Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Default Choosing between two used RoadTreks. Help!

Is there someone knowledgeable out there that might be willing to listen to my choices and help put in into knowledgeable perspective?
I have two used RT Agiles, 2007 and a 2009 that I can buy. I don't know enough about what I'm doing to make a choice. Both owners are waiting for a decision.
Any help would be appreciated.
Nancy
Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Are those for sale and you are wondering which one to purchase?

Or, do you already own them and are trying to determine which one to sell?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

They are for sale and I'm trying to decide which one to buy.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

More details please.

Off the top of my head:

(1) Mileage
(2) Tire condition
(3) Are rv systems identical or are their differences, specifically battery bank type/size?
(4) price
Old 11-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

+1 on the mileage question

Is there a difference on the mileage on the two RV's?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #6

From the ad:
2007 Agile: Engine/drivetrain: Mercedes 5 cyl turbocharged diesel, Mercedes drivetrain. Mileage has never been below 20 MPG and sometimes gets near 28 (highway). Miles as of today: 43,050. All service conducted at a Dodge dealership (which does Mercedes-based Sprinter work).
New macerator pump and hoses. Interior is in great shape; new tires (11,000 miles) and body in great shape. New 12 volt battery. Full maintenance records.
This Agile is located in the south, never driven on salt/sand.
It is located near an airport and there is an inspector close by so we can have the full monty inspection done.

The other is a 2009 Agile with 49,000 miles, 27,000 miles on the tires. New starter and Battery replaced in spring 2015, so this is probably not the coach battery.

Located out in the middle of nowhere, so inspection could be very difficult to get. It was driven from it's home up north to FL in March of each year and driven on dry roads once a month to charge battery, so it's probably seen some salt. Stored outside on a pad in summer inside in winter.

I guess the 2007 has the 5 cyl engine and the 2009 the 6 cyl. We'd be towing two mid sized motorcycles in an enclosed trailer.

Any perspective you can give me?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I like the info about the 2007. Less mileage, better mpg, no salt, newer tires.

But Sprinter owners here report that the newer 6 cyl will run quieter and has more power ....... The newer chassis is reported to handle a bit better/smoother.

Tough decision and I understand the haste after tracking the classifieds recently.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

The difference in price is only $2000.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #9

We found an inspector in WI, so we could get a full inspection.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Here's a good link re: the older SS Agile: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f9...printer-2.html

and

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f9...agile-576.html

The chassis change occurred in 2007 so it's possible some late year builds were on the newer chassis.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I would go with the 2007.

Better records and condition info , new tires, new battery, macerator pump, mpg records.

5 cyl vs 6? There was a change in Sprinter models about that time - T1N to NCV3?? Others here can comment on pros/cons on that.

Just re-reading your description I can hear the "positive" in your description of the 2007; you don't sound too excited about the 2009. Sounds like you want someone to convince you that the 6 cyl. engine is better.

Go with the 2007.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #12

Thnaks. I've previously read those. Just did a bunch reading on the difference between a T1N and NCV3 sprinter. I'm more confused than ever.
Gak!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I would go with the one I could see. The 2009 is the better vehicle. V6 engine and bigger in dimension. Much better ride and cab. Quieter. For $2,000 and two year difference I would go with the 2009.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
Platinum Member

If you type "T1N Sprinter vs NCV3" in google, you will find a number of discussions on pros and cons. My understanding is both do not require DEF (NCV3 does require DEF beginning in 2010?).

Question: Have you driven both of them? Now I know there is some distance between them, so comparisons may be difficult, but do you remember any noticeable difference in power or ride/handling? Did you prefer one over the other?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #15

We haven't seen either one. We are in Connecticut. The 2007 is in Virginia, the 2009 is inn northern Wisconsin. We've been inside a new one and inside a 2007, but never driven either.
At the end of the day, we'd likely be happy with either.
Starting a pro con list.
Nancy
Old 11-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #16

We have less information about the 2009. But, either one would be inspected.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Glad that Davydd posted - I trust Davydd's advice; I think he has owned both Mercedes versions, and if not, I'm pretty sure he has done his homework.

But I do think you need to go and see them, but can you afford - time and $ - to see both? And do you have the time to it now, before owner(s) get another offer.

Virginia is closer; a day's drive. But winter is coming and most likely will hit Wisconsin first, but that likely means flying there.

Trusting Davydd's assessment on the 2009 model - newer, better engine/chassis, better ride, a bit bigger dimensions, one scenario is go to Wisconsin now, see it, have an inspection. If it all checks out, go for it; be prepared to arrange $$ right then and there and drive it home. If it doesn't feel right, or mechanic finds something off, then go to Virginia.

That's just one scenario.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Just because a Class B might be in northern Wisconsin that is no indicator it might have been in salt and snow. In my 10 years I have never driven my Class Bs in the winter when there was salt and snow on the road in Minnesota. I do drive my cars that way and there is no indication that has been an issue with them. If they both have less than 50,000 miles on them I doubt either was used as an everyday driver. I'd be more worried about a Class B near a coastal city exposed to fog.

Neither should have much wear and tear with that mileage unless the owners were pigs. I went 61,000 and 65,000 miles with my first two and they were still in top shape with little or no noticeable wear.

Yes, I have had both Sprinter models. DEF came in with the 2010 chassis year. Along with DEF mileage went down a tad but horsepower went up. Even so, the 2009 (NVC3) V6 Sprinter has more acceleration than the 2007 (T1N) I-5 Sprinter. That is mostly important on freeway ramps where I noticed the most difference. The V6 doesn't have the engine rattling diesel sound as much. Size wise I believe the NCV3 is about 1.5" wider than the T1N. I don't know about the length.

There is something else about the early Agile's that weren't quite right. I talked to an Agile owner about it at Zion NP. Now it escapes me but it had something to do with waste tank setup I think and he was perturbed about it because it was corrected in the next model iteration after his.

As for aesthetics, I like the newer look but that is opinion. Not opinion is the NCV3 looks more current and less dated. The cab amenities are better and the seating and tilt steering wheel is more automobile like than the T1N bus like steering wheel. I was comfortable in both in long drives but the 2009 was nicer. I could hardly hear our radio in the T1N.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
.............There is something else about the early Agile's that weren't quite right. I talked to an Agile owner about it at Zion NP. Now it escapes me but it had something to do with waste tank setup I think and he was perturbed about it because it was corrected in the next model iteration after his.................
I remember something about waste tank blocking the jack lifting point from Sprinter Source forum: Agile's bottle jack lift provision is covered by the Gray tank. - Sprinter-Forum

Not sure if that's the same issue that owner talked to you about or not.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #20

We're moving forward on the 2009 Agile. Thanks for your input.