator, apparently someone did a little custom wiring. Anyone's guess as to what the deal is there, but I would do a little wire tracing to see what's what.

Isolator is screwed onto the frame, correct.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #14
Silver Member

Steve, it looks like yellow wire goes from E terminal on isolator to a 10 amp spot on Chassis fuse panel to relay And the black skinny goes from b1 to same relay in driver footwell. I will assume this is the starter relay.

Both wires yellow and black end up up at the “starter” Relay. I assume neither will be used and I’ll use a red jumper from starter solenoid to the new unit instead.

Does this sound correct?

So more digging.

The yellow wire goes to the fuse for the radio on the chassis. This makes sense as I believe this is used to send power to the radio through the ignition switch and then on to the isolator to energize it to allow current to the coach battery system when the vehicle is started/on. The black is just the ground wire for this and grounds at the same relay.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Steve, it looks like yellow wire goes from E terminal on isolator to a 10 amp spot on Chassis fuse panel to relay And the black skinny goes from b1 to same relay in driver footwell. I will assume this is the starter relay.

Both wires yellow and black end up up at the “starter” Relay. I assume neither will be used and I’ll use a red jumper from starter solenoid to the new unit instead.

Does this sound correct?
I'm not there to see it so maybe I guess.

The old isolator needed constant power on the skinny wire, the Blue Sea unit skinny wire should only have power when the starter is engaged as it acts to disengage the connection.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
No problem.
First off, disconnect all batteries, solar, and shore power. Label the wires at the isolator. Unhook the wiring and examine for bad connections. A couple of mine looked a bit dicey so I cleaned them up and put new cable ends on them. You will not be using the skinny wire anymore so cap that off securely.

As far as mounting the new unit I ran in a couple of self tapping screws.

There are only two large mounting posts. You will combine the chassis wire as well as whatever was mounted to the center post on one post and the coach battery to the other. You will also have to run a new skinny wire from the indicated spade terminal to the starter solenoid positive wire. This instantly opens the battery connection so there is not a surge of current coming from the coach battery that would overload the separator.

I didn't install the optional led indicator light.

Hope this all helps. Heading home in a few minutes from AR. Beta is chasing me out early.
Steve... How did you handle the Ground wire requirement on the spade lug of the ACR-7610 ? It looks to be mandatory to correct operation of the device.
(From Lady Lake lol)
Old 10-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Toad View Post
Steve... How did you handle the Ground wire requirement on the spade lug of the ACR-7610 ? It looks to be mandatory to correct operation of the device.
(From Lady Lake lol)
[off topic]

Hiya neighbor. You are quite close by. We have sold the Roadtrek and replaced it with a Safari Trek but we should still hook up. I'm currently dry camping up near Bristol, TN, playing on the motorcycle for a couple of weeks. PM sent.

[/off topic]

I mounted the ACR with self tapping screws into steel, the ground wire simply had a ring connector that I used on one of the mounting self tapping screws. One could put a disconnect switch on the ground wire to cut off charging to the house battery if desired.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
[off topic]

Hiya neighbor. You are quite close by. We have sold the Roadtrek and replaced it with a Safari Trek but we should still hook up. I'm currently dry camping up near Bristol, TN, playing on the motorcycle for a couple of weeks. PM sent.

[/off topic]

I mounted the ACR with self tapping screws into steel, the ground wire simply had a ring connector that I used on one of the mounting self tapping screws. One could put a disconnect switch on the ground wire to cut off charging to the house battery if desired.
Did you mount it down where the original isolator was?

[/off topic]

Bristol is my ancestorial home..
Old 10-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Toad View Post
Did you mount it down where the original isolator was?

[/off topic]

Bristol is my ancestorial home..
Yup.

[off topic]
Small world, eh?

Later.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
[off topic]

[/off topic]

I did mine this way too.

Also as a side note, just to add confusion…

The manufacturer told me the wire to the starter is optional. I understand why you would want it. However would this also stop your ability to start off the house battery should your starter battery go dead?