Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Chinook camper van knowledge sought

My daughter is looking at a 1994 Chinook Premier camper van that is for sale. At least that's what the ad says. I've never seen a Chinook that wasn't a wide-body. This one is a standard Ford van width with a high top and all the RV stuff inside.

Does anyone have knowledge about Chinook offerings back 30 years ago? This van "looks" ok in the pics but seller admits it hasn't been started in 5 years and needs some attention. He's selling "as is" for $5500. Odometer shows 67K.

If she does this, I'll be roped into helping in the decision and in getting it running. Let me know what to look for.
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Google search returns a bunch of images and brochures for the '94 Premier.
Shows as we expect a wide body on a cutaway chassis.
Chinooks are pretty nice but the typical layout didn't work for us when we were shopping years ago.

Good luck reviving a disused van
"Ran when parked" sometimes seems to mean "ran, then died...so we pushed it over there"
I'd start by assuming everything needs to be done.
Should have a 460- probably tough on MPG.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

yes I've sean images of chinooks w/ just a roof. I actualley wanted a chinook but there very hard to come by.
know this the older than 1997 it's 3 speed trans w/out overdrive. very cool vans I liked the side sofa sleeper an dinete, and the rear door for hauling when need be.

those old fords will look like a anquich very dependable fuel hog on expressway.

edit: I agree w/ Mike exspecialley w/ low miles all rubber seals need replacing.also those old odometers can be rolled back w/ a coathanger wire though the bottom of dash or it's got 167K.
I'd go for it and plan a GM LS engine trans swap. heck it's priced as a roller.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:31 PM   #4
Silver Member

Default Chinook Owner

I have a 2001 Chinook Premier. One in very good shape would sell anywhere from the high $30k's to the mid $40k's. The asking price would scare the heck out of me!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote