Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Chevy transmission leak fix

I figured I would put this up just so it will show up in future searches for everyone.

I just got done replacing the shifter shaft seal in my 1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon that has a GM 4L60E automatic. It appears that many of the other GM transmissions use the same seal from the old Turbo 350s and 400s up to 4L80E in the big vans.

It also appears they are very prone to leaking from what I have read since finding mine leaking n the Buick. Never had GM stuff before the van and Buick.

The good thing is that they make a really slick, really cheap tool to get the seal out of the transmission without removing the shaft which would mean at least removing the pan and maybe removing the transmission.

One nut to remove on the lever on the shaft, pull seal with tool, replace seal with tool, put the lever and nut back on. Took less than 10 minutes and cost under $10 for the tool and the seal.

With it this easy and cheap to do, no more reason to put up with the puddles on the floor and driveway, or to have a shop tell you it is a $100 fix (which they told someone I know a while ago).
booster is offline   Reply With Quote