Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Child safety seats

I have been looking at purchasing a class b for a little bit. Currently the budget allows up to 20k. I have a family with a son currently in a booster seat and a 3 year old daughter that requires a child seat that gets strapped to the metal frame of a traditional car seat.
My question is there a model that would allow me to legally travel with my daughter in the class b? A special after market vest perhaps? I thought about taking one of those wooden bottomed passenger seats in a RoadTrek Versatile 190 and replacing it with a standard seat to support a child car seat. Is that possible?
I am willing to have a professional place to do it for legal purchases. I have looked for posts on this and didn’t see any so I apologize in advance if I missed them.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello, Here is a link to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, (Federal Government. Reviewing this link may show you what you want in a car seat.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/car-...-booster-seats

As for a Class B Van at 20K, is not impossible. The point is it will be USED and maybe much more than you want. My suggestion is if you must have a van why not think of a new full-size van with say two rows of seats. NOW ask yourself and your spouse what you will both need and do a conversation. You can also use the van as a run around vehicle, schools, and alike sports activities. Plus it would be fun doing a conversation.

Off the top of my head a place for all four of you to sleep, window blinds/curtains. Port-able potty. In cast into a box, you can use to seat on when no in use. Blader tank for holding water you can move about.

So ask yourself what all could you use a new van?
A conversation starts with some good friends as a fun project. But get your ideas on paper first. Just my thoughts.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I have been looking at purchasing a class b for a little bit. Currently the budget allows up to 20k. I have a family with a son currently in a booster seat and a 3 year old daughter that requires a child seat that gets strapped to the metal frame of a traditional car seat.
My question is there a model that would allow me to legally travel with my daughter in the class b? A special after market vest perhaps? I thought about taking one of those wooden bottomed passenger seats in a RoadTrek Versatile 190 and replacing it with a standard seat to support a child car seat. Is that possible?
I am willing to have a professional place to do it for legal purchases. I have looked for posts on this and didn’t see any so I apologize in advance if I missed them.
We had 85 Westfalia like this one https://www.autolist.com/volkswagen-...ZB025XFH038647. Sleeping 4-5, sitting 5-7. This fellow ordered a rock & roll seat from EU for his Westfalia like conversion for family of 3 https://ourkaravan.com/ . Rock & roll seats with TUV approval are available in NA but I don’t remember who sells them, certainly this is just part of potential conversion cost. Rock & roll seats solve sleeping and sitting for 2. Child sleeping can be arranged across front seats. Good luck hunting.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #4

Those rock and roll seats look a lot like what I should consider. Thanks.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote