Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #1

Default City Water Hookup Problem

I just bought a Roadtrek motor home. I read the manual about hooking up to the city water. I closed the intake valve so that it would not fill the tanks. I hooked up the motor home to the water at my house after attaching a pressure regulator. I used a 100 foot hose. When I turned on the water, the pressure showed 40 psi. I turned on the spigot but no water came out. I cannot figure out why water doesn't flow. I have looked at the manual several times. The water definitely flows into the tanks because they fill. But I cannot get water to flow when I solely hooked up to city / home water. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
TBrownJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If you have plumbing diagram you could check where this “intake valve” is located, perhaps it is turning off main water to the van. My system is likely different, to fill the tank I need to activate “fill” solenoid valve.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Our 2015 Roadtrek Agile SS has the same setup. You've taken the right steps.

If you detach the water from the camper, does water flow when you turn on the spigot?
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If water comes out of the hose when you disconnect the hose from the RV and turn it on, I would suggest that maybe the check valve at the hose connection to the RV might be corroded and stuck. You should be able to stick your finger into the connection and press the spring loaded valve. If it doesn't move you need to see about freeing it up.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

JMO and that of many. I NEVER used the city hook up. So many issues on many different forums. Why not just fill as needed. Keeps the water fresh, if you want to run out, simply unplug the electric. If you go for a hike etc, simply flip the water pump off, and no worries about a busted pipe and flooding. I'll never understand the advantage, but then again, as mentioned JMO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
JMO and that of many. I NEVER used the city hook up. So many issues on many different forums. Why not just fill as needed. Keeps the water fresh, if you want to run out, simply unplug the electric. If you go for a hike etc, simply flip the water pump off, and no worries about a busted pipe and flooding.
This is actually what I do for all of the same reasons.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrownJr View Post
I just bought a Roadtrek motor home. I read the manual about hooking up to the city water. I closed the intake valve so that it would not fill the tanks. I hooked up the motor home to the water at my house after attaching a pressure regulator. I used a 100 foot hose. When I turned on the water, the pressure showed 40 psi. I turned on the spigot but no water came out. I cannot figure out why water doesn't flow. I have looked at the manual several times. The water definitely flows into the tanks because they fill. But I cannot get water to flow when I solely hooked up to city / home water. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
We had a Hymer and had same issue.... there is a turn off valve under sink to direct from tank to system.... not well documented in manuals, but can find on FB groups of same....
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Do yourself a favor and do not hook up to city water. You have a holding tank that takes just a few minutes to fill. Keeps the water fresh, no worries about too much pressure, flooding while away, simple to unhook just the electric if you want to run out, etc. JMO and that of many others.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote